naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Ozone Zephyr 17m Light Wind Kite

Postby naishdude » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:05 am

airsail wrote:Has anyone had one to compare to the big Flysurfers, Speed 2 or 3 19mtr? These are the light wind kings at the moment or so it seems.

I'm looking at upgrading my old FS Psycho 17 and wondering which way to jump, can't get a Zephyr to test yet.

Interesting that Ozone is big into foils but chose to build a LEI as a light wind kite.
Tim
Airsail.....
I had untill 2 weeks ago a FS 15m Speed²...all in all I was able to fly it around 8/9knots with my 80 to 83kg, and a directional strapped surf 6'2 board.

My reason to order the Ozone ( besides of having ozones for my smaller sizes) is:

When you have lightwinds, the worst case scenario that can happen is when above us, they decide to close the "windtap" and your FS falls from the sky, I had it on several occasions and that is not the FS 's fault but mother nature who forces you to start swimming. :-?

And there is the difference, or you swim to a floating Island with only 4 lines or you swimm towards a fluffy heap of cloth with a zillion tiny bridels, if all goes well you just roll your lines on your bar and grab the FS kite with a tip and pull it swimming back to the shore, all together with holding your bar...and board, hopefully the kite did not take any water on that swimback to shore, because otherwise you will have a problem pulling it out of the water.

I once had this experience because of the zipper burst and the kite took water along the way, once trying to get it out of the water , forget it, I left it there till ebb tide came and then pushed all the water out.

The difference with tube kite is, you roll in your 4 lines you can put yoruself into your kite ( no danger in getting tangled into the tiny bridle like with FS) and you can even put your bord over the Lei. Or you hange the kite on your security leashline etc....
The tube kite gives a lot more secured feeling to swim back or wait for help etc...

The second bad experience with FS is when you do not have stable winds but pretty gusty wind, the FS will act as a wild bull and not being stable at all, they might just drop, getting twisted etc...there is the tube kite pretty stable again.

These are my own experiences of flying a FS speed² 15m for 2 years...

I am happy with OZONES decission of bringing a "simple" 4 line lightwind kite, no pulleys etc, and I think that is was as easy for them to make a foil because they have that experience too...but still decided to make a tube!

The latest news or gossip I captured was that Flysurfer is/was developping a foil with a tube supported LE...let's wait and see...

Still need to sleep a couple of nights...days...weeks..??? before I can get my hands on my new Zephyr :-? :-?
Frank / Belgium

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DrLightWind » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:42 am

airsail wrote:Has anyone had one to compare to the big Flysurfers, Speed 2 or 3 19mtr? These are the light wind kings at the moment or so it seems.

Interesting that Ozone is big into foils but chose to build a LEI as a light wind kite.
Tim
I wouldn't buy into this devoted light wind manufacturer's hype,
like Wind-X when they came out with their kites Ultra Flat kites to be a good low end challenger.
Look at what hapened, let's get real here :!:
All expert and kite designers knows anything after 14m size L.E.I. there is a diminish of no return.
When kites are so heavy the up-stroke is sluggish and they don't fly at the edge of the window,
so it's difficult to keep them in the air and to relaunch them under 10 miles.

I've flown both the SilverArrow and stock version Speed2 for 2 years
and so far nobody could come up with a kite which are better fliers in light wind than Flysurfers.
The lighter fabric used to be the SilverArrow which is now the Delux, flies stable in only 4 -5 miles
which is the way to go in light winds and don't be mistaken with the stock fabric which is slower.
I tried most large light wind inflatables and I found that the usable low end range is marginal
because only the hype keeps them flying in light winds and relaunching,
so I wouldn't spend any money on them unless I tried, because I discovered the myth in a hard way.

The Zeeko Notus-14m price is almost the same as flysurfer's so why even bother,
when the upwind performance with pulling power and range can't come even close to the new Speed3 :?:
This is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt and fly both type of kite
to decide wich type of kite is better for you in all range :!:

DrLW

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!

