Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Test of the 5m Ovando 2010

Postby panchito » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Hi folks , I am writing all together here so it´s easy for you to read

CV

43 old , 75 kg kiter since late 2004 or better said , around 350 or so sessions , old school , love to jump ( the higher the better ) my boards are ( both Shinn 08 ) 134 x 42 & Wave .

My last quiver was a full set ( 7 till 13 ) of 07 modified Ozone Edges and I am planning to replace them with a 5 / 9 combo .

Bits & Peaces
Bag : ok , simple , does the job , I use kite bags mainly to keep the kite in the garage and in the trunk so Imo is fine.

Bar : after using for 3 years Ozones without a decent swivel , I must say this one works , about quality ( first time ever riding an EH ) ask me in 30 sessions.

Pump: no like ... to small for my taste but do the job .

Quality of the kite : ask me in 30 sessions but after crashing it half a dozen times this afternoon , it looks ok.

Graphics : care less

Light wind : 18 / 23 knots

23 meters + extensions

Hard to believe but the kite really works fine around 20 knots ( as long as they are average )
fun to use with my Mutant and have fun . if the wind drops more than a few knots is all over ... the turning speed is excellent , it moves thru the window like no other kite I´ve tested before .... very nice .
Relaunch can be a bit tricky specially if you try it sheeting all the way in , reverse launch works like a charm is such winds , other than that ... keep the bar a few inches away from the CL ....

Med winds : 25 knots

23 meters lines

Must say that I will probably only use the extensions if I forgot my bigger kite at home cause this kite is much more fun with 23 meters , it´s faster , more reactive , I´m very well powered up ( park & ride ) , jumping is fine ( 10 ft ? ) hang time is like my 7m Edge ..
Relaunch was no problem , again do not sheet all the way in ....

High winds : 30 knots ( 23m Lines )

Love this kite , jumps very well , hang time is excellent be prepared for some wild rides , this kite generates lots of power for its size , relaunch no problem at all , trim strap pulled around 1/3 so I would say that 30 ish and a few more knows is fine with this kite but .......

Is this kite perfect ?

NO ...

Was kiting today in extreme gusty conditions in Tarifa with winds around 20 ish up to 40 knots gusts and in these conditions the kite reacts much to sensitive to strong gusts and is hard to fly , a few times the pull of the kite was so hard ( like a old C 4 liner ) that I had to litteraly put my entire body into the water to hold down the power , it was fun to test how far I was able to bring this kite but thats it .

This little kite is really fun to use around the 20 knots mark and if the wind in your area is half way " normal " you could easily use this kite above the 30 knots mark with no problems , but if you kite in high winds with extreme gusts like we use to get here in Tarifa once in a while , you better go with a Ripper or something else , also as EH has been always insisting that the Ovandos were created to be great light wind kites and are not supposed to be high wind kites by any mean . EH´s wind chart says clearly that the top end for a rider on my weight should be around 30 knots , you can easily add a few more knots but I also do not recommend to even think off going out on winds over the 30 knots mark .

I guess , the excellent low end performance of this size is a trade off against what we normally would " think " about the high end of a 5 meter kite but still , been able to get going with just under 20 knots with a 5 meter is amazing and really , really fun .

Next week I will be testing the Ovando 9m .... stay tuned

Saludos

Franz
Last edited by panchito on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Re: Flew the shit out of the 5m Ovando

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:06 pm

Your input and opinion is greatly appreciated. I ride ozone, and feel strongly about the brand. I am sure you do also. For you to switch over in tarifa.....one of the windiest places on earth means something to me. Can't wait to hear the 30- 40 kt report

Andy

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:23 am

Hi

Well yeah , been riding Ozones since 2006 and although I love my Edges , I think I was ready for something different , same way I found the design concept of the original Instincts innovative , I found this Arrow concept also appealing .

I was looking for replacements for my aging kites but did not like much the Ozones 09 line up ( question of personal taste I would say ) , other than that the quality of their kites together ( at least hear in Spain ) with the customer service has been excellent all these years .

Saludos

Franz

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:54 pm

I have put everything together on my first post

Saludos

Franz
Last edited by panchito on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tradewind
Medium Poster

Re: Testing out the 5m Ovando

Postby tradewind » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:20 pm

Franz,
How was the ripping weekend on the Ov 5 ??

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:17 am

tradewind wrote:Franz,
How was the ripping weekend on the Ov 5 ??
Hi

Well, ... none , on Saturday the wind was absolutely crappy side on shore going from 20 to 35 in no time , on Sunday I was unable to go to the beach .... Family day :)

Looks like we are getting some decent wind by Thursday or Friday ... I´m really looking forward to test the high end of this kite but with 25 knots I did not even touch the de-power strap so I guess 30 knots should be no problem at all ... I may be wrong but 35 knots should be the top ( kite-able ) ..... as long as it is not f** gusty ..

Will see

Saludos

Franz

PS. So far I´m very impressed with this little power horse of a kite ... hard to believe a 5m with such a power ... , can´t wait to test the 9m , it should arrive next week

tradewind
Medium Poster

Postby tradewind » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:33 pm

I made the 9 my low wind day kite as I can go out when everybody is on his 12 and I'm well powered with my 65 kg even on my 115 twin .
We mostly get not more than 25 kn and from 16/17 the fun starts on the 7 wich is kind of special to me , a real fun power packet :-)

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:59 pm

One thing I forgot to mention ..... I crashed the kite pretty bad once and had a swim back shore cause the LE lost most of its air , the reason was that the deflate valve was not pulled out complete before pumping so the velcro strap was kinda loose , it looks like on the crash the valve moved away from the velcro and due to the increased pressure it opened a bit , enough to let most of the air out.

SO before pumping the LE ( which I guess you have to first close the big valve ) make sure you pull the entire valve out ( as far as it can be ) and secure it tight with the velcro ... since then on the next big crash , kite was fine , at first It though one of the velcro tripe was to long and I was going to cut it , then I realized the valve was half way in......

Shit happens ....

Saludos

Franz

Maradentro
Medium Poster
Style: a little of everything
Gear: EH kiteboarding, Ripper - Ovando
Brand Affiliation: Love the Cabarete EH family ;-).

Postby Maradentro » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:24 pm

Picking my OV 5M up today in cabarete, then of to Hood river to end the season

I'll ad my review of 30+, hope to catch some anyway, later.

M

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Testing out the 5m Ovando ( final test )

Postby panchito » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi

I made a resume on the top (on my first post )

Saludos

Franz

Return to “Reviews”