All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Griffin pics and review -Check it out!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:27 pm 
Frequent Poster

And another by SBC

http://www.sbckiteboard.com/2009_kite_r ... uniqid=502

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:37 am 
Medium Poster

how much these things cost

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:17 pm 
Medium Poster

I live in San Diego, weigh about 180 bl (80 kg) and I'm a intermediate. I bought the 16 for San Diego and the 12 and 9 meter Griffin for traveling. So far I manage to use the 16 three times, twice on surf and once on flat water.

My initial reaction was that the 16 looked and felt big but once I got it up and flying it felt smooth, had lot of power, very stable (specially at the spot we ride for flat water, the wind can vary quite frequently) and turned fast enough, even though I would have liked it to turn a little faster but I got use to it fast enough. I was able to pull off some floaty jumps. When I got on the surf it felt just as good even though the wind had picked up to 17 mph, when a gust hit I would just push the bar out a little with no problem.

Even though I bought the 16 for San Diego, I think I could get away with the 14m for faster turning and with just enough power for San Diego winds, even though I have not tried the 14m yet so I'm just basing it on the power I get from the 16m.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:29 pm 
Frequent Poster

We have some new griffin reviews up on our site now.

Ik SURF mag seemed very impressed by kites performance with glowing reports of the float and low end and also great feed back when unhooked and kiteloops. They where less impressed by the bar , which while described as very functional did not have the feeling of high quality delivered by some of the other bars from 2009. However some other mags rated the bar very highly (probably because of the the fact that it is so functional and simple to use).

The Kiteboarder.com mag gave top marks for the buildquality , bar , turning, bag, safety system and power. they seemed to like the lighter bar pressure which still delivered great feedback.

SBC said - "The added low-end power was noticed by every tester, as was the improved canopy stability and direct steering performance. Bar pressure was moderate and provided good positional feedback. Good pulling speed and excellent lift open the door for big air and good hang time. This is an easy kite to jump and it will enlist confidence for beginner to intermediate levels to push it to new heights. The 12 metre also maintains adequate steering performance while unhooked and while sheeted out. Good unhooked pop for wakestyle, and more comfortable control bar with a clean look and better functioning chicken loop and safety features"

All in all , every magazine that has tested it so far , has been very impressed by just how well this kite is stacking up against more expensive rivals.

Check out the full reviews here

Griffin Kite Reviews 2009

Last edited by kitesurfwarehouse on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:41 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

dam those kites are cheap
are there any dealers for Griffin here on pr?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:48 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi kiter147,
Yes there are, check out www.soloviento.com for more info about the kite and other gear.

Where do you ride? If your interested in a 2009 9m Griffin demo ride feel free to let us know, we'll be glad to get your hands on one. We made a small order on the first batch a few weeks ago and all are sold, but we are expecting more shortly.

If you check out the thread you'll see some images of us riding the new kites at Punta las Marias, SJ.

The kites are really good Christian and the staff at Griffin have designed and delivered a great product, great things to come for Griffin.

Good winds!
Francisco
franciscojgo@soloviento.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:08 pm 
Medium Poster

I have made the modification that is posted on the Griffin site to make my 16M turn faster:
http://www.griffinkiteboarding.com

But I have not had a chance to try it. When I first got the kite I moved the connection on the steering line to the third knot (closes to the bar), will this make the kite turn even faster or should I just put it back on the middle knot, which I think was the default setup.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:51 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

prwinds wrote:
Hmmm fair enough schmoe.

Yes maybe the review seemed a bit super pimped out, I was really just super stoked with the kites. They were such an improvement from last years that I just had to post a review and let everyone get a feel for them.

That's good to hear for all of us that were unfortunate enough to buy the 2008 kites :(
Curious... would the LE bladder be another real 'big' improvement in the 2009 kites as well??
I ask cause my 2008 monkey griffin LE just blew while I was pumping it up at the beach today :(
I might have used that kite 20 times.

Am I hard on stuff??

Well maybe but I got a couple 2nd hand c-kites which I use year round and they're still going strong.

I guess I'm sticking with 2nd hand c-kites.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:40 pm 
Frequent Poster

Dude .. get in touch with your dealer of the guys at griffin. They have a great warranty and look after their customers well.

Darren

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:16 am 
Medium Poster

^^ Agreed.

Griffin has a bombproof warranty. Never had a problem with it once.

http://www.powerkitesdirect.com

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3