Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GKSonic vs. Rapture2

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby ed257 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:22 pm

The hell with the grammer for now, how do the kites performance compare?

Ed

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:48 pm

I don't know about the Sonic (have not seen a single one in Peru yet) but have had a 6hr session with the Rap2 9m last saturday and as a result purchased one. :lol:
These kites are very confortable to ride in difficult and unforgiving conditions.
Still preferr the large C kites for light and steady winds, but when it rough, the Rap2 9m is the right tool.

Gus
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Gus » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:07 am

Any others Reviews on the SONIC 14m?

Any major difference between the 11m and the 14m? Anybody tried them both?

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:58 am

Gus wrote:Any others Reviews on the SONIC 14m?

Any major difference between the 11m and the 14m? Anybody tried them both?
I have both and used them 4 times each.
The 14m also has a big windrange.
It turns much slower (too slow) but it should be OK with a bigger bar.
I didn't try it in the light wind but couldn't make it fly in 8 knots. It was oversheeting and when I shortened the center line I couldn't make it turn anymore (back line too loose).

My guess is that for me (100kg+) I would need 15 knots to enjoy the kite.

Also the stopper ball doesn't work properly.

BUT when you are powered it is very nice and handles gusts as advertised.

Frank.

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:23 am

gonewiththewind wrote:
windshreder wrote:Your english is good and is understood. Your grammer and spelling is the only thing that you might improve.
Is this a serious statement? There are at least four problems with those two sentences.

But back to kiteboarding...
What didnt you understand about what I wrote?

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:33 am

Nunob wrote:well I had both last sunday i did put one right in front of the other to see the differences.
I don't know much about projected area In away I'm still a newbie though i do kite for almost 2 years but when i put them together they seemed too be different in size to make an honest comparison.

One thing I can say is the LE of repature2 is flat for shore and the sonic a bit rounded

The cc-bar of the rapture2 although more confuse in the biginning I think is great and very easy to adjust when you get used to it. (no pressure)

The sonic is very simple but i felt more difficult to adjust due to the use of both hands to grap the rope under the bar.

(thats it for now anyway pardon my English is not my first language and I might use rong terms to explain my self.)
I corrected your grammer and here is what I came up with.
Well I had both kites last Sunday and I put one right in front of the other to see the differences.

I don't know much about projected area. I'm still a newbie even though I have kited for almost 2 years. When I put them together they seem to be too different in size to make an honest comparison.

One thing I can say is that the LE of Rapture2 is flat for sure and the Sonic is a bit rounded.

I think the cc-bar of the Rapture2 is more confusing in the beginning but is great and very easy to adjust when you get used to it. (no pressure)

The sonic is very simple but I felt it was more difficult to adjust due using both hands to grasp the rope under the bar.

That’s it for now anyway, pardon my English is not my first language. I might use wrong terms to explain myself.

Gus
Rare Poster

Postby Gus » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:29 am

Hey Windshreder could you let go the Grammar lessons and get back to kite.
If you want to give grammar courses do it by clicking on PM (private message) and leave this thread to more Kiting subject.
Thx.

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:30 pm

Spent some time on the 14 sonic down in Mex, etc. Great range, nice kite and very stable when left on it's own to actually surf a wave and only sheet in when need power. Would like a bit better turning (maybe just bar length?) to actually do a bit of kite throwing when the wind is very light for wave riding. Ok when wind a bit stronger...Talking the real light stuff here. Got to looping the kite later in the session in lighter winds with wave and got some pretty good results. Much better for light wind stall avoidance than the 11 as would be anticipated. In super light stuff, the back lines loose and lack of steering made a longer bar idea sound nice. In normal winds from 10knts average on up the stock bar worked ok. I am used to long bars on my venoms though, so...a bit biased this way. Think this kite will be lots of fun as I grow used to it. Great kite for down the line when powered wave sailing. Did no strap and straped directional. Simple bar is nice. Wave sailing in light winds is a different animal to wave sailing in heavy winds. You need to throw the kite around a bit in wavesailing in light winds.. A bit of a cluster with bows and light wind/waves it would seem with the overall advertising on all bow kites. If you have a great point break with consistent 15mph average winds (your wind and weight may vary consult your dealer for options and stoke packages), you will be great on a bow. Talking winds with huge drop outs to around six or eight mph that is. Seen this with all bows around here and elsewhere. The exception being the tiny, tiny bows of course and in smokin winds.. If the bottom end is consistent, all is good. In strong winds..YAHOOOOOO!!! Hooked up a 64 cm bar to try on the ones coming in the next few days... :0)... Just cant help but tinker... This kite and my new 5'11" styro twin fin might be a real fun combo for light stuff.

Gus
Rare Poster

Postby Gus » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:17 am

Thx Monkey air 8)
That's what i call detailed info.

Coooooooool :thumb:

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:58 pm

Mice info., but to return to the topic, any news on how it compares to the WW Rap2?
I have not flown the Sonic yet, but am impressed about the 9m Rap2 I have recently purchased.

Return to “Reviews”