Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone Zephyr 17m Light Wind Kite

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ozone Zephyr 17m Light Wind Kite

Postby Windzup » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:40 pm

The Ozone distributor in Spain just sent us the first Ozone Zephyr sample. Kites are currently in production at the Ozone factory and should be delivering in the next few weeks.

The Zephyr is a new kite model from Ozone, available in a single 17m size. It is an optimized design for this size offering a dedicated light wind kite, that is also a freestyle powerhouse in moderately light wind.

We took it out to Utah Lake last night where the wind was light and steady from the north. it had kicked up to 12mph by the time a 2oo + pound rider was planing upwind on a mid size board. (started on a glide and sized down after first tack)

As the wind came up it averaged 12-15mph over the 3 hour session. 3 riders switched off on the Zephyr, including a 160 pounder and myself at 190 pounds. I was powered on a Underground 132 deck.

So, the kite is well constructed with beefy material and no extra gimmicky stuff stitched into the leading edge, a total minimalist kite, all the way down to the bridle. Laid next to a 13 Edge and a 15m Sport kites, the Zephyr has a moderate aspect ratio that falls between the two other kites. The Zephyr has 5 struts and thicker tubes than the other Ozone models. On a scale, the new 17m weighed almost the same as the 15m Sport, must be the lighter weight material!

In 12mph the kite had plenty of power to crank upwind. It relaunched flawlessly and quickly, rolling over on itself. I'd even say it relaunched better than the 15m due to the new shape. The Zephyr flies on the standard Ozone 2009 4 line bar, so you can switch bars around to any 4 line kite.

In the sky the kites agility could be compared to the 13m Edge, it loops quickly and in a small window, allowing you to work the kite when needed, and maneuver quickly to get out of trouble. The bar pressure is light, especially for the size, you can tell when you steer and the bar swings easily left and right with direct input to the kite as there are ZERO Pulleys on the Zephyr. But, as you pull the bar in you can feel the power as the kite loads up and lets you lean way back digging in your board edge.

All in all a very fun kite to fly and a solid performer in the 17m range. I would give it thumbs up for the following:
Light wind power and agility.
Bigger guys kite for all conditions.
Big Air kite for light to moderate wind depending on your weight.

Hello Zephyr....Hello Light Wind.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

www.FlyOzoneUSA.com

b0jangl3
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Barkers. South Sound
Gear: Freak Dog/EH
Brand Affiliation: Freak Dog/EH/Ozone/Aboards/Brunotti/Dakine

Re: Ozone Zephyr 17m Light Wind Kite

Postby b0jangl3 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:55 am

Hi Brian .. thanks for the review. I see Kari got 1st place in racing and 2nd in Freestyle on this in France.

Any photo's ? :-)

Also .. any news on the C Kite :-)

Thanks

B

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!

Postby Windzup » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Yeah, Kari did really well with the Zephyr. The only pics I have are on the Ozone site news here: http://www.flyozone.com/kitesurf/en/new ... ines/12427

I forgot my camera at the beach the other day, so I'll work on some shots next session.

Word on the 'O' Kite...the C4.... is that the boys in Spain are loving the current protos, and final designs should be in production by December. Its around the corner basically, ready for 2010.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

kakanala
Frequent Poster

Postby kakanala » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:08 am

I guess this will be a killer lightwind racing kite :thumb:

b0jangl3
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Barkers. South Sound
Gear: Freak Dog/EH
Brand Affiliation: Freak Dog/EH/Ozone/Aboards/Brunotti/Dakine

Postby b0jangl3 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:12 am

So when will the Zephyr and the rest of the 2010 kites be available ?

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:16 am

I might be going out on a limb here... 2010 :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :thumb:

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:27 pm

AndrewJMcGee wrote:I might be going out on a limb here... 2010 :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :thumb:
well i'm not just because of kite magazine stile review.

c'mon show us the pictures, and not just general views with taj mahal style canopy graphics. i want to see bridals and bar. you can tell a lot about the kite by looking at them. anyway ozone releases its kites one of the latest. so no need to afraid of industrial espionage.

winds

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Windzup » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:43 pm

Yo Yo,
I apologize for any mag style review... I am definitely no magazine reviewer. I also am bummed about the pics...I forgot my camera, and believe me I wanted to take some pics of this beauty in action.

It was flown in SF at the Worlds during one race, but that is another riders review to write... I waited till I had a good evening at my local spot (Utah, indian word meaning San Diego for wind) before I posted a review. It may have sounded techy as I do work with Ozone and am helping to write some product descriptions for them.

The Zephyr is in production, but so are the 2010 Snowkites, so it will be a couple weeks of the factory ramping up, and then a couple to ship... and then the Zef and Snowkites should be on shelves or ready to order. For sure, like anything Ozone, the sooner you place an order with your dealer, the sooner you'll get your kite.

Other 2010 models include a new version of the current Light XC surf kite, which will have a new name and a new shape (rumor to be a hybrid mix of ideas and more delta style wing tips). And also the 'O' kite, the Ozone version of what a C kite should be. Its called the C4 and will arrive in December or so along with the new surf wing.

That's all for now, just hoping for more light wind to find the true bottom end of this Zephyr kite. I'd like to see what I can eek out on a surf board or glide...but also stoked to be powered on small boards when I'd usually be schlogging.

Oh Yeah..the bar will be similar to 09 bar, no major changes as it is a pretty clean and simple 4 line bar. Kite bridles are basic too... one rear attachment point, a few on the LE, no pulleys, very clean.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

www.FlyOzoneUSA.com
www.OzoneRaceTeam.blogspot.com
www.FlyOzone.com

OzoneRocker
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mac, Nebraska, Skyline, Rollins Pass, Lake Granby
Favorite Beaches: Lake McConaughy, Nebraska
Style: SnowKiter
Gear: OZONES
Brand Affiliation: OZONES

Postby OzoneRocker » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:53 am

Hopefully We will have the kite for next years tour. It sounds amazing!

If you want to see even more amazing kite spots and Pictures check out:

http://www.ozonekitetour.com

Peace

patrick

eli_anderson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sunset Beach, OREGON
Favorite Beaches: Oregon Beaches
Style: surf, wake, snow and sand
Gear: ozone only

Postby eli_anderson » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:28 pm

Brian, I'll take some pics and vids for ya!

:thumb:

...it'll be here tomorrow

Return to “Reviews”