Ozone 2010 Website Goes Live

Postby Windzup » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:44 pm

The new 2010 Fly Ozone site is now live... with info on Zephyr.

http://www.flyozone.com/kitesurf/en/pro ... phyr/info/

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

eli_anderson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sunset Beach, OREGON
Favorite Beaches: Oregon Beaches
Style: surf, wake, snow and sand
Gear: ozone only

Postby eli_anderson » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Yes, good question, I did get to fly it very cleated. Wind this day started at 8mph, and a nice cycle of probably 20+ came through for about 30 mins or so. After the cycle passed, it backed off to 12mph or less.

there is some trippy stuff with the center struts as well, if you look at the pic of the kite chilling on the ground you can notice the center strut angles.

I pulled all the trim in and rode, finally trimming for bar pressure and hand position. I don't like my arms too extended, likewise don't want the bar pulled in all the time. Once I had the Zephyr trimmed, I could lower the kite and speed up like crazy. It really opened up the speed on the downwind reach, I just kept good pressure on the bar and let up on my heal side edge.

But more important I think, was the rate of change, at which it let me change my 'point of sale' with out feeling like I was going to loose my edge. Nice smooth change from broad reach to closed point sailing to a very manageable jybe right into a solid upwind reach.

I have a water proof GPS, just not on board then.

I feel like I can TRAVEL with this kite, long distance, maybe unexpected changes in wind, it really works in all conditions. so far from 6-20, and i've been looking for stronger. don't get me wrong, IN light wind 5,6,mph, you do have to have the technique for flying down. So use I use down turns to start off once reaching I can pump the kite in vertical strokes close to the center of window and keep it powered enough to go.

if you get a chance to get a 14 Yakuza GT in your hands, now that's a whole new level of light wind performance. 8)

I've flown the silver arrow 19, I didn't like the way it turned.

It was doggy and when it was time to relaunch from water, Nope!
I've put the Zephyr in the water just to adjust my foot straps, pull and go relaunching isn't an issue!

I do get to fly nearly everything else out there, it's part of the perks being a rep and living in a town where everyone is a rep for SlingShot and Naish.

Ozone has got this one just right. Not only for light winds, but in medium strong also.

I'm stoked, and won't hate on other brand. Good luck riding what you will!
Attachments
100_0083.JPG
riding backward. 5mph wind
17m zephyr II.jpg
cleated for speed
17m zephyr II.jpg (43.08 KiB) Viewed 4611 times

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:00 pm

Nice pic's!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Thx
Frank

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:39 pm

eli_anderson wrote: I've got a fair bit of time on the following Ozone Inflatables:

9 Sport +
12 Light XC
11 Edge RX
13 Edge RX
15 Sport +
17 Zephyr

I'm pretty stoked on all of them. Relaunching has never been an issue. -If you can get your hands on a 13m Rx....DO IT! that kite won't let you down, it goes up wind very well in light but is super dynamic and nimble in Strong winds to. And if you are into Old School boosting and dangling, wowwwwwww, The RX is the ultimate performer. It's Great unhooked! The system is perfect.

-The Zephyr, flies in VERY LIGHT WIND. It will improve the light wind world 100 x's.

I wouldn't pass up the 13 RX.
I'm having problems re-launching my 13 RX in winds where it's still rideable, say 10 mph.
It just will not go on its side because it's so damn long.
Am I the only one ?

eli_anderson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sunset Beach, OREGON
Favorite Beaches: Oregon Beaches
Style: surf, wake, snow and sand
Gear: ozone only

Postby eli_anderson » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Clarencephil wrote:
eli_anderson wrote: I've got a fair bit of time on the following Ozone Inflatables:

9 Sport +
12 Light XC
11 Edge RX
13 Edge RX
15 Sport +
17 Zephyr

I'm pretty stoked on all of them. Relaunching has never been an issue. -If you can get your hands on a 13m Rx....DO IT! that kite won't let you down, it goes up wind very well in light but is super dynamic and nimble in Strong winds to. And if you are into Old School boosting and dangling, wowwwwwww, The RX is the ultimate performer. It's Great unhooked! The system is perfect.

