Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
windyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to turn a wakeboard into a kiteboard

Postby windyboy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:50 pm

Tired of those huge price tags on the kiteboards $700,$800 for a new board well I don't so I saved my money on building one from a wakeboard the wakeboards are very cheap go into any sports store they well sell you a wake board for about $250 then you got to buy some stuff like kite board straps $20, then some fins $25, then a grab handle $11. so the total would be about $306 thats 2 or even 3 times cheaper then some kiteboards.1buy your self a wakeboard then you buy some fins 4 or 6 in my case.2Drill holes for the fins istall them.3Then you take the wake binding off and put kiteboard straps on the board.4Then you buy a grab handle and put it on the wakeboard you can do that because theres extra holes where you can screw it in. After your done with that you got your self a kite board. It work just as well as a kiteboard going up wind going down wind and great for jumping my wake board weighs 4.5 pounds thats right 4.5 pounds it is so easy to jump with it it is scary you don't feel the board on your feet it feels like your gliding on the water with your feet then jumping like there is nothing on your feet. If your tight on money this is a great way out.

Paco
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Paco » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:07 pm

I don´t want to sound rude!!! I really don´t!!!!

I have to accept that board price is in some cases ridiculous!!!

Ok, so here it goes:

WakeBoards don´t feel and work as well as KiteBoards I tell you this first hand as I used to ride my WakeBoard right when I started and had no money to buy a KiteBoard!!! There is a considerable difference in performance so keep this in mind!!!

But you can use it!!!! I mean they work!!!

surfinsmiley
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 82kg
Local Beach: Taranaki
Style: Surf & Big Kite boosting!
Gear: Turbine. WOW. Rally.

Postby surfinsmiley » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:48 am

Paco- can you tell me what the major difference is between the two styles of boards?

I`ve often thought about using a wakeboard but never actually done it. A few guys at my bech ride them set up just the same as you`d use wakeboarding and they seem to be the ones doing the most ripping.

GODman
Rare Poster

Postby GODman » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:57 am

The diffrens that i can see is that a wakeboard compered to a wakestyleboard has more rocker.

GODman
Rare Poster

Postby GODman » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:03 am

But look at this ones no so big diffrens:

Wakestyleboard http://www.liquidforcekites.com/boards_element.htm
Wakeboard http://www.liquidforce.com/boards_search.htm

windyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windyboy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:29 pm

Paco- can you tell me what the major difference is between the two styles of boards?

I`ve often thought about using a wakeboard but never actually done it. A few guys at my bech ride them set up just the same as you`d use wakeboarding and they seem to be the ones doing the most ripping.

Answer is the wakeboards I personally think are better then some kiteboards because there more aggressive and have more pop. Also there lighter then the kiteboards but the only bad thing is that you need power to ride a wakeboard for kiting it's not good for very light wind. I use this board with my 24 meter F-one mach2 kite also with my 12 meter mach 2 and it works great because if there is 13-15 knots of wind I take my 24 with the power it has I have no problem going upwind, down wind, the turns on the board is very fast and smooth much faster then some kiteboards. I put some kiteboard fins and straps and I made a kite board that works just as well. My think there the wakeboards are better then the the kiteboards I rode. Also it is much easier to do jumps with it because of it's light weight. :thumb: :thumb:

surfinsmiley
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 82kg
Local Beach: Taranaki
Style: Surf & Big Kite boosting!
Gear: Turbine. WOW. Rally.

Postby surfinsmiley » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:29 am

I think I`ll be having a look around the secondhand shops for an old wakeboard that looks suitable for kiting :thumb:

evilgun
Medium Poster

Postby evilgun » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:02 pm

an observation i made recently is that old school wakeboards resemble modern day kiteboards quite a bit! and the wakeboards that would be marketed towards beginners ( less rocker, wider, more locked down feel) would make good, not great, kiteboards. i found a cheap obrian wakeboard at dunhams sports, around $150 , super easy to ride good edge, drill some hole put 4 more fins on, you might have somthing to get you going

peace

windyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windyboy » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:37 am

Some pics of my board. :thumb: :thumb:
Attachments
Picture 008.jpg
Picture 008.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 3065 times

windyboy