Eh Ov (Ovando) - Update

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
tradewind
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: EH OV (Ovando) - Update

Postby tradewind » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:36 pm

I just found this on Eric's FB page , OV 13 movie :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcXzdGBy ... r_embedded

Bobbybazoka
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lomma beach, SWE
Gear: EH - Ovando
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Bobbybazoka » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi!

I am in Spain for 2 weeks and brought my two brand new Ovando 11 and 7 m2.
I tested to fly my 11 and 7 today in low wind ( 3-4 m/s....): the 7 is reeely fast!!

But I have a problem. I can't re-lanch them from the water!? There was a kite-shool out beside me an they where flying a 12, Cabrina. They had no problem to re-lanch... I feel it is somthing with the shape of the leading edge that stops the kite to go up to 90 degrees if you know what i mean..

Has anyone had the same experience? Maybe something is wrong with the rigging? ( I have never had any problems to re-lanch before...)

tradewind
Medium Poster

Postby tradewind » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:10 pm

Bobby ,
I can relaunch my ovis easy from the water , pull both rear lines in light wind and reverse launch ,hope that helps

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:43 pm

I have not had any problems relaunching my 7M OV. By pulling on one rear line it relaunches as well as my Waroos. If the wind is too light to jump I use the reverse launch by pulling in both rear lines and then letting one go. I have easily reverse launched my 7M when there were no white caps at all.

Make sure your chicken loop line is not too long. This kite doesn't require a lot of length to depower and extra through may mess up the relaunch.

Maradentro
Medium Poster
Style: a little of everything
Gear: EH kiteboarding, Ripper - Ovando
Brand Affiliation: Love the Cabarete EH family ;-).

Postby Maradentro » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:12 am

Hey Bob,

I have the 13,11, 9,7 and now 5 OV, all easy to re-launch.

LE down, straight down wind, let go of the bar pull one rear line and there she goes...
In super light wind, I pull both rear lines and reverse launch.

hope this helps.

M

To "Tradewind" to embed a YouTube video in a post you need to use the youtube tags from the message body menu. Then they show like below
[youtube]ENTER YOUTUBE LINK HERE[/youtube]
results in

RM3001
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay
Style: freeride
Gear: omega 15m waroo 9m underground 148x46 prodigy 148

Postby RM3001 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:52 pm

I've seen that it has already been asked but no one has answered how the 13m compares to the EZE. Is the EZE model being dropped?

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:15 pm

...another session on my OV 11

I had my OV 11 out last week in some light winds (12-14 mph). I was riding my Skywalker 131x40 (rider weight 187 lbs/85 kg). Most of the kiters there were lighter than me and all were riding larger kites 12-15 meters. I was able to go faster, and point higher than all of them. Normally some of them are faster than me when I ride my other gear.

My friend Rob is normally at least as fast as me - often faster. I saw him heading out for what looked like a long tack. He had a big head start, but with the OV I was able to reel him in and pass him on the upwind side! I could never do this with any other kite that I have tried.

When the wind came up a bit more I was jumping huge and most of the other riders were barely getting out of the water.

I am planning to get the OV 8 to go with my 11. I was considering getting the 7, but I am concerned that wondering the 7 have too much of a gap with my 11. Anyone who has the 11 and 7 - please advise.

Ed
Attachments
IMG_0460.jpg

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi

I am very impressed with the low end of my 5 meter OV ... amazing that I can ride upwind with little less than 20 knots with my 73 kg .

The 9 meter arrived today , hope to get a chance to test it in the next few days.

Saludos

Franz

PS. Ed , depends which top end you want .

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:13 pm

Ed,

11/7 is a great combo with plenty of overlap. The 7m has great low end and is just so nice. For me the 7m comes out in16kts and the 11m goes to 20easily so no prob.

J

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:36 pm

Btw,

I just came back from two weeks in Hood River, OR with the 7m as my only kite wtih one board. It performed great in 15-35 knots...I'm 90kg, so in the 35knots I was very lit up. But it was doable. There were some pretty bad gusts, and the kite tends to jump a bit in the hard lulls followed by gusts, but it wasn't bad. The best range for me was about 17-28 knots.

One cool thing I started doing was to leave the struts inflated and the lines connected and just roll it up and throw it in the trunk of my car. When I was ready to kite, I just unrolled the lines, did a quick pump of the leading edge and took off in about one minute. :)

Wished I'd had the 5m a few days, but overall kite was a great one kite quiver for those winds.

j

Return to “Reviews”