-The Zephyr, flies in VERY LIGHT WIND. It will improve the light wind world 100 x's.

I'm having problems re-launching my 13 RX in winds where it's still rideable, say 10 mph.
Am I the only one ?
um...lets see, It's pretty long and not a very tall center strut. I've reached up to the leader in 10mph to give it and extra input to get it onto it's side, the other thing, I DO is to pull both outside line to reverse fly the kite, then let go of one then the other line once it's out of the water and ready to luanch horizontally. That's what I do.

Obviously light winds are going to make most High Performance kites less than easy to relaunch. Usually, Once I set my mind to lightwind mode I do what I can to keep the kite out of the water, if I put her in, then I reverse luanch. I don't recommend it. but I see a ton of people relaunching that way.

Sorry for you tough times, it's not by design, it's more of a High aspect issue on any brand.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:36 pm

eli_anderson wrote:
Clarencephil wrote:

9 Sport +
12 Light XC
11 Edge RX
13 Edge RX
15 Sport +
17 Zephyr

Am I the only one ?
um...lets see, It's pretty long and not a very tall center strut. I've reached up to the leader in 10mph to give it and extra input to get it onto it's side, the other thing, I DO is to pull both outside line to reverse fly the kite, then let go of one then the other line once it's out of the water and ready to luanch horizontally. That's what I do.

Obviously light winds are going to make most High Performance kites less than easy to relaunch. Usually, Once I set my mind to lightwind mode I do what I can to keep the kite out of the water, if I put her in, then I reverse luanch. I don't recommend it. but I see a ton of people relaunching that way.

Sorry for you tough times, it's not by design, it's more of a High aspect issue on any brand.
maybe we can add a line, like with the ZEEKO lightwind kite, his might be working for ours too...what do you think?
Frank

b0jangl3
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Barkers. South Sound
Gear: Freak Dog/EH
Brand Affiliation: Freak Dog/EH/Ozone/Aboards/Brunotti/Dakine

Postby b0jangl3 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:50 pm

Ok .. so today I got my first session in on the 17m Zephyr (as im writing this I am chuckling as I honestly couldnt beleive it)

So it was blowing anywhere from 5-8knts today (sometimes less, btw this is approx as I dont have a wind meter and both live stations on the island are broken right now) ... but I got the kite 3 days ago so I thought what the heck .. go pump it up, check it out and decide from there.

First thing you notice ... what a mamoth kite ... lol ... I have been riding for approx 5 years now and its been at least 3 since I rode a kite larger then a 14m. Last year I used the EH Eze 13m as my light wind kite and it was a good kite but for my size, approx 198lbs, anything under 10knts just wasnt happening.

K ... so to the good stuff. I first tried to go out on my 134 Pro-x. That was definatly a no go so I grabbed my 6ft custom carbon surf board .... what a blast ... I was out for approx 2.5 hrs and was able to stay up wind the entire time and it turned out to be a nice cruising session. As you can see in the photo ... I was the only one there .. almost no ripples in the ocean !!!!! ... it was extremely easy to launch and re-launch ... and just an all round wicked kite for these types of conditions.

Anyways .... All I would suggest ... is give it a go !!!! :thumb:

B

www.caribbeankiters.com
Attachments
Small_Zephyr_1.jpg
Small_Zephyr_3.jpg
Small_Zephyr_2.jpg
Last edited by b0jangl3 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:36 am

eli - Do you think the Yakuza GT is a viable option for light wind water use? If it got wet would there be any chance at all of relaunching or maybe it isn't a real problem to be worried about since it is unlikely to get wet.

Why stop at the 14 when the 17 is available? (I know the thought of getting jerked by the 17 during a gust would be rather unpleasant to say the least.)

Fixed bridle foils pull much harder than the depowerable foils and LEI's I've flown, and at a relatively competitive cost.

I've been thinking about the YGT 17 for snow and taking my chances with it on the water also - with the only drawbacks would be water relaunch and getting used to handles on water (which might turn out to be an advantage), and the additional bridle lines.

Return to “Reviews”