Postby eli_anderson » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:37 pm

I've got a fair bit of time on the following Ozone Inflatables:

9 Sport +
12 Light XC
11 Edge RX
13 Edge RX
15 Sport +
17 Zephyr

I'm pretty stoked on all of them. Relaunching has never been an issue. Some of the tighter launches I've actually been Drift Launching the 11 Edge, 9 sport and 12 Light.

I totally appreciate the custom look and feel of this brand. I've held other brands, just feels like the same cheese burger over and over again.

"""I think again Ozone is proving they are a compnay that is not following trends in a way like just producing and throw on the market, I hope that as usual they took their time to bring a product that functions without worries.
What is the standard line length of this kite? 25m? 27m? (32m like the zeeko)""""

-normally 25 m lines, I've used 27m lines and like the extra low low end, as the bars can be swapped from kite to kite, it'd be a good idea to get a couple kites and rig 2 different lengths of line, not a bad idea.

"""""""Post subject: Re: Ozone Zephyr 17m Light Wind Kite Reply with quote
Nice to eventually see a real dedicated light wind ... tube kite!
I was thinking of a rx13m² as my light wind kite (I'm 70kg/150bl) that I could use with a 150cm board when wind would be really light.
Now I'm a little bit confused :lol:
Is 17m² going to be too big to handle for my weight? Or could it be the ultimate light wind I was waiting for so long???
If someone has tried the rx13m², what low end should I expect with either the rx or the zephir?""""

-If you can get your hands on a 13m Rx....DO IT! that kite won't let you down, it goes up wind very well in light but is super dynamic and nimble in Strong winds to. And if you are into Old School boosting and dangling, wowwwwwww, The RX is the ultimate performer. It's Great unhooked! The system is perfect.

-The Zephyr, flies in VERY LIGHT WIND. It will improve the light wind world 100 x's.

I wouldn't pass up the 13 RX.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Ozone Zephyr 17m Light Wind Kite

Postby naishdude » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:29 pm

Eli,
thx for your input , it is well appreciated! :thumb:
My gear will change for 2010 from FS Speed² 15m, Ozone Sport+ 11M and 9m to:

Ozone Zephyr 17m ( wished they had a 15 m too)
and a 11m / 9m / 7m ozone ..not a sport anymore....( for wave so it should be fast! hopefully as fast as the 2008!) will become the ozone Light propably, wondering what the changes will be there.
Thx again
Frank

aTi
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby aTi » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:38 am

thx eli for your answer.
so I guess your advice is: go for both! I would totally agree with you on that ... if only I had the money :lol:
I can only get one right now, and then have to save some more to eventually buy the other one. Since I get a lot of really low wind (10knots ... and less!), I wanted to go for the zephir, but then my next kite is a 9 with a low end around 16/18knots and I'll probably end up missing the 13 cause I doubt I'll be able to handle a 17 up to 18 knots!
Anyway can't wait for this kite to be out for sale :jump: ... and test!

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Hannay » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:17 am

Hello, the kites went on sale this morning on the OzoneDistributors webshop. Get pestering your local dealer now!

I ordered a bunch for Spain this morning, they should be here in 2 week so lets start praying for light wind (eh?)

Iain

kakanala
Frequent Poster

Postby kakanala » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:26 am

Hannay wrote:
I ordered a bunch for Spain this morning, they should be here in 2 weeks

Iain
oh, yes!!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Hannay » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:42 am

kakanala wrote:
Hannay wrote:
I ordered a bunch for Spain this morning, they should be here in 2 weeks

Iain
oh, yes!!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Ohhhh yessss! Yours is in there, choose your colour now!

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!

Postby Windzup » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:38 pm

Yup Yup,
Echoing Ian's words.... The Zephyrs are in production and the first ones are already being sewn up. We have been taking orders for them in the US and it looks like the first batch is already spoken for....

...better get your order in with your shop/distributor or you'll be a few weeks behind the others! :wink:

Stoked to hear the news about Kari, taking the Zeph to the podium again.. way to go girl!

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

order in USA at: sales@windzup.com

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Not sure I get it... I read stuff about 160 to 190 pounders going out in 12-15mph, I do that with my Evo 15m and to some extent if it does not drop below 12 with my Rebel 12m. 8 knots is within the range of most 15m kites. Are we not just seeing the fact that a bigger kite (with light construction)handles lighter winds better? How would it compare to an old Contra 17m? Not sure I get it, I would be surprised to try the Rebel 16m in those conditions I am not saying it would be better just wondering, also the Zeeko 14 has that clever relauch line attached to the tip of a strut, I saw it relaunch in not much but my Rebel 12 was also relaunching. I also read about a 52kg (115lbs) loving it but again... Given this kite relaunches very easily, what is the relaunch like in deep water with no board in your feet (yep happens...)? i need more convincing than a 190 pounder gets going in 10 knots...By the way I am 188lbs dry.

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:25 am

God damit all this 2010 talk is makin me foam at the mouth!!! Can wait to see the new Light! Can wait to ride them all.

kakanala
Frequent Poster

Postby kakanala » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:35 am

flipper231 wrote:Not sure I get it... I read stuff about 160 to 190 pounders going out in 12-15mph, I do that with my Evo 15m and to some extent if it does not drop below 12 with my Rebel 12m. 8 knots is within the range of most 15m kites. Are we not just seeing the fact that a bigger kite (with light construction)handles lighter winds better? How would it compare to an old Contra 17m? Not sure I get it, I would be surprised to try the Rebel 16m in those conditions I am not saying it would be better just wondering, also the Zeeko 14 has that clever relauch line attached to the tip of a strut, I saw it relaunch in not much but my Rebel 12 was also relaunching. I also read about a 52kg (115lbs) loving it but again... Given this kite relaunches very easily, what is the relaunch like in deep water with no board in your feet (yep happens...)? i need more convincing than a 190 pounder gets going in 10 knots...By the way I am 188lbs dry.
My new Zephyr should arrive soon, so I promise a honest, objective review as soon as I've spent some time on it. I am 190 lb and I'll publish realistic wind ranges on raceboard, waveboard and twintip. Also, me and a few buddies will compare the new Zephyr with 2009 Xbow 16, 2009 rebel 16, 2009 Flysurfer 17... among others. To be continued....

Return to “Reviews”