Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Best Waroo 9m

Postby ed257 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:58 pm

kitenb wrote: Negatives:
Chicken loop length: One of the negatives is that if you want full power, you have to pull the bar all the way in. When doing so, my elbows are half bent and very awkward to ride. I would probably add a longer chicken loop so that I could have my arms more extended at full power. I am going to try this kite with a normal 4 line bar or pulley bar and see what happens. It should work fine, maybe even better
I understand it was very light winds, but isn't there a way to lengthen the front lines and/or shorten the back lines so that you don't have to sheet in so much and ride in an uncomfortable position?

Ed

kitenb
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitenb » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:30 pm

Yes, you could easily make a few adjustments to some pigtails to set the kite so that it is still at full power before you pull the bar all the way in. I did adjust the flying lines as much as I could with the way it comes setup, and it was just about enough. If I had some extra pigtails, I would have added them on the front line attachment points to get more power...but I didn't.. I think with normal winds for a 9m, the kite will be fine the way it is... it was just super light that day.

stacey
Medium Poster

Postby stacey » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:27 pm

The backline attachment points on the bridle you have are too long ... this will be fixed with the regular production ... those few kites we were able to send out were pulled early from the line, before we had the bridle measurement fully dialed.

Here's how I set my bar/kite up:

BAR:
- Take off the pigtails on the lines (if they came with them).
- At the bar, attach the back lines to the knot on the leader line closest to the bar.
- If the center lines were larksheaded around both spectra line and ring, undo this and attach them regularly. Not such a big deal ... I'm just being anal. You may need to adjust/retie the knot so that both center lines are equal.

BACKLINE (TRAILING EDGE) BRIDLE
Start tying knots at the end of the attachment line: I tied my first knot at the base of the sleeve and then tied 6 knots total on each line, in maybe 5 cm increments. Just make sure the knots on the left bridle match the knots on the right bridle. Since you took the pigtails off the lines, you can just larkshead the lines over the knots now.

I was flying in 25 knots of wind, which was pretty powered for me, and the knot that worked best was the first knot. But if you need to shorten the backlines for more power, move it to the second knot, etc.

The kite should be tuned like any other kite ... when fully powered, with the chicken loop all the way in, you should have a little flare on the wingtips. If the backlines are too slack, you won't have enough power.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:04 am

been flying the waroos that were signed off for production on the snow for that past few days in utah.

does what is says on the tin, fast, turns tight, depower is huge, and on the 9m which i've used most the low end is off the scale. but thats on snow,and i have nothing to compare it too.

relaunch is as i've come to expect from the other bows i've ridden.

been riding it without a bar stopper, and was suprised how much time you have to spin the bar, i figure it's safer this way anyway, but i was worried the stopper would be an ass pain. so i kinda like that.

decent kite.

i'll tell you more when i've ridden it in more wind, like 30mph+

The Right Stuff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: kites and boards

Postby The Right Stuff » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:18 am

Decent?

It's "decent"? That's it?

Somebody steal your password?

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sq225917 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:08 am

yeh it's a decent kite, i'm hyper critical of stuff that doesn't cut it.

but the waroo is a decent kite, it delivers on what we said of it.

if it had an 30k wind range and 25k sweet spot with zero bar pressure across the range, turned before i thought about it, then i'd be waxing lyrical.

it does what we said it does, so i'm happy, it's decent.....

lesbian horse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lesbian horse » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:09 pm

sq225917 wrote:yeh it's a decent kite, i'm hyper critical of stuff that doesn't cut it.

but the waroo is a decent kite, it delivers on what we said of it.

if it had an 30k wind range and 25k sweet spot with zero bar pressure across the range, turned before i thought about it, then i'd be waxing lyrical.

it does what we said it does, so i'm happy, it's decent.....
well you were hypo over the hellfish and that was shit.

so if you think the waroo is just decent what must it really be.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sq225917 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:22 am

the hellfish was a fucking superb kite, while it stayed in one piece.

as far as i'm concerned it had only one fault.....unfortunately they dont come much bigger.

XtremeBigAir.com
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pismo Beach, California
Favorite Beaches: Pismo Beach, California
Style: All
Gear: All

Postby XtremeBigAir.com » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:37 pm

I used Hellfish kites for 3 months and Hellfish are simply the best performance kites I have ever flown. My fiancee is still in love with her 11M Hellfish.

Anyway, I think I might have found her and new replacement, here is my latest review of the new 9M WAROO:
http://xtremebigair.com/waroo/

Fer
Medium Poster

Postby Fer » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:32 am

I had the opportunity to test the Waroo 9 yesterday in about 15-16 knots.

First of all, I,m not sponsored, riding only Naish for the past 6 years, not a Bestfan and more like a C-shaped kind of guy. I did tried a Crossbow 9 but didn't like it that much.

My experience are similar as previous reviews. I must say that I was very surpriced by the flyingfeeling of the kite en the very impressing lowend. I didn't got the opportunity to test in the highendrange but I will.
Only thing what I was missing, was a functional adjustable stopper.

All I have to say is, this kite really rocks and offers lots of fun. Just give it a shot and find out yourself.

I still ride Raven2 16 and 12, but will add a 9 Waroo to my qiuver.

Return to “Reviews”