All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:53 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Decision is in. I really like this kite. I have used it for several long sessions this weekend, and the kite is very nice. I used it both in waves and choppy (semi-flat) for jumping. It relaunches nicely and overall seems like a solid kite. For the money...very nice.

Alex

Post subject: troubled
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:35 pm 
Medium Poster

Hey guys ,wondering if you could give me a quick hand here.Mr Alex if you could also post ,I would really appreciate it as maybe you know why.
I received a couple months ago the viper boa 10m.
Now when i receved his kite I noticed it wouldn't fly on the viper bar.Luckily I had ordered the ss bar as well.So like yourself hooked myself up and self launched a breeze and it flies beautifully(a little uncomfortable in gusts but a good flier none the less), haven't had many windy opportunities of late but recently noticed that everytime i water launch (9/10 to the left )I find that the left steering line doesn't have tension straight away and leads the kite swiftly to the right. now i am not sure if it is the oneline that is catching the steering line as it does tend to get stuck in the tubing (i still waiting for the stopper ball to convert it to the outside) or if it is something else. If so please advise and also what oneline pigtail are you using for your 10m .thank you all in advance.
regards rory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:16 pm 
Medium Poster

Please refer to my previous post as i was out today for a couple hours, the first for a long time now and had the same thing happening but was a little bit worried as there were people in the water and found it difficult to relaunch in the water and had to swim back to shore and relaunch further upwind in order to achieve a safe relaunch.
anyone
PLEASE ADVISE
regards rory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:44 pm 
Medium Poster

Was contacted today by kitehigh which just happen to offer fantastic service and follow up on it as well.
And offered a few solutions to my problems.
As it happens I haven't had much prior experience in kiteboarding, just the basics. Learned on other peoples kite setups,so when it came to receiving my first kite I had no idea how to tune it up.had a few friends who were here have a look at it but in the end decided the ss bar was much easier to use and since then left it be as my time is limited through the summer so i prefer to spend it on the water and not trying to figure the line setup out.I have received more info from kitehigh support on the situation and as soon as winter comes will look into it a little closer.until then as i previously said the kite flies a dream but would appreciate some info on the ss bar where the lines keep snagging on a waer relaunch.
regards rory

Post subject: ??? so
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:50 pm 
Rare Poster

These kites are made by whom ?
annd what are the prices you pay....
How is the warrenty and bladders,
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:09 pm 
Medium Poster

The kites are made by Viperkiteboarding and are marketed by kitehigh.
I bought my first kite from them and they have been with me almost every step of the way ,including a rip in the canopy and true to their word the matter was sorted in a matter of days.Apart from an initial setback the kite handles itself very well in the air and I am sure will keep doing so as the material and workmanship on it has left a few of my friends here envious ,especially after they hear about the prices .Check it out for yourself on http://www.viperkiteboarding.com or http://www.kitehigh.com.
Not to sure about the bladders ,but for the past four months now haven't had any problems yet but do know they guarantee the kite for the first month ,after that I am assured they will be there for you for any discretion that you may have. Probably sell spare bladders though.
Hope this helps
Regards Rory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

hey rory

I am not sure about the problem you are referring to. The one thing I have noticed is that when the kite is wet it turns differently (a note here: I thin most kites that I have act weird when they are wet.) . It might be the material, a friend of mine said it feels like a material that Gaastra used for some of their models. I also noticed that the leading edge has to be pumped hard. I have never had problems relaunching it though...

I don't use the pigtails from the SS bar as I have my own setup..line etc. When there is light winds for my 12 I generally prefer to have the 5th a little tighter, but as the wind increases I loosen it up a bit so you can see a little slack on the 5th line (in my opinion this stabilizes the kite in gusts). I have not tried the Boa, so I really could not tell you what is the better setup.
I have used the kite in fairly good sized (for me) surf, and it performs very nicely, even if it is a high-aspect kite.

For your line problem, I am not sure if I understand you correctly, so if you could please provide some more details?

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:12 pm 
Medium Poster

Thanks for your reply ,been offered a few solutions by the manufacturer and waiting on a stopper ball from ss until i am able to try these .Apart from that haven;t had much wind for 3 or 4 days now but hopefully will have by the weekend so i can look into the issues at hand.
Will let you know what is happening and as soon as i am able to test it out once again and will try be more graphic as well , thanks again
regards rory

Post subject: Viper Materials same as other brands
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:36 am 
Rare Poster

tautologies wrote:

The one thing I have noticed is that when the kite is wet it turns differently (a note here: I thin most kites that I have act weird when they are wet.) . It might be the material, a friend of mine said it feels like a material that Gaastra used for some of their models. I also noticed that the leading edge has to be pumped hard. I have never had problems relaunching it though...

Alex

Hey Rory (and Alex)

Interesting but here are the specs copied from viper's website.
"Materials:
Polyester Rip Stop Canopy 53grm/sqm.
Dacron Leading Edge, Trailing Edge and Wing Tips 160grm/sqm
Industry standard materials, no compromise at all with Viper. "

It seems ALMOST ALL the good kites are made with these materials (Airush, Windwing, North, Best, Slingshot, Globe Rider etc etc) and there ar only 2 manufacturers anyway apparently (not including Cuben ;) )and this is the Taiwan version as opposed to the Japanese. Gaastras problem was the material layout (cut) with millions of small panels from what I gathered, not so much the materials they used but could be wrong.

Anyways I TOTALLY checked them out before buying at KiteHIGH (was much more confident buying with them old timers supporting the product, A1 service and backup every time, eg: I tore my 12m on some rocks 5 weeks after buying, replaced within days, no questions asked, OUTSIDE my warranty period, stoked!!)

Bar and lines, before you go out, make sure all 4 lines are correct length (ALL lines stretch over time from my experience!), as you stretch them out off a nail or something strong. Then just make sure the 5th line is slightly loose in the air or do what Alex said re 5th line tensions for different conditions. I have flown almost every brand and not once have bar and lines been perfect from factory, gotta check them your self always, like a pilot checks his new plane before taking off! The kites fly awesome on just 4 lines too.

Let me know if you need more bar help Rory...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:04 pm 
Medium Poster

Cheers for that.
As I said earlier Iwon'tn't have much time till the end of the month to get stuck into the setup so when I get around to it(sooner than later I hope)will heed your advice and readjust the bar and line setup and repost to let you know how things are shaping up.Thanks again .
Regards Rory

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next