Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: EH OV (Ovando) - Update

Postby ed257 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Hugo,

What else can you tell us? How is the low end on the 11 and 9? Does the 11 actually compare to a 13 meter kite on the low end - but turn like a 10 or 11?

Did you try relaunch in light winds?

Ed

biggins
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby biggins » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:23 pm

took the 7m out today in 16-22knots. Water was horrible with slop waves, chop, head high crap swell, just messy. What I noticed is the kite did fine, but definately likes speed more. i get now why a beginner wouldn't want this kite as it thrives on apparent wind to get it's low end. Still had fun though. :)

btw, if you are self landing by using the method on the website make sure you unhook the velcro from the back line you are using to hook the leash to before landing...it didn't want to let go today causing the kite to loop, hit the ground and make a bit of a messy landing, no biggie and not scary and it would have released had there been much pull, but something to remember if you're landing that way.

Also, had the kite fall after I got crushed by a wave, several waves hit it, it turned around on me and I still managed to quickly get it back in the air, so relaunch is quit good and quick in a bad situation, so that's good. The pigtail connections make it easy to pull in a substantial bit of back line to maneuver the kite for relaunch etc.

Overall, I'd say fun starts for me in the flats at around 15knots, in crap conditions about 17/18 knots, I'm 88kgs for what it's worth. Can't wait to try the 11m for the lighter winds...great kite overall and loving it, so damn FAST! Might try it with the skim tomorrow if the winds are light and see how that goes.

j

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:13 pm

biggins wrote:

Overall, I'd say fun starts for me in the flats at around 15knots, in crap conditions about 17/18 knots, I'm 88kgs for what it's worth. Can't wait to try the 11m for the lighter winds...great kite overall and loving it, so damn FAST! Might try it with the skim tomorrow if the winds are light and see how that goes.

j
Sound great to me ... my 7 m works fine above 22-23 knots and I´m 76 kgs riding a 134 x 42 board ( in crappy choppy conditions )

I would really love to hear about the top end of this kite ... but I guess during this time of the year is going to be hard ...

Can´t wait to get my hands on them

Saludos

Franz

nomorebikinis
Frequent Poster

Postby nomorebikinis » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:20 am

[quote="biggins"] i get now why a beginner wouldn't want this kite as it thrives on apparent wind to get it's low end. Still had fun though. :)

Biggins can you clearify a little bit more this part of your story. Would an 11 mtre compensate this effect let's say at 10-11 knots?

nicegrab
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Anything within 100 km radius of 54° / 110°
Favorite Beaches: Lat: 54.5591, Lon: -110.2433, Alt: 531m
Style: Freeride
Gear: Rise 7,10,14m | Mako Wide | Nobile T555
Brand Affiliation: http://www.kentmedia.ca/
http://www.reverbnation.com/autozenith/

Postby nicegrab » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:31 pm

If you're looking for really low end, wait for the 13m currently in development.

According to Eric's Facebook pages the prototype should be in Cabarete today for testing...

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:20 pm

Holly tomato :o I was going to order a 11 & 7 m but looking to the wind chart for my weight ( 76 kgs ) it looks like I rather go for a 9 & 5 m combo ... still the top end of these kites looks kinda funny ... a 5 m " only " up to 30 knots ? thats the average wind we get when our Levente is blowing .... what should I use a 2 meter Ovando ? :think:

The low end looks impressive , the high end looks terrible since it also means that with a 9m I may be overpowered under 25 knots ?

Saludos

Franz

Afro
Medium Poster

Postby Afro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:00 pm

please dont tell me you still take wind ranges seriously?

kite manufacturers cant face liability for telling people to kite in unsafe conditions, so they always play down the top end of thier kites

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:53 am

nomorebikinis,

Yeah, I just meant that if you want a grunty park and ride kite, this isn:t it. It develops it:s power from apparent wind more...I guess all kites do, but some are just park and ride and easier for beginner since they won:t be moving the kite around much etc. or bearing off downwind first to get some speed then going upwind after they:ve developed some apparent wind, they tend to just edge upwind immediately and kill the power of the kite. I hope that makes sense. but again, it:s not a difficult kite, if you are riding upwind easily and don:t put the kite in the water all the time unless trying a trick or something then you:d be fine I think.

I have no idea on the 11m, still waiting for that one to come in since I just ordered one. At your weight though I:d think that would be a lot of power for you and certainly would pull you around in those winds I:d imagine, but that:s just speculating based on the 7m performance so don:t know yet.

I:m off today to try the 7m with a skim in some lightish winds....my ultimate goal is to nail a backroll transition...I:m thinking the fast turning of the 7m might help...or I:ll just crash like I always do. lol

j

btw, I think the high end is being safe like most companies...don:t know yet, but the time I rode the 7m winds got up to 24knot gusts and I never even sheeted the bar out all the way, so there was still WAY more on the high end...I doubt I:d ever need a 5m at my weight, but it:d be fun. I rarely ever ride in more than 30-35knots around here though since it gets too gusty so...

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Well it:s official...I LOVE this kite!!!

Had 20knots average today and sunny with chop and 3-5 foot slop waves that had smooth water in between.

Me at 88kg on a 132cm board and the 7m with 27m lines...still haven:t gone down to 23m lines as I:m too lazy to take off the 4m extensions. lol.

Others, small riders around 60-70kgs and a small 50kg female...most on 9-10m kites two on 12m kites.

I couldn:t believe how I was jumping HIGH in those winds off the little kicker waves. Had the best day I:ve had in a LONG time with both the twin tip, then the skim, then back to the twin...kite had plenty of depower for the skimboard.(I was able to master my jump, catch the skim, and plop face first in the water) :wink: I was plenty powered in the 20knot average winds on both boards and super comfy, no big gusts, no big lulls, maybe 18-24, except for 20minutes it picked up to about 28knots for some reason and I felt the power of this little thing. I was riding set with the bar about two to three inches from the end of the depower strap at 28, and then pulled in to about two to three inches from max at 20 or so, so I am guessing a top end of 30-35knots, maybe 30 very comfortably without hitting the depower strap, and more, but not as much fun over 30 since some tricks just become too painful with that power...and maybe 16knots for the low end...jury is still out on that one, flat water would be lower, but the crap we can have here and my fat arse raises that a lot. :-?

Jumping, I was getting the highest jumps of anyone today on the little 7m, one guy on a 12m was getting as much hang as me, but not nearly the height, so it jumps VERY well even though it:s only a 7m in 20knots...again though, I was on 27m lines, so that helps too.

Overall, this is by far my favorite kite I:ve owned as of yet, super fast, great power per sq meter, and overall simplicity in the systems....sounds like I:m pimping doesn:t it. lol...I don:t sell kites, I buy them, so take that for what:s it worth...and I:m obviously excited about a great session.

I:d LOVE to hear others impressions on this thing...anyone else out there riding these yet?

j
Last edited by biggins on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:06 pm

Anyone have a link to prices on the Ovando? The 7M sounds like a really fun kite.

Return to “Reviews”