Local Beach: Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: My own beach
Style: freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad, 9m/11m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot Turbo 3 Review

Postby kiter147 » Sun May 17, 2009 3:01 am

yeah today i got my SS turbo 3 and i actually love it but one problem is that is that it really only turns while sheeted all the way in. the kite is very user friendly though exellent relaunch and it gave me the power i needed(but winds a little low) it had some bar pressure that would be a little hard to turn with one hand.i only used it on the 2:1.well the depower was exellent (well its ment for depower) :) and when the kite crashed into the water it seemed like very nice contruction on the kite and the kite WAS WAITING FOR ME TO RELAUNCH, which is what i love :P
also jumping is pretty good didnt get to really test that out too much. i also like the below the bar ajustments. :cool2:
so yeah its a great kite if you want to excell

kiter147
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiter147 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:14 pm

hey i have this turbo and I was going through the saftey systems and i found out that when you have your leash attached to it and you relese the chicken loop that the bar will go down the center line a lot , and if you pull this centre line the bar will go farther away from you. is this suppose to happen?
or is thaat one knot that is the closest to you on the centre line supposed to stop the bar from going farther away from you?

rclmagic
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rclmagic » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:37 pm

I found that to be a major issue with the T2 bar. If you released, the bar would practically go all the way to the kite, and there would be some kind of criss-cross or tangle one you got to the bar and reattach. The T3 bar is MUCH better in this regard.

kiter147
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiter147 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:49 pm

yeah just about that same thing happens with my bar for some reason...but isnt there a knot that will try to stop the bar? theres a knot there but if theres a lot of power the bar will go right through the knot
rclmagic wrote:I found that to be a major issue with the T2 bar. If you released, the bar would practically go all the way to the kite, and there would be some kind of criss-cross or tangle one you got to the bar and reattach. The T3 bar is MUCH better in this regard.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:16 pm

kiter147 wrote:hey i have this turbo and I was going through the saftey systems and i found out that when you have your leash attached to it and you relese the chicken loop that the bar will go down the center line a lot , and if you pull this centre line the bar will go farther away from you. is this suppose to happen?
or is thaat one knot that is the closest to you on the centre line supposed to stop the bar from going farther away from you?
As others have stated, you may have a T2 or the original Turbo Diesel. With the T3 (this thread) the bar doesn't go all the way up. Never did for me, anyway, and I could also recover from full safety deployment on the water w/o issues 99% of the time.

You can buy one of those yellow SS stopper balls for an older turbo. put it a wing length away from your bar and it'll stop the bar from sliding. Those balls suck, though, as they become a tangle point when launching from the beach. They'll sometimes wrap around an adjoining line.

kiter147
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiter147 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:45 am

no im pretty sure that i have a turbo 3, but i think that the knot that stops the bar from going all the way down has been compressed smaller or the hole that the knot is suppose to stop was made bigger. when i tried that system it would stop but if i pull the leash harder it will go passed the hole. but the is on land without the kite, so i dont think that the kite will pull that much when i activate this system

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:13 pm

kiter147 wrote:no im pretty sure that i have a turbo 3, but i think that the knot that stops the bar from going all the way down has been compressed smaller or the hole that the knot is suppose to stop was made bigger. when i tried that system it would stop but if i pull the leash harder it will go passed the hole. but the is on land without the kite, so i dont think that the kite will pull that much when i activate this system
Ahh, I just re-read your post. Looks like we all misunderstood your question.

Yes, the safety is working as designed. When the bar is new I found that the knot will not slip through the rubber stopper as easily as it does when it is under load on the water. It *is* supposed to slip past that knot (that knot attaches the leash extension to the front line). I would recommend you force it up the line a couple times manually and then it'll work fine for you.

So, ignore my comment about a stopper ball, you don't need that. The bar should eventually slide up the lines as far as it needs to (about 1/3 of the way to the kite).

Return to “Reviews”