Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
hapa13
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: kook
Gear: like to try everything

Re: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS Review

Postby hapa13 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:44 pm

Kosh wrote:And if a front line breaks? Or the bridle somehow is caught somewhere on the kite? what will happen when releasing the QR? Having the leash connected to one frontline on earlier models felt quite safe, except if the front line breaking was the one the leash was connected to....
I've preordered a 9m2, thinking about ordering a 13m2 too...depends how much money left after vacation :-?
Kosh -

A quick update on this issue. A member of the design team just had this happen to him the other day. He was riding a 7m test kite and one side of the front bridle failed. He was happy to report that the Absolute Depower function of the IDS system still worked flawlessly.

Thought that might put your mind at ease.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Kosh » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:51 pm

Yup, thanks :)
Now I just have to use as little money as possible for the next weeks to afford the 13m2 too...

mrtbreeze
Rare Poster
Gear: Crazyfly, Peter Lynn, Moses, F-One, Liquid Force, Alder
Brand Affiliation: Crazyfly, Peter Lynn, Moses, F-One, Liquid Force, Alder
Been thanked: 0

Postby mrtbreeze » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks Hapa, I am thinking of swapping my SB3 14m for a 13 Xbow, though it has amzing low end I get overpowered quite easily on the 14 and a 13 should sit better with my 10 & 8 SB3s which are great, especially for surf and gusty UK winds.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:17 am

mrtbreeze wrote:Thanks Hapa, I am thinking of swapping my SB3 14m for a 13 Xbow, though it has amzing low end I get overpowered quite easily on the 14 and a 13 should sit better with my 10 & 8 SB3s which are great, especially for surf and gusty UK winds.
I have a SB3 14m. I have used the 13m Xbow IDS as well. I felt the Xbow had better low end than the SB14. The SB14 is an excellent kite but your right about getting over powered on it. I found flying the kite lower and edging hard ,more C kite style helps when getting juiced up. I have not used the Xbow IDS in higher wind. It pulls very hard in low wind conditions I was wondering about the top end. One thing for sure is that the SB14 launches much easier than the IDS 13m in light wind. That was the only draw back I found with the Xbow.

:thumb:

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:54 am

Everyone is "complaining" about the relaunch of the 13m2, so I guess it is a fact, or is just people trying to relaunch it in way too little wind? And if it is a fact, why? Is it the new bridle?

hapa13
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: kook
Gear: like to try everything

Postby hapa13 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:07 am

The best advice I can offer regarding the relaunch of any Cabrinha bow kite in lighter winds is to keep your board on and pushed out in front of you. By keeping the board on and between you and the kite, it generates the maximum amount of tension and the kite will relaunch with less effort. The other trick is to try and get the kite to lauch "hot". This means getting the kite to flip and take off directly downwind of you. Once the kite is completely off the water, it will want to yank you as it rushes to the edge of the window. If you just let go of the bar as it's doing this, then there is virtually no pull. There is definitely skill and technique to getting the most from your kite in lighter winds. I've always believed that it takes more skill to ride in 12 to14 as opposed to 25 or 30.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:00 am

Hi Hapa and thanks for your reply. If the 10 XBow IDS will be good at unhooking riding I will consider it for my medium size kite because in moderate wind I'm onto new school style. Otherwise I will consider the new Switch IDS 10 as a right choice. Thanks again and a big ciao to you and the "marvelous" Neil Pryde Maui Crew!

kitemann
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitemann » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:20 pm

Hey Hapa13

Tks for all the info. I just wanted to get some advise on sizing. I am currently riding 7,9,12 xbow 3. I have had a look at the sizing on the new kites and see that they no longer make a 12 only 10 and 11. I have loved my 9m in the past and am a bit worried about going 7,10 as i may be missing out on those 12m days when the wind never really gets up. The other option is to go 7,9,11 but not sure if the 9,11 is too close ? any advise. I weigh 72kg. I prefer to ride smaller kites. How does the 9 compare to the 10 in jumping, riding waves etc.

One last question i have is i noticed on the Cab webpage that on th egraphic where they show where the kite performs best they show that the Xbow IDS favoured towards freeride and freestyle but not high in the wave section. How are the kites for waveriding ? Is this graphic just because they have a dedicated wave kite in the revolver ? The switchblade 3 had more bias towards wave than the xbow IDS. Just your thoughts on that.

Tkas again for all the info you have posted so far

:)

newhere
Rare Poster

Postby newhere » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi,

i would like to know if it would makes sense to still use my 9m Omega for high winds and replace
the 12m Omega against the 13m Crossbow 4 IDS ?
Does the 13m got the similar depower than the 12m Omega or should i choose the 11m?
I weight 65KG.

Best Regards

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:47 am

Newhere,
The 12m Omega is closer to the 11m IDS........ the 13m IDS is meant to be similar to the 14Contra. So if you are thinking of going for the 13m IDS, ask yourself, would you have ridden a 9m Xbow and 14m Contra... I know for me going with the 9m and 13m(14Contra) would be too big a gap. I think the 9m Xbow3 would be better complemented with 11m Xbow IDS.

Return to “Reviews”