Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
gomarpyle
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Turbo Diesel Thoughts on Safety, Build, and Design

Postby gomarpyle » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:17 am

I had some concerns about the safety of the turbo diesel stopper ball design after looking at a picture, as it seems like it could potentially lock power into the otherwise safe kite design.

Today I had the opportunity to fly a turbo diesel in light winds on the beach and have learned a few things about how the kite flies... but mostly how the bar and safety system work

The stopper ball moves instantly and easily with your hand…Set it where you want it, and it will stay put.... This Could be a negative factor in instant depower…. Except that the lock and load system works really well to depower the kite EVEN when the bar is in the locked position and fully powered…(unlike the Cabrinha locking system)

The way I see it, the kite can be setup with Crossbow like “let go and depowerâ€

Nygs
Rare Poster

Postby Nygs » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:22 am

I love STD's! :thumb:

gomarpyle
Medium Poster

Postby gomarpyle » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:29 am

Took a look at a production STD... Looks the same in all ways...

Will get to try riding soon

diablo943
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches?! We don't need no stinking beaches.
Style: backcountry
Gear: Best Kites, Ozone kites, Venture board, Black Diamond Skis
Brand Affiliation: Drift Snowkite Magazine is the first product from our company Stratus Media Solutions LLC

Safety... Hyped hard.

Postby diablo943 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:31 am

When I read the following line in every description of the STD, I start seeing marketing machine...

"The NEW 2006 Turbo Diesel is the safest kite in the market making it an obvious choice for any school, beginner or intermediate freerider."

How can anyone make the "safest kite in the market" claim on an untested kite with a new design? Don't get me wrong. I know Slingshot has a great reputation for making great kites, but... hey! I have done my time in the marketing trenches and I can tell it when I smell it.

This hype just catches me wrong.

The fact that the STD has a wide wind range seems contradictary to being safe. Most accident reports I have read involve to much kite for the conditions.

Anyone out there have real world experience to back up the "safest kite" claims?

Diablo

Return to “Reviews”