Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
UNSAFE
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Glowing Crossbow Review

Postby UNSAFE » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:32 pm

Thought you guys might enjoy this review by a Cabrinha rider from SA.

Found on Ikiteboarding.com

the reality of the crossbow
Started by greg thijsse at 07-21-2005 6:09 AM. Topic has 0 replies.

Forum Index » Kiteboarding Di... » the reality of the crossbow

Search

Today, 6:09 AM
greg thijsse

Joined on 04-18-2005
Posts 12 the reality of the crossbow

Hey Guys

Its this time of the year again. All the dealers trying to promote their new toys and why it is so fantastic.

I don’t want to start a fight as all those types of posts end up, and nothing is accomplished but arguments.

So this post is just a write up from myself on the raw stats of the crossbow.

I had the opportunity to put the crossbow to the real test when I was recently in the Dominican republic to compete in the pkra leg 3

After the competition finished Cabrinha sent over some crossbows for the international team. Myself, Damien Le Roy and Susi Mai were flying them in many conditions.

So here it is:

The first 2 days I flew them were in the waiting period of the competition. Those 2 days were too light to compete, but if everyone had crossbows you would be able to compete.

It was un real most of the riders were going downwind on 16’s and I was staying upwind on a 12m crossbow no jokes!

From the time the crossbow was pumped up it had crowds around it! People looking and asking to fly it. So we pumped them up and let the top riders rip it up!

Everyone came off the water with a look on their face and just saying jeez that kite insane! What a wind range!

It has unreal windrange, so the only kites on the water for those 2 light wind days were the two 12m crossbows with most of the tour riders waiting for their go.

When the compo was over myself and Damien went to a lagoon to do just plain freestyle and put it to the real freestyle test.

Sure the kite is real different to the kites most of us kite on but it is easy to get use to and once you have it you going to be so stoked.

By the end of our session Damien was doing from kiteloop handlepasses to straight up sick handle passes. The kite is fast and turns almost on itself so kiteloops are a breeze you can even control how much power you want to have in your kiteloop. I.e. if you hold the bar on one side the kite loops with hardly any power and if you want the bigger juicier kitelooops you just shift your hands wider apart.

As for learning new freestyle moves you can take your kite out and decide how much power you want for the move adjust the bar settings and just throw it !

There is also no need to worry about dropping your kite anymore because you wont be able to keep the kite in the water for more than 30seconds if you try. I was trying to crash it and it would just bounce off the water and fly again.

If you manage to get it face down all it takes is a turn of the bar to your desired side and boom it is up. instant

So say good bye to 7 kites cause these kites have so much range it is truelly unbelievable!

Just to give you an idea. Damein held the crossbow 12m directly downwind of me and I launched it in a solid 20 knots and all I did was sheet out and I litrelly moved about 3 feet and the kite went straight up through the power zone!!!

You are going to be getting away with less kites and you can get your favourite kite and use it most of the time.

This brings me to my next point! For beginners it is even better. What was the one thing we all could have done without when learning….getting dragged

All you need to do is let go the bar and whoooom no power no dragging. Cabrinha have really taken the safetly to the next level so if you beginning think no futher!

This brings me to my last test….waves….what can I say.

I was absolutely blown away! This is in my opinion by far the best waveriding kite to hit market!

When is the best time to wave ride in general…a big realing point and howling cross offshore???? I would say

Well if you guys are big in wave riding then you will know the feeling of skipping down the face of a monster out of controle cause you cant hold your 5m on 20m lines down…right

Well feel free to take your 7m crossbow standard and use the juice to get out of trouble weather it be running a monster or jumping a few sets!

And when you on the wave its up to you use the juice for power waveriding or sheet out and litrelly surf the wave!

I can now do a cutback a proper cut back cause on my old kites the power and upwind ability restricted me from throwing a proper cutback. But I know sheet out my crossbow and litrelly drag the kite upwind with me to hit the section!!!!

I am so excited for those big downwinds with big swell…..

There is also one more aspect I think the crossbow could tap into the future with.

Speed and coarse racing! Its flat its streamline and you can take a 14 in 35knots for sure

I am no speed freak but I know coarse racing and this is going to tap boundries!

So take your kite poward jump over the moon or sheet it out and throw a kiteloop or just go rip up those lines reeling in on a howling offshore reef!

I believe the crossbow is going to break boundries in all aspects

I hope you guys are as excited as I am! If you guys are keen to try them out hed down to a local Cabrinha shop and ask to get a demo!

Enjoy be safe

greg

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:36 pm

so if the crossbow is so badass why isn't anyone raving abou the nova?

jrobson
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jrobson » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:45 pm

consumer wrote:so if the crossbow is so badass why isn't anyone raving abou the nova?
Thats a review from a team rider. Should answer your question.

UNSAFE
Frequent Poster

Postby UNSAFE » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:57 pm

I stated it was a team rider.

As for the Nova, it's a different kite from a different designer, just a similar concept.

That's like asking why nobody is raving about a Takoon Wook even though everyone loves a CO2. Similar concept but the difference is in the details.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:10 pm

The Nova and the Crossbow are from the same designer? Crossbow is further developed. That is what I heard.

When I read the dozens of reviews of both kites, the only difference I spot is the Nova's low-end performance does not meet the one from the crossbow. Same for jumping height.

But then again, that is just the opinion from non-teamriders out there on the many international kitefora.

UNSAFE
Frequent Poster

Postby UNSAFE » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:51 am

The Nova and Crossbow had different designers. Bruno designed the original Nova, that was shown last year. The current Nova being released to market was designed by Takoons designer, forgot his name.

Cabrinha Liscensed the kite from Bruno but designed it themselves. The two kites have as much in common as a CO2 and a Torch.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:32 pm

"Cabrinha Liscensed the kite from Bruno but designed it themselves"

yeh , in as much as they hit the 'make 10m kite' button.....

UNSAFE
Frequent Poster

Postby UNSAFE » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:20 pm

Sq,
What, as opposed to your groundbreaking surfplan designs?

The point was that Takoon and cabrinha Designed and developed their kites independently, both started with the basic concept from bruno, as has every brand that has ever made an inflatable kite. At least they have the respect to pay to liscense the product (inflatable kite) that took him almost 15 years (started working on it in 1984) to develop and bring to market, only to have ripped off by non-liscensed brands.
Last edited by UNSAFE on Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:40 pm

you got that on the QT that peter uses surfplan....?

mate you're just guessing.

UNSAFE
Frequent Poster

Postby UNSAFE » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:23 pm

My point was, how can you make this comment:
sq225917 Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:32 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cabrinha Liscensed the kite from Bruno but designed it themselves"

yeh , in as much as they hit the 'make 10m kite' button.....
When they have a new, revoloutionary design, as different from the Nova as a Yarga is form a Fuel, and all your kites still follow the basic shape and profile as a 2000 AR5. There is nothing wrong with using an older concept, but don't try and marginalize the efforts of others who are taking a chance in developing something new, investing in a new concept to make the sport safer, more exciting and reducing your quiver size. This type of marginalization of others pushing new ideas and concepts makes you look especially bad when you consider that your employers waited for others to pioneer a sport and it's supporting industry's devepopment, including Bruno L, who spent a good chunk of his life developing the product you sell, and that created this sports exsistance for the masses. After the ground work was laid they ripped off his patented design that others were paying for, in recognition of the work he put into making this sport possible.

This type of marginalization of others efforts and achivements is typical of an underachieving bottom feeder.

Return to “Reviews”