Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Ozone Sports 11m 09

Postby marekmk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:26 am

No more spam lines, no more 5th line that I was always convinced was needed to give the earlier kites their unique handling qualities, and no PULLEYS.

At last a few hours of wind.. Launched the 11m 09 sport for the first time in 10 knts! What a different kite this is to all its predecessors. This kite does not back stall with the cleat all the way out and the bar pulled all the way in. There was always more technique involved on the earlier Ozone models that required more kite flying skills in low wind.

This is the easiest kite in low wind that I have ever flown. In the past few months have flown the Crossbow IDS, Cabrinhas there best kite by far, but problems with the 2nd rope going through the bar and wearing out quickly, Cult and Trix. Its so frustrating for new kiters in low winds with most kites on the market today that require a low wind technique, to get the maximum power from them.

Went out with a 5,8 surf board for the first 30 min, fantastic, so easy with this kite, I weigh 170 lbs and managed to get back to where I started from.

The wind picked up to 17knts, changed over to a 128 twin tip.
This kite is super solid, smooth in the air and a completely different feeling through the bar. The on off that I though I liked so much with the earlier Ozones is a distant memory after only a few minutes of flying this kite.The power is progressive and predictable, however much you throw the kite around in the window.

In the limited conditions today this was the best kite I have ever flown. Have no idea what the top end is, and can,t wait to try it in super gusty conditions, it might have characteristics that are waiting to reveal themselves, good or bad.

Will have to wait for tougher conditions to make a complete assessment of the 09 11m Sports, at the moment very promising!

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ozone Sports 11m 09

Postby OzBungy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:38 am

I'm looking for a kite that hauls you off the water with serious brute force. My old Sonic and earlier C-kites did that. My Switchblades don't, even though they are fantastic and super reliable.

How did the Sport go in that regard? 17 knots should have been enough wind to tell.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:36 pm

Was on the kite for less than 20 min, at the 17 max end, at this wind the the kite needed just a little more wind for truly explosive jumps, certainly more dynamic and powerful that the 08, 11m sport.
Need more time than this to really understand the full range of this kite.
For a arse hauling kite try the Ozone edge.

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Hannay » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 am

OzBungy wrote:I'm looking for a kite that hauls you off the water with serious brute force. My old Sonic and earlier C-kites did that. My Switchblades don't, even though they are fantastic and super reliable.

How did the Sport go in that regard? 17 knots should have been enough wind to tell.
Hi there, I havent tried the 11m yet but was on the water with gusty 15 to 25 knots on the 9m Sport +, this kite has much more hang time and lift than last years, I was using the waves as ramps and getting massssive airs, really nice feeling fromthe bar, a little more tact than last years and more solid in the air. Great float too.

Hope this helps, I recommend this kite 100% but I just got news from a rider and friend saying that the Light XC is the way to go this year for the all rounder.... hmmm, if you want free style and grunt then the sport, wave and more relaxed riding then the Light and all out performance is the edge.

Have fun, Iain

cippoco
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Colico
Favorite Beaches: Cronulla
Style: mine
Gear: tribal
Been thanked: 0

Postby cippoco » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:16 am

Hi there, i'd like this kite, but i can't find any information about the real wind range.
I'm wheight 75kg, in mine home spot the wind average is about 13/15kn and i'm coming from a tribal 2 13mq that fit perfectly for mine wheigt/wind. What size can you suggest for mine conditions, 11 or 13m?
Thanks in advance

Cippo

Hannay
Frequent Poster

Postby Hannay » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:38 am

I would go for the 13m if you like to feel the power, it reall pulls wake style.

cippoco
Rare Poster

Postby cippoco » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:44 pm

Hannay wrote:I would go for the 13m if you like to feel the power, it reall pulls wake style.
I don't like to feel much power, i'd prefer to be "right" a. Whith the 11 one you think i could have some up-wind problems?

Hannay
Frequent Poster

Postby Hannay » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:52 pm

What size is you board? Do you ride in heavy chop or flat?

I am 85 kilos and with the Sport 11m it is not quite enough for me in those low ends, 12 knots.. but the water where I am is quite choppy, I ride Underground FLX 135 which is great for going up wind.

Have you thought about the EDGE? It in 11m is AMAZING, huge range and gets going super early, even for my fat gut.

Not wanting to confuse you though. The Sport is very different to the 08 models so if you have tried the 08s and want a 09 version you are not going to find it in the Sport +. But if you are after amazing pop, great wake style and freestyle with huge hangime and unhooked performance then go for the Sport. If you HAVE tried the Sports 08 I would think about the Light XC which is a great all round kite this year at a great price too.

Iain

cippoco
Rare Poster

Postby cippoco » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:37 pm

I ride a 133*40 custom made, is a good up-wind board, is seems 555 nobile. The spot is chopped.
Last year i've learned riding unhooked, so i would like try this kite, as you said should be huge for wake style/freestyle. The other model, i suppose doesn't fit my style.
I've ride a 9mq 08, on snow whit gusty wind around 15/25 kn, it feel a little truck kite whit intense power, but great depower and stability, good unhooked and very fast turn.
If is so different from 08, i really need to find a promoter in mine spot! :-?

Hannay
Frequent Poster

Postby Hannay » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:52 pm

Where is your spot?

The 09s are more focused on power than the 08s, they turn a little slower and have more bar pressure but they feel much nicer once you get into them, they dont have the instant depower, it is a much nicer and smoother progressive depower and still has masses of depower, you just have to move the bar up to the stopper.

My initial impressions were "this is not 08! I dont like it" but now I love it and really enjoy the kiting experience, I have more adrenaline running and the kite flies like a rocket with boosters. It pushes you.

Cant you get a trial? Where are you?

Return to “Reviews”