naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Ozone Zephyr 17m Light Wind Kite

Postby naishdude » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:06 pm

as usual looking good :thumb:
Although on the one picture you read 8 knots and not 6 knots as on the advertising, 8 knots seems to fit reality more than 6 knots.

Good luck with your kites Zeph's US dudes...and post reviews as soon as possible:
Weight of the rider
Board size and type
Wind
Upwind
Relaunch in very light winds in deep water!
etc.
Still waiting here.... :(
:bye:
Frank

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Windzup » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:01 pm

Yeah, I was happy to see that the bag tag was more legitimate and not just a light wind claim. Some light weight riders, in perfect conditions, with the perfect weight and board size, may get riding in less than 8 knots... but it is more realistic to advertise that it works for most people in 8 knots.

I know the Ozone boys are proud of their creations, but they've always been really humble as well... not leaning on the hype or BS band wagon. From the feelings I got from the Zephyr in flight, I would say this is a worthy design to take pride in, but being humble and truthful is always a better way.

Now that production kites are starting to hit the beaches, hopefully we can get true feelings from the wide range of riders in this world.

There is plans in the works to have a few Zephyrs in South Padre during November, so it should be a good venue on the lighter wind days for some reporting.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby markchatwin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:12 pm

Yeh I was hopeful about 6 knots but 8 knots is more reasonable. I'm so psyched to be getting the Zephyr next Friday because most likely it will be blowing 8 - 12 knots at least one of the two days of the coming weekend. So many days in Upstate NY are right around 8 - 12 knots. Actually most are 0 - 8 knots...

I have high hopes that this kite will really keep me on the water at around 5PM when the wind comes down and my 13m Rev justs flies but doesn't pull. There's also that 11AM - 1PM time when a "windy" day is starting to ramp up but the 13m doesn't cut it.

Yes reviews to come...

b0jangl3
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Barkers. South Sound
Gear: Freak Dog/EH
Brand Affiliation: Freak Dog/EH/Ozone/Aboards/Brunotti/Dakine

Postby b0jangl3 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:45 am

Hey Guys,
Ok .. so today was my second session out on the water .... its amazing how a couple of knts makes it or breaks it for you. I really wanted to see what the low end of this kite was as last weekend I was out having a blast on 5-8knts ... it was able to stay upwind and cruise ... but it was probably blowing more often in the 8knts then in the 5or 6knts... . I was out from approx 12-3 today .. and could go down wind but could not stay upwind .. it was blowing approx 5-6knts.

Weight of the rider: 198lbs
Board size and type: 6ft Carbon Fiber Surf board
Wind: 5-6knts
Upwind: No
Relaunch in very light winds in deep water! : Didnt have any issues in 8-10ft of water

I would have to agree with the others ... I think 8knts for someone my size is about right. I am very impressed by this kite. Tomorrow is suppose to be 12-14knts ... so I will be going out to see how it handles in a little more wind.

I will post again tomorrow night .

B

www.caribbeankiters.com
Attachments
Wind.jpg

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:13 am

Bojangle
Thx for the info....enjoy from it every minute as long as you can!!! here in Europe / Belgium/Holland temperatures are going down, the fall storms has set in, worst case scenario.....even before I got my Zeph in, I have a ruptured tendon in my shoulder....you know if sh..t hits the fan....

so it may take a while before I get under the kite again....so any info is welcome to get me through the next 6months...( not allowed to put any force on it after the operation)....

Have fun!
Frank (Belgium)

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:20 am

Holy Crap ! You need to fly this kite!

I love it! I hate big kites I havent owned a big kite in years Now I won't give up my Zephyr.

My friends all want to borrow it! I am the only one out rideing I come to the waters edge and several people show up to "take my kite out for a spin" or course its cuz their kites don't work!!!

If you by into any of the haters who have not flown thwe Zephyr but think they know about light wind kites then you are going to miss out! For the first time evfer I am looking foward to going to se my inlaws in San Diego, since now its really a kitable spot!

Kurt
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 08' 10m HP
09' 12m HP
'07 17m Waroo Pro
'10 17m Ozone Zephyr
135x42 Custom board

Postby Kurt » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:14 pm

Has anyone tried both the ozone 17m and waroo pro 17m and can compare?

Spectrum
Rare Poster

Postby Spectrum » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:16 pm

I had the chance to try the Zephyr in 9-10 knot cold wind with monster door, flat water, this was minimal condition for me, i am a lightwind and kiterace freak with 19 Silverarrow ect. but normally riding tubes

My thoughts : great tube kite, very easy, feels light, wont back stall, super stable, quick turning, i could easily do low jump kiteloop with monsterdoor ( never had so much fun in 10 knot ) :D

I could go maby 10 degrees upwind in that condition, i compaired many times to my 12m speed2
and the Zephyr has more grunt and was easier to get up and plane but it didnt accelerate in the apparent wind, similar to most tubes, the 12m speed2 was more difficult to handle in the low wind ( this 12m is the normal heavy fabric ) but when the apparent wind kicked in i was going faster and more upwind than Zephyr it just felt like the wind was stronger every time i changed kite, that said the zephyr is was much easier to use especially for a tube rider

There are to many varibles to conclude anything from this, but i had great fun with both i also looped the speed for the first time.. wuuush :wink:

:bye: Mike

TonyL
Medium Poster

Postby TonyL » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:19 pm

Spectrum-

You mention you have a Speed 19 SA. I am thinking about getting one. Question for you - would you choose the Zeph or the Speed 19 for low wind riding? I am looking for a low wind kite up to about 15 knots. I am 200lbs.

Thanks -

Tony

Spectrum
Rare Poster

Postby Spectrum » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:19 pm

@ Tony

I havent tried i kite that come close to the big speeds

But with the right lightwind board will get you a long way with smaller kites

When you barely can ride with Zephyr you will be blasting around with 19m speeds :wink:

But there are so many other factors to consider and if you dont like your kite
it doesnt matter how great lowend it has, it really depends what you want and like

You should decide what is best for you

All i can say is that Zephyr i a damn fine kite in all aspect, much better than i thought
i am sure you will love it :kiss:

The Speeds are for feinschmeckere who are willing to do anything for that extra lowend and it works....... 8)

Both kites are :thumb:

:bye: Mike

Return to “Reviews”