Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone Zephyr 17m Light Wind Kite

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ozone Zephyr 17m Light Wind Kite

Postby flipper231 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:53 am

Ok now with those comparisons you really make me foam at the mouth...lol. I like Ozone, greaat quality but their kites did not have enough bar pressure back in 2007 so I stuck with North but the light wind kite is a different story, i will go with the best money can buy...Thanks in advance.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:03 am

kakanala wrote: Given this kite relaunches very easily, what is the relaunch like in deep water with no board in your feet (yep happens...)? i need more convincing than a 190 pounder gets going in 10 knots...By the way I am 188lbs dry.
That is what I am wondering about too, I once had, that I dropped my FS Speed 15m, in very light winds, LE towards the water, current in the opposite direction of the (light) wind direction, lost the board ( which was carried upwind with the current :angryfire: , ) it took me a pretty long time to start the kite again, and the Flysurfer is an easy starter as long as you have no tangles and now the tricks...
I just wonder how this Zephyr will behave in starting in lightwind, would a line like the one on the zeeko help? that would be a nice addon

My new Zephyr should arrive soon, so I promise a honest, objective review as soon as I've spent some time on it. I am 190 lb and I'll publish realistic wind ranges on raceboard, waveboard and twintip. Also, me and a few buddies will compare the new Zephyr with 2009 Xbow 16, 2009 rebel 16, 2009 Flysurfer 17... among others. To be continued....[/quote

I am very interested in this, more in the fact of the directional waveboard, because I have a strapped surf 6'1 thruster, I used to fly it with my FS Speed² in light winds so now with the Zephyr hoping this will work the same , I was wondering if you have any experience in changing the middle fin into a bigger one just for lichtwind reasons...would this bring anything, I think so, but I never tried it.
Thx
Frank ( Antwerp/Belgium)
]

kakanala
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kakanala » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:29 am

naishdude wrote:
I was wondering if you have any experience in changing the middle fin into a bigger one just for lichtwind reasons...would this bring anything, I think so, but I never tried it.
Thx
Frank ( Antwerp/Belgium)[/color]]
I swapped both side fins in my 6'3" thruster for 2 fins from NJS designs (Futures box) and the board went immediately in OVERBOOST-ROCKET mode while keeping 90% of it's original manouverability in the waves. Those fins from Nils are simply amazing.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:09 pm

kakanala wrote:
naishdude wrote:
I was wondering if you have any experience in changing the middle fin into a bigger one just for lichtwind reasons...would this bring anything, I think so, but I never tried it.
Thx
Frank ( Antwerp/Belgium)[/color]]
I swapped both side fins in my 6'3" thruster for 2 fins from NJS designs (Futures box) and the board went immediately in OVERBOOST-ROCKET mode while keeping 90% of it's original manouverability in the waves. Those fins from Nils are simply amazing.
Thx mate, if possible can you give me some sizes.?
Thx
Frank

eli_anderson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sunset Beach, OREGON
Favorite Beaches: Oregon Beaches
Style: surf, wake, snow and sand
Gear: ozone only
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby eli_anderson » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:40 pm

Luv'n the Zephyr, I'm not giving it back, its totally sick but you have to get your own :bye:
Attachments
100_0088.JPG
Zephyr

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:52 pm

eli_anderson wrote:Luv'n the Zephyr, I'm not giving it back, its totally sick but you have to get your own :bye:
Ooooooch that hurts... :wink: Still waiting for mine!!! ( same color)
what is the width of that kite like that...I think it looks really huge.
when it hangs in the sky, does it look like a flat kite with an high aspect ratio?
Thx
Shaking Frank :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

eli_anderson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sunset Beach, OREGON
Favorite Beaches: Oregon Beaches
Style: surf, wake, snow and sand
Gear: ozone only

Postby eli_anderson » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:47 pm

take a look, seems sort of C-shaped with Bridle.

I took it for a spin in my race buggy, in 5mph wind, it's not very hard to hit 25mph on the buggy.

I weight 215lbs, and I'm riding when I shouldn't be.

I don't race, but I might as well start, I race land kites, so I could probably handle kite board racing. We have a couple spots that are pretty marginal. Down Wind Current + Light winds. But a lot of people like those conditions, and a lot of people have taken this Zephyr out, and so far no complaints.

Realistic reviews, the review is always up for interpretation. I do like having the Zephyr in pretty big wind to, it's boosty and very floaty, and that kick ass for Kite Ground Boarding also.
Attachments
17m zephyr VII.jpg
17m zephyr VII.jpg (55.59 KiB) Viewed 2449 times

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:54 am

Also looks to me like short wing tips... with a flatter middle section. I would love to have tested one today back to back with 16m 08 havoc, in the ocean. It would have been perfect for testing.

Eli have you had to Depower it yet? I would love to hear about your findings with alittle stronger winds. The thing I like about the havoc is that I can hold it down with even short gust to 18 knots, maybe 20 but that is pushing it. If it came up like that on a downwinder could you hold it down for the ride or would you have to come in? 15kts is very fun with the 16m havoc, especialy on a downwind run. I can ride straight downwind/or just off the wind toeside with the kite locked..lol.

If i was in one spot OVIOUSLY I would come in for a smaller kite, say my 13m 07 sport. Miles from my car downwind, I want something I can count on. Let me know whats up!!! I will sell the havoc and scoop the 17 in a heartbeat to complete my ozone line up.

9, 13, 17 o baby I like the sound of that

Andy

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:12 am

Has anyone had one to compare to the big Flysurfers, Speed 2 or 3 19mtr? These are the light wind kings at the moment or so it seems.

I'm looking at upgrading my old FS Psycho 17 and wondering which way to jump, can't get a Zephyr to test yet.

Interesting that Ozone is big into foils but chose to build a LEI as a light wind kite.
Tim

kakanala
Frequent Poster

Postby kakanala » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:27 am

eli_anderson wrote:
I took it for a spin in my race buggy, in 5mph wind, it's not very hard to hit 25mph on the buggy.

I weight 215lbs, and I'm riding when I shouldn't be.
So this thing flies in 5 mph and it is able tu build decent apparent wind from the smallest puff..... oh, I'm going to love this kite.

high wind limits for this kite, anyone?

Return to “Reviews”