Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

9m waroo review from a sonic rider (long)

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
gumball
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gumball » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:29 am

The Right Stuff wrote:Does that mean you are no longer riding anything else?

I seem to recall you earlier postings saying you were 50/50, then 70% with the remainder on the YPro, then... maybe this is a new declaration. I think it really makes a strong statement knowing what you ride given the fact that you can ride whatever the heck you want.

Waroo forever?
100% Waroo on snow, I would never again put up a "C" kite on snow.

Flat water: 50% Waroo / 30% Yarga Pro / 20% Nemi Pro

Lit Up Kite Loop Sessions: 70% Nemi Pro / 30% Waroo

Chop: 80% Waroo / 20% Yarga Pro

Wave Riding: 100% Waroo

for going out and going big in the waves: 50% Waroo / 50% Nemi Pro (I still love the POP the nemi pro gives you... It's the most underrated kite out there this year BTW...

lesbian horse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lesbian horse » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:39 pm

:(
bad day on the sonic.

today I spent all day sitting on the beach, after I found the LE seam split exposing about 2 inches of bladder, making it buldge on my sonic. Perfect 20knots breeze, flat water. On both sides of the kite the same thing, terrible.

Unless you have a very good local dealer dont even think about getting the sonic it has attrocious build quality. I've got 2 popped strut bladders, 2 holes in the leading edge due to bridles rubbing (leaving exposed bladder), a snapped chickenloop, a snapped camcleat ring, camcleat slipping, completely worn off bar grip, front lines snapped off the chickenloop line. The distributor here is terrible and hasn't helped at all, I'm stuck with a kite that is ready to be binned (one season out of it and it will be buggered), being a student who put all his savings into a kite, it hurts alot when you cant kite because your NEW!! kite that you dropped a bomb on (a bomb to me) has broken.

Anyone know when someone in last place on the waiting list would get a waroo? I can't go on with this thing, take a loss on it and learn from my experiences I guess (eg don't buy crap stuff).

Kaito
Frequent Poster
Style: Surf, freeride & freeslide
Gear: Kites: Powered
Boards: Surf & homegrown
strapless kite surfboards

Postby Kaito » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:42 pm

LH,
I've been following the thread & appreciate your write-ups.
Thanks for telling us how it is..

Guess performance isn't worth much if it won't last.
Sounded like a sweeet ride while it lasted!

Best of luck to ya,
K.

kovacs
Medium Poster

Postby kovacs » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:08 pm

LH- Could you post picture of that? Isnt this rubing done by those knots on leading edge what is known issue for long?

lesbian horse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lesbian horse » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:36 pm

the bursting is a new issue. It happens on the panel join between the 2nd and 3rd struts from the end of the kite.

kovacs
Medium Poster

Postby kovacs » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:56 pm

anyway- could you please place a picture of this damage?

did it happen by itself or after a crash? What does say your local GK rep about that?

The Right Stuff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: kites and boards

Postby The Right Stuff » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:51 pm

Gumball:

Thanks for the numbers. That's a far more complete - and interesting - answer than I was hoping for. Quite helpful, too.

I'm almost exclusively riding on chop and snow, with the rare dreamy session on flat-ish water: seems like you made the Waroo for me.

Flyer51
Frequent Poster

Postby Flyer51 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:54 pm

lesbian horse wrote::(
bad day on the sonic.

today I spent all day sitting on the beach, after I found the LE seam split exposing about 2 inches of bladder, making it buldge on my sonic. Perfect 20knots breeze, flat water. On both sides of the kite the same thing, terrible.

Unless you have a very good local dealer dont even think about getting the sonic it has attrocious build quality. I've got 2 popped strut bladders, 2 holes in the leading edge due to bridles rubbing (leaving exposed bladder), a snapped chickenloop, a snapped camcleat ring, camcleat slipping, completely worn off bar grip, front lines snapped off the chickenloop line. The distributor here is terrible and hasn't helped at all, I'm stuck with a kite that is ready to be binned (one season out of it and it will be buggered), being a student who put all his savings into a kite, it hurts alot when you cant kite because your NEW!! kite that you dropped a bomb on (a bomb to me) has broken.

Anyone know when someone in last place on the waiting list would get a waroo? I can't go on with this thing, take a loss on it and learn from my experiences I guess (eg don't buy crap stuff).
Must say so far I think the build quality of my 2 Sonics seems to be excellent, certainly no worse than any other kite I have ever had. Judging by some of the posts I have previously read of yours all over the net, you have had this kite for quite a while, and it sounds like it was one of the earlier models if the bridle lines have rubbed through and the cleat snapped off the chicken loop. I would be very interested in knowing how many hours of riding you have had (an estimate would be OK), and what sort of conditions you have kited in. With the list of woes you mention, sounds like this kite has really been put through it's paces! Some of your threads have been most complimentary as regards the Sonic, and some have been very insulting. The feeling I get from having spent many, many hours browsing forums on the net as regards the Sonic, is that most users absolutely LOVE this kite! A bit hard to understand your love/hate relationship with the Sonic?

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:43 pm

the kite fell to bits, i believe from feedback from the hellfish that this sort is thing is generally a clincher... :wink:

Petro9
Frequent Poster

Postby Petro9 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:58 am

Well the Sonic has been around for ~ six months...you cannot compare the durability of the Sonic with Waroo as the latter has not even really reached the end user. Waroo in 6 months=Hellfish ? :?: may be, who knows I hope not.

Cheers...

Return to “Reviews”