All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:34 am 
Rare Poster

I preordered my Waroo 20 already, butr what was the problem with the Hellfish? I keep hearing vague crap, but no details. The kite just dropped off the face of the earth. I did hear some stuff about bad stitching on the leading edge that lead to leading edge blow outs, but that was because a chinesse worker screwed the process. I also heard that the final production kite had one minor change to it from the last protoype, though most people seemed to like the final prototype better.

What's the real story? Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:14 pm 
Frequent Poster

Got out on the 9m Waroo two more times. Once last Saturday and once yesterday. On Saturday we has some super gusty winds at around 20-upper 30s, with some gusts in the 40s. I actually got a bit sea sick because it kept going up, down, up, down... The 9m fealt way too much in the upper ends of these winds. I could hold it down, but I was way uncomfortable.

Got out yesterday and it was also super gusty, but more like 15-30, and it was perfect for me. I was ridding an RRD XXXX 136x40 and had a blast. One thing is for sure, the kite goes big. I had some really high, lofty jumps on it. I also flew my RRD HIR 10m and had some really high jumps on it, but came down a lot quicker on it, compared to the Bow kites. I still prefer a normal C shape kite for steady winds, but may consider getting a Bow kite for gusty days like this. As during my first demo of it in lighter winds, the kite still has super light bar pressure and turns really fast. Overall, I liked it a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

kitenb, thanks for the review!

how did you find the superlight bar pressure? Was it too light in terms that you were not able to say exactly where the kite was ie. did the light bar pressure decrease the performance of the kite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:08 pm 
Frequent Poster

Carbon,
It has light bar pressure compared to a lot of the other bow kites out there, but it wasn't any lighter than some of the C shape kites I have flown in the 9m size. You still have a good feel for where the kite is when you are out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:11 am 
Medium Poster

What does the Waqroo look like closeup? Best site only shows one pixelated birds-eye pic of the kite. no bridal details. I want to find out if i can adapt my Sonic bar to a Waroo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:52 am 
Rare Poster

Here are some pics of the bridal attachments on the kite.

Got one good day on this kite in 10-20mph. Great jumps, good bar pressure very solid feel and it can be tuned to really turn fast. This kite is at home streaking across the window. Initial negative for me is the bridal can catch on the trailing edge if you drop the kite and the lines go slack.

Want to get another couple sessions under my belt to do a full comparison to the Rapture2 9m now that I've worked out the tuning. When I do, I'll post a full review under the Rap2/Waroo thread.

I noticed I didn't get the knots down from the pulley that rides along the trailing edge attachment points. Hope these pics help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:18 pm 
Medium Poster

Nice detailed shots, looks well made. looks very similar to the Sonic bridal so i assume it would accept a Sonic bar with minimum modification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:19 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

assume nothing.

the back bridle has a v-line unlike the sonic. and the images are from one of the last pre-production kites, which don't have the correct rear line set up.

we ditched the pigtails on the production kites, and added extra kevlar along the wingtips and placed webbing over the strut ends so the lines slide round the back of the struts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:38 pm 
Medium Poster

Rodan'sWings wrote:
Nice detailed shots, looks well made. looks very similar to the Sonic bridal so i assume it would accept a Sonic bar with minimum modification.

I'm sure you can use the bar, but almost equally sure that the trimming would be different.
You can probably add some pigtail extensions on the line attachments of the kite that enable you to use the same bar on both kites without changing the trimming on the bar each time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:20 pm 
Frequent Poster

All kites should be trimmed to be used with bars equiped with lines of the same length when sheeted in .

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next