Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sonic

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories


simplelife
Medium Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:25 am

Sonic

Postby simplelife » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:44 pm

Perhaps the Sonic flies a bit faster than the xbow and nova. I wonder if the beginner market will go for the kite. The xbow seems to be all the rage with beginners and experienced riders alike.

User avatar
lesbian horse
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:30 pm

Postby lesbian horse » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:57 pm

I don't know,

but what I do know is that this section is for posting reviews.

simplelife
Medium Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:25 am

Postby simplelife » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:18 pm

I was soliciting a review of the Sonic's user-friendliness for the novice rider.

GK
Frequent Poster
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:53 pm
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Ft. Pierce inlet
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Florida - Squall City

Postby GK » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:29 pm

simplelife wrote:I was soliciting a review of the Sonic's user-friendliness for the novice rider.


The Sonic is the most user friendly kite for beginners. It depowers with the
drop of the bar and it relaunches by itself with no yank. Very very friendly.
Right now there are not many in circulation, so you may have to wait a few
weeks to get a review from someone not affiliated with Globerider.
Check out the movie at http://www.globekites.com/gksonic

GK

User avatar
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1810
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Cape Cod, MA USA

Postby ed257 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:13 pm

What sizes of traditional C-shaped kites does the Sonic 11 replace?

What sizes of C-kites does the Sonic 14 replace?

I have a very narrow beach at high tide. Often I am the only one there and the wind is side-shore. So, I have to swim out into the water to launch a C-kite. Can you launch the Sonic dead down wind by giving the kite minimal power as you bring it up? I know you can with a Crossbow - I've seen it done.

Ed

GK
Frequent Poster
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:53 pm
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Ft. Pierce inlet
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Florida - Squall City

Postby GK » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:31 pm

I've only tested teh 11m so I can't answer for the 14.
The 11 will definitely replace my 9m and 12m Curls. If
I owned a 7 it would probably replace that too. I don't
think it pulls as much as the 15 though. 15mph was about
my bottom limit (having 'fun') on a 125cm board. I weigh 75 kg.

I haven't tried launching down wind with the LE up, only reverse
launch LE down, which I wouldn't recommend on land in strong wind.
I'll try it today and let you know.

GK

GK
Frequent Poster
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:53 pm
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Ft. Pierce inlet
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Florida - Squall City

Postby GK » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:41 pm

Ed, Tried it yesterday and it worked flewlessly. Laid the kite down on its back
with the LE downwind, sanded a few spots on the trailing edge and launched
her like a foil. The wind was only blowing about 10mph, but I could sheet out
and feather it right up with out too much pull. It might be a little sketchy in
20+ but I'm sure its do-able. I also tried it with a little angle to the side and it
worked great.

GK

GregW
Frequent Poster
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:00 am

Postby GregW » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:57 pm

GK wrote:Ed, Tried it yesterday and it worked flewlessly. Laid the kite down on its back
with the LE downwind, sanded a few spots on the trailing edge and launched
her like a foil. The wind was only blowing about 10mph, but I could sheet out
and feather it right up with out too much pull. It might be a little sketchy in
20+ but I'm sure its do-able. I also tried it with a little angle to the side and it
worked great.

GK


As a foil flyer I would recommend that if you do a dead downwind launch then consider turning the kite and flying low to the side of the window rather than straight up.

It's way safer because the kite never gets high and there is no risk of lofting. You can also run a bit downwind to get the kite to the edge quicker.

The Crossbow guys talk about attaching a weight to the chicken loop (a board or a sand bag or something) then positioning the kite on its tip at the side of the window. Sort of a self-assisted launch.

Regards

Greg

GK
Frequent Poster
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:53 pm
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Ft. Pierce inlet
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Florida - Squall City

Postby GK » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:55 pm

GregW wrote:
As a foil flyer I would recommend that if you do a dead downwind launch then consider turning the kite and flying low to the side of the window rather than straight up.

It's way safer because the kite never gets high and there is no risk of lofting. You can also run a bit downwind to get the kite to the edge quicker.

The Crossbow guys talk about attaching a weight to the chicken loop (a board or a sand bag or something) then positioning the kite on its tip at the side of the window. Sort of a self-assisted launch.

Regards

Greg


Excellent advice Greg. I forgot to mention that.

I also used the method you describe but instead of a sandbag I just used
a stick in the ground to hang my loop on. You could use anything... just
attach a leash to something heavy and clip your C-loop to it. Set up the
kite in the launch possition and it just sits there with very little pull, even
in very strong wind. Walk to the bar and launch it. You can land it the
same way. Very safe and easy. No risk of a self launch with crossed lines.

I think Ed's situation is different though, and his beach runs parallel with
the wind direction, so a 90 degree launch angle puts him in the water. In
this situation, you could hook the loop to something on shore, and walk
the kite out into the water and set it up in the launch position. This way
you are launching with the kite over the water, much safer. Just a thought.

GK


Return to “Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest