All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:52 am 
Rare Poster

it never inverted on me and i've never heard of it inverting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I had a blast today in rediculously light winds (not able to stay up wind much of the time) There were small waves to ride and the fish surfboard is the tool for appaent wind speed. The marked difference in this outing on the 14 V today in conditions that were impossible except on a venom 19 m (light kites just sit in the air), was the much longer bar used. It is a completely different kite with a longer bar. An old gastra 68 cm bar made this kite come alive. I use the same length bar on all my PL kites for the boost in turning ablitity for wave use. If you are in light winds, much of the time, this is something you need to try. Great kite!! Looping the heck out of it in 8-12 mph winds today...I weigh 195 pounds. Not the stability of an arc but it sure is impresive for an lei!! The turning speed went up a HUGE amount. Now I am really crazy to try it in heavier winds and the longer bar on the 11 as well for the lighter wind wave applications.
Have Fun.
Traig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 am 
Medium Poster

Dose anybody have any specs on how to set the 14m bar up like they have for the 11m bar set up also for the 8m gk sonic thanks tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:33 pm 
Medium Poster

Driller wrote:
Dose anybody have any specs on how to set the 14m bar up like they have for the 11m bar set up also for the 8m gk sonic thanks tim

Hi Driller.

With any kite trimming is important. Front lines stetch more than the back, heavy guys trim different to light guys and so on.
The main difference with the Sonic is that because the bar is light it seems to feel alright even when it's trimmed poorly. Other kites tend to have more resistance when you oversheet. I think this might be because of the KPO system and it's a good thing.
To trim the kite effectively for you you can start by flying it above you in lighter wind and if it backs down when fully sheeted you neeed to pull some more line through the cleat. However this is a bit approximate if the wind is very light. The best method is after starting with the kite mildly oversheeted, pull some more line through the cleat, say 2cm and kite for 5 mins, pull another 2cm and kite another 5 mins and so on until you can feel you've gone too far. then back off a little until the kite feels at its best for the wind you are in.

This method gives you a feel for how the kite feels when oversheeted, undersheeted and just right. Once you can feel where the kite performs best you won't need to ask this question and you'll know how to maximise the potential of your Sonic of any size. Be aware that front lines stretch more compared to backlines when new and you'll need to compensate for this, and stronger wind will generally need a few cm more trim than lighter wind. And keep the kite moving at a good speed unless it's strong wind. The Sonics love apparent wind.

Have fun, Dave (Dr Surf Australia)

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2