All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sonic durability
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:34 am 
Medium Poster

I have seen a lot of good Sonic reviews but would like to know about durability of the kite and bar, especially the bar. Does it stay together after a quick release, looks like a lot of loose parts.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:36 pm 
Frequent Poster

I have the 14 and 11 Sonic kites, and so far they seem to be durable.
Pulling the quick release keeps everything together, all that happens is the black loop at the bottom end of the chicken loop (the part that hooks onto you harness) splits open. It's dead simple to reinstate afterwards.

Post subject: Re: Sonic durability
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:39 am 
Frequent Poster

aprok wrote:
I have seen a lot of good Sonic reviews but would like to know about durability of the kite and bar, especially the bar. Does it stay together after a quick release, looks like a lot of loose parts.

Since they are pretty new still, time will tell with the durability of them. But, so far, they seem to be very durable. In terms of the "lot of loose parts" on the bar thing, it actually is one of the most simple bars out there right now for bow kites. Lots less loose parts than the other ones...(Crossbow, Switchblade, Turbo Diesel, Shockwave...etc..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:47 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I have 45+ hours on my Sonic 11 (I keep records :roll: ).

Overall the kite is as good as new. The panel and strut finishing is some of the best I have seen. I am very happy with my Sonic.

The edges of some of the leading edge segment seams have frayed where they drag on the sand for self launching. It's not real bad and mostly cosmetic. It certainly would not wear out the kite. They could stop it happening in the first place by using folded seams on the LE segments.

On the early kites they provided stick-on anti-rub patches to protect the end LE attachment point from bridle rubbing. The patches themselves off pretty quickly and wear through the outer layer of the patch. I make my own now and will just replace them every 25-30 hours. The later kites have been changed to stop the rubbing wear.

The chicken loop line wears a bit at first then stabilises. It is 6mm amsteel so it will not break in a hurry.

The grip rubber on the bar gets worn around the chicken loop line hole where it bangs on the stopper ball above the adjuster cleat. It is cosmetic and not a problem.

Post subject: Re: Sonic durability
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

aprok wrote:

The quick release just releases one end of the chicken loop and it slides through your harness hook. There are no separate bits to lose.

Anyway, to fully depower the kite you just push the bar out. It would have to be the most dire emergency to want to pop the quick release and completely dump the kite. I cannot think of a normal riding situation where it would be necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:11 pm 
Frequent Poster

I;ve clocked up more sessions on my sonic this season than I've ever done before. I've been riding a couple of times a week since december. I pretty much use this as my only kite.
As OzB said, the amsteel trim line seems to wear a little to start with but then steadies out, the patches on the LE don't seem the most secure *though mine are still sticking pretty well) and I haven't got any issues with the construction at all.
The bar still looks like new. I don't ride unhooked though so it hasn't taken the abuse that others have.
The hose on my pump has sprung a leak but thats not really too much of an issue.

[ 6 posts ]