All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: WindWing rocks!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:54 am 
Rare Poster

OK - I know - "The flat-kite revolution is here, the future is now".... yadda yadda.... Soon as I can afford one, I'll be ridin' one!

MEANWHILE...

I am LOVIN' my new WindWing Outrage 14 and CC bar! Got it a couple of months ago, but finally got to ride it several times toward the end of the drysuit weather (last sesh was a week ago - snow on the ground.) What a great set-up! I'm always pleased when the stuff you read about a product on a website turns out to be true and not just hype. When I first read about the double-pulley sheeting system, I was like "Huh??" But the "Cruise Control Bar" certainly lives up to it's name. I love to ride one-handed when I can, but I've never been able to sheet in/out with one hand! The CC bar makes that SO easy! And being able to set the bar in the middle and no-hand!! Way cool! Plus, the extended range is just killer! Being able to push that bar out an extra 6 or 8 inches when I hit the hot spots makes a huge difference - super de-power and still flyable. As impressed as I was at how well it worked with the Outrage, what really blew my mind was when the wind just got too hot for the 14 Outrage and I had to go to my 12m (other make) which is much older and has been fairly disappointing on water, but the CC Bar turned that clunker into a whole different kite!! I had been itchin' to replace that kite, but now there's no rush - I can take my time and monitor the "Revolution", as it were... maybe there's a Rapture2 in my future.

As for the Outrage - great kite! Really well constructed, turns fast, plenty of lift, but the best feature is the Jump-Start relaunch bridle. It comes separate, but is a cinch to put on, though I did have to tune and trim the steering lines the first time I rigged. But now that I've gotten to try it a few times it's never coming off. I wish I could put THAT on all my other kites! What a piece of cake to relaunch right off the water by just pulling on one of the steering lines and just flip it over! And with the CC Bar the leaders are sheathed with nice clear tubing, so it's easy to grab. No fifth line to worry about, either, and the operation was really smooth - like if the kite comes up and you think it's ready to fly forward, but there's still water on the downed wingtip so it starts to flop back towards the water, you just pull it back again and you can just hang it there, vertical, as the water drains off and away you go! The transition between reverse lift and normal is very fluid.

Hey, if I gotta ride C's for now, I might as well be on a state-of-the-art C kite. The '05 Outrage with the CC Bar is all of that in my opinion. And I have to say good things about the company, too - WindExpress.com. I had some questions about the optional bridles that came with the Outrage and "Boardin' Bob" was really helpful and knowledgeable, not to mention generous with his time.

Great gear, great company, great price... what more could you want?

Can I get a witness?

Looking forward to ice and snow........... Slice

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:38 am 
Medium Poster

Glad to hear you got your bridle hooked up and working without a hitch. You will love this kite on the snow. The stopper ball valves make it easy to inflate in the cold and the Jumpstart works even better on the snow than on water?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Fans,

Spent 5 hours on the WindWing Rapture 2 12 and 8 hours on Rapture 2 16.5 in Egypt.

75kgs, intermediate, riding for 3 years, Ocean Rodeo Mako 34x150cm.

The 16.5 goes in light wind down to 10knts. I can have fun in this, mostly getting wet, doing some jumps and stuff. I was out into the 18knots and was till able to be out, but the 12 was a better choice. The 12 goes from 12 knots and have not found topend. Was out in 22knots but was still in the sweet spot for this kite.

Kites are rock solid in the air. Depower and powering on the fly is smooth, instant and controlled. No jellyfishing and pumping of canopy. They turn easy, but you need to keep pressure on the kite lines, and not follow kite so closely to get power in turns. Jumping is easy, sheetout as you direct up and sheet home on pop. Lots of lift and glide, dropping speed is controlled by sheeting in-out. Kite loops must be easy because i almost did them without trying.

Relaunched them from backedge and LE down. Just pulled on on rear line and kite rolls up along LE heading to edge of window, lifing off easily, even in light winds.

Great kites, They are well built and work great. Reasonably priced kites at the leading edge of design.
(previous kites: Naish Aero 2 12-18. Current: OR Bronco 8, WindWing Rage 2 10-12-17, Rapture 1 15. Tested: JL, Slingshot Machine-Fuel, Naish X3-V4, Cabrinha older mods.)

TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:55 am 
Frequent Poster

Tom,
Which attachment points are you using? I can't get the kites (16.5 & 12) to relaunch except by pulling both backlines and backing it up off the water (I don't like this method as it can be a kitemare if a slack front line catches on anything).

Have you ever had the kite come down onto the leading edge (LE on water, canopy up, pointing into the wind - like you put it on the beach)? How do you relaunch from this position?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:28 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

kitesuffer wrote:
Tom,
Which attachment points are you using? I can't get the kites (16.5 & 12) to relaunch except by pulling both backlines and backing it up off the water (I don't like this method as it can be a kitemare if a slack front line catches on anything).

Have you ever had the kite come down onto the leading edge (LE on water, canopy up, pointing into the wind - like you put it on the beach)? How do you relaunch from this position?

KS, I have used all the combos but only for a short time. I thought the front piggies forward and rear piggies on the middle worked fine. On the 12 was on Front piggies front and rear piggies front (hi wind setting). Had 16, 5 on trailing edge and launched it by sheeting bar in and out, pumping, and it lifted off. The 12 was LE down, kite downwind and canopy top downwind, several times and and i just pulled on one rear line. The kite "rolled" along LE to stand up one one side of kite, moving to wind edge at same time, then rapidly lifted off near wind edge. Seemed like kite did not want to stay in water. Must point out i was in waist deep water every time kite fell. In deep water i rarely drop the kite by concentrating on flying while crashing.

I think i understand your question, but how do i get kite LE down and top of kite into wind? The LE is usually downwind and the top of kite pointing down wind, not up wind like on beach.

TW

[ 5 posts ]