Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Spencer
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot Turbo Diesel Rules!

Postby Spencer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:54 am

I got to try the 10m Turbo Diesel today at the Hood River Sand Spit. I should start by saying that I'm not a normal kiter by any means. I've been kiting since the days of the 2-line Wipika Classic, and used to kite almost every day and was way into powered kite loops two summers ago, but now I spend more time chasing my kids around at soccer, and don't kite so often. I also ride nothing but a skimboard from 10 knots up to 40 knots. I think that some expert level kiters will still prefer a "high performance" kite like the Octane, but for me, the Turbo was the most amazing kite I've ever ridden. I couldn't believe how much fun it was! For sure the Turbo is the ultimate kite for beginner and intermediates, and will also rule the surf for more advanced kiters. The 10m has AT LEAST as much range as the 9m, 11m & 13m Fuels. My friend was on a 15m 2006 Fuel with a twin tip, and when the wind was light I was planing much earlier and going way higher upwind on the 10m and skim. When the wind picked up and my friend rigged down to the 11m Fuel, I was still no where close to being overpowered on the 10m Turbo. Others were rigging down to 9m. It's hard to imagine what the upper limit will be for this kite. It was one of those cloudy gusty days, and definitely not a problem with the Turbo. I didn't pump it up too hard, and it was fully stable. In big gusts, I tried sheeting in and out violently while sending the kite through the power zone, and there was no indication of folding or distorting as has been reported with some other bow style kites. I also had a blast attempting some crazy off the wind speed runs. Obviously a strapless finless skim isn't the ideal speed machine, but it was amazingly controlable at super high speed since the kite has so much depower. Well, I don't know what else to write that won't sound like total hype, but I'm now a full convert to Turbo Diesels. It's really hard to review a kite like this without sounding like I'm exagerating. My only complaint is that I was riding the Tubo at the spit today instead of riding it at Pistol! Can't wait to take this thing out at the coast!

Spencer

mlcrisis
Medium Poster

Postby mlcrisis » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:37 am

Any word on when they will be available to buy in Hood River?

Spencer
Medium Poster

Postby Spencer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:58 pm

I don't know the official date, but I think the only thing holding them up is slow shipping. You might try sending e-mail to Storm Warning in Hood River to see when they're expecting them. I was one of the lucky ones to get a few kites from an early shipment. If you see me out at the Hood River Sand Bar, you can take a few runs on one of my Turbos -- I've got a 6m and a 10m.

Spencer

Return to “Reviews”