nova info

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
frederics
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

nova info

Postby frederics » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:04 am

new test of the nova kite on ikiteboarding.com.
Make your choice :thumb:

"The Nova is a hybrid - a mix between a foil and a inflatable kite. The benefits are increased safety features, relaunch abilities and a wider wind range in which the kite can be used in.

Although the Takoon Nova and Cabrinha Crossbow looks strikingly similar from a distance, these kites have different flying characteristics.

Features
The Nova comes in a expandable backpack-type bag that easily houses the kite. The 4 line bar is durable and the flying lines as well as the pigtails are slightly thicker than the industry standard kite lines that we are used to.

The kite is well padded and the kite looks and feels durable. The Nova has a single inflation system, and all the valves are one way valves which enable you to pump the kite up really hard.

Turning Speed
Just like the Crossbow, we found the 12 to be a bit slow to our liking. The 9 turns plenty fast and tight. There is a slight delay on the kite when you turn (just like the Cabrinha Crossbows have). Compared to the Cabrinha Crossbows we felt that the Novas turned a notch slower.

Overall Characteristics
The Nova has a typical Takoon feeling with a very light bar pressure and huge range. Two things that stood out on the Nova apart from safety and relaunch features was the high jumps and fast board speed that is possible on this kite.

I really felt that where the Crossbow lacked a bit of punch in upwards lift the Takoon delivered. Lift was comparable to that of the classic leading edge kites, but with added hangtime.

I reached some pretty high board speeds with the Nova. The kite has a definite advantage over the older leading edge inflatable kites when it comes to air speed. It would be interesting to see what the guys will be doing on the bow kites in future speed competitions.

Safety and Relaunch
After spending more than 6 weeks on the kite, I can say that safety and relaunch abilities are second to none. Killing the power involves disengaging the bar stopper by pushing the bar away from you. In stronger wind all you need to do is to let go of the bar from a distance. Letting go of the bar from smaller distances will allow you to unspin the bar.

To Relaunch the kite involves pulling one of the side lines. This will lift the wingtip out of the water into a relaunch position. If you pull one of the side lines really hard the kite will lift in the power zone and lift instantly. Pull lighter and the kite will move to the side of the window where it will launch with minimal power.

So far, I have been able to relauch every time - sometimes in less than 7 seconds.

The nice thing about this safety system is that there's no swimming involved. Just pull the side line and the kite will launch. No need to swim to the side. As an added safety measure you also have the option to pull on the front lines if the kite is leading edge down. This will flip the kite over like a 5 line relaunch system will.

Conclusion
We flew the 12 and 9 Novas head to head against the 9 and 12 Crossbows. In terms of size the Novas looked bigger and had better bottom end.

Like with the Cabrinha Crossbows, we preferred the 9 Nova to the slower 12. The 9 Nova has an incredible range. I found that I could easily cover the range of a 8 and a 12 with the 9 Nova. To get the best out of the kite you have to tune the kite by choosing different power settings for different conditions.

The Nova stands out as a jumping and wave-riding kite, and performs well in all other areas. The only area where the Nova dissapointed was turning speed in the bigger sizes.

The safety and relaunch features coupled with the wave riding and jumping performance of the kite makes it a great all round kite. The 9 has such a good range that you could easily get away with a 1 kite quiver that will cover both strong and lighter winds.

It's not the fastest kite on the block but the safety features, range and jumping performance makes up for it.

Thanks to Bruce and Rob Chrystal from Ocean2Air for providing the demo kites"
Attachments
02A.jpg
02A.jpg (82.52 KiB) Viewed 4387 times

fly62
Medium Poster

Postby fly62 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:14 am

first trial in 20-25knts

fast turning, high depower, very great savety systems, the jumping potential felt enormous.

nova9 is a great kite!
Attachments
PICT1591.JPG
PICT1591.JPG (137.92 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
Last edited by fly62 on Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

k1t3m4n14k
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby k1t3m4n14k » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:25 am

I've been testing NOVA 9m yesterday, personally I thinks it's the best 1 kite solutions at this moment, for my weight around 70kg I'm sure I can ride the kite from 12-14 knots to 35-40 knots, I felt in love with this kite: stable, good speed turning, good jumping performance and a very good feeling on the bar. In light wind condition you can work the kite for hours and don't get tired.

I'm not sure about bow kites until yesterday. Before test NOVA 9m I rode NOVA 12m and XBow 12m and 9m, and I like it but not enough to change my traditional kites. NOVA 12 it's too slow, perfect for intermediate user but not for me, and XBox are too hard on the bar and it's very tired work the kite in light wind conditions.

I'm an habitual reader of this forum but this is my first post. I didn't post any message before because there are allot of users that said what I thought about bow kites that there are in the market (NOVA and XBow). But now, I think I have to post my experience with NOVA 9m to let know to everybody that there are a bow kite that really works!

My advice is... Test it, test it, test it!!

P.D: Now that I'm make the first step (post my first message ) I try to post frequently ;-)

fly62
Medium Poster

Postby fly62 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:49 am

A second trial in light condition 12-15knts with nova9, 65kg, with a smal board 130*34
in the back, it is a aeros1 12 or 14.

I don't know the high range at this moment, i'm waiting for hard condition may be in few days on my spot, so i confirm that we can ride easily in 12-15knts, the kite turn fast and have a good power too for this size in so ligh condition!!! You may be surprised --->try it
Attachments
DSCN1282.JPG
DSCN1282.JPG (169.15 KiB) Viewed 4268 times

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Re: nova info

Postby Wawando » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:50 am

frederics wrote:... I reached some pretty high board speeds with the Nova. The kite has a definite advantage over the older leading edge inflatable kites when it comes to air speed. It would be interesting to see what the guys will be doing on the bow kites in future speed competitions....
The speed champ (Tabou) has been using Wipika 16m with cut-out tips that looks like Bow kites.
His adapted kite also has a batten in the LE between the two attachement point of the 5th like. It is very interesting. Anothe interesting thing is, they added a span-line to keep the batten curve fixed.
Very interesting design!

We might confirm these findings soon :D

See you!

k1t3m4n14k
Rare Poster

Postby k1t3m4n14k » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:43 am

Yesterday I can test NOVA 9m in hard conditions, wind starts ant 18 knots and blows up until 35 -40 knots. While everybody was changing the size of their kites I was riding without any problem. If in my first post I was impressed with this kite in low end conditions now I'm stocked about top end conditions... I use the same kite in 12 -14 knots and 35-40 knots... ufff!! No pressure on the bar.... even in really gusty conditions you can ride the kite with one hand without any problem, great jump performance and really good turn.

We test the security too, in 35 knots I leave the bar and everything stops!!!

Everybody on the beach was impressed with the kite, even a Crossbow rider that can believe the low pressure on the bar.

For me it's perfect, I just have to buy 1 kite this season :D Now I'm sure that with NOVA 9m I cover the wind range of 12m, 9m and 7m

The same advice of my first post... If you don't believe test it, test it, test it!

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:20 am

k1t3m4n14k wrote:Yesterday I can test NOVA 9m in hard conditions, wind starts ant 18 knots and blows up until 35 -40 knots. While everybody was changing the size of their kites I was riding without any problem. If in my first post I was impressed with this kite in low end conditions now I'm stocked about top end conditions... I use the same kite in 12 -14 knots and 35-40 knots... ufff!! No pressure on the bar.... even in really gusty conditions you can ride the kite with one hand without any problem, great jump performance and really good turn.

We test the security too, in 35 knots I leave the bar and everything stops!!!

Everybody on the beach was impressed with the kite, even a Crossbow rider that can believe the low pressure on the bar.

For me it's perfect, I just have to buy 1 kite this season :D Now I'm sure that with NOVA 9m I cover the wind range of 12m, 9m and 7m

The same advice of my first post... If you don't believe test it, test it, test it!
Hi,

I Had my first flight with a Nova 9m yesterday. Do you have the velcro stopper as it came?
How do you untwist the bar in 30 knots without it popping?
Did you use it in waves?
I passed the bar to the back of the power cable and the velcro popped much less than when at the front.

Thanks!

k1t3m4n14k
Rare Poster

Postby k1t3m4n14k » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:53 pm

Hi,

I Had my first flight with a Nova 9m yesterday. Do you have the velcro stopper as it came?
How do you untwist the bar in 30 knots without it popping?
Did you use it in waves?
I passed the bar to the back of the power cable and the velcro popped much less than when at the front.

Thanks!
I test it with the Velcro and with a homemade fix stopper that can I fix or unfix while I'm riding. In both case I can untwist the bar without any problem. If I had the stopper fixed I can let the bar and untwist like a normal kite. If I don't have the stopper fixed then I untwist keeping one hand on the bar, is not difficult and everybody can do it.
In waves are awesome you can depower the kite absolutely and surf the wave.
I think that for an expert rider it's better to use a stopper that you can fix on demand, but now, after some sessions with NOVA I ride allot of time without fix it.

For me NOVA 9m it's a revolution only one kite i my boardbag for the next trip :D

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:39 am

k1t3m4n14k wrote:a homemade fix stopper that can I fix or unfix while I'm riding
Dude, please can you post some pictures of this or explain more detail.

Thanks

Andi

k1t3m4n14k
Rare Poster

Postby k1t3m4n14k » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:26 pm

Dude, please can you post some pictures of this or explain more detail.
You can see it in this post:

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2320406

Return to “Reviews”