Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Hatteras, SPI, Costa Rica, Baja, Boca Grande Aruba
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone C4s
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone C4

Postby mesaman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:09 am

droffats wrote:

Hi, no the kite doesn't drop out of the sky, it is not 100% depower. It has more depower than the Sport 2009 but still remains with power when the bar is dropped.
I have been kiting for several years, but I am just now trying unhooked stuff. I demo'd Ozones last April and liked them. Hopefully I will be able to pay for new kites soon, so I am studying up on the reviews. After reading this reviews I have a question.

I am used to kites that have enough depower in the throw that when I am leashed to my chicken loop and I release the bar, the kite immediately falls out of the sky. According to the quote above, this does not happen with the C4s. I am sure the kite will eventually fall out the sky if the bar is dropped without any input from the rider. But, how quickly? If I am trying unhooked, I don't want to get dragged for a while until the kite finally falls out of the sky (especially a stable flying kite like this may take longer). I am new to unhooked, I may be missing some logic in this? Is it OK to be leashed to the chicken loop on the C4s? Will the kite slam down when the bar is dropped or will it fall slowly and wait for you ready to re-launch like a bow kite?

Thanks for answering all these questions.

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Hannay » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:03 am

HI Mesaman, the C4 will not simply fall out of the sky when the bar is dropped and the bar shoots up to the minimum power if you are hooked in to the suicide leash. It will remain flying with maximum depower giving you enough time to pull the leash and grab the chicken to hook back in again. This is a great option, if the kite fell out of the sky right away then you would have to relaunch the kite once you grabbed the chickenloop. The kite gives you enough time before it falls out of the sky to hook in.

The C4 has a huge amount of depower, this means the you can ride unhooked, if you pick up too much speed or become uncomfortable and want to release the bar then you can let go, grab the chickenloop and hook back in again without any drama of being dragged.

Have fun and enjoy the kite.

Iain

Hannay
Frequent Poster

Postby Hannay » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:34 am

bluerocketboy wrote:hey viktor, just wondered what u thought of the sizing, at the moment i ride 12 and 8 meter lightxc's, will probably replace the 12 with a c4, do u reckon, 11,12 or 13? i use it from about 15 to 23 knots, cheers. sweet vid too
Hey blue rocketboy, go for the 12m C4 for that range and to replace the 12m Light, unless you are particularly heavy.

Cheers Iain

54bigfoot
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby 54bigfoot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:24 pm

And to replace a edge II 13 C4 15 or 13 ? ( I weigh 90kg)

Hannay
Frequent Poster

Postby Hannay » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:29 pm

54bigfoot wrote:And to replace a edge II 13 C4 15 or 13 ? ( I weigh 90kg)
I would go for the 15m, we saw it ripping on the snow and it has a fast turn.

Cheers Iain

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:12 pm

Is it save to assume that the C4's power is equivalent to a bow-type SLE two sizes smaller?
Recommended C4 two kite quiver for 80kg rider on 130 x 40TT in 15 to 30 knots?

Hannay
Frequent Poster

Postby Hannay » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:20 pm

aeberl wrote:Is it save to assume that the C4's power is equivalent to a bow-type SLE two sizes smaller?
Recommended C4 two kite quiver for 80kg rider on 130 x 40TT in 15 to 30 knots?
To be sweetly powered in 15 knots on your TT go for the 13m, that with a 9m you will be sorted.

Most riders I know are buying one size up. I was out on the 10m in 30+ knots of gusty madness the other day and was loving it. No unhooked stuff, just hanging on and boosting when the gusts came in,.

Iain

Hannay
Frequent Poster

Postby Hannay » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:26 pm

Had an awesome ride, perfectly powered on a 9m in 20 knots today. Downwind and waves. I am a fat old 85 kilos.

The kite boosts nice an high and switches direction with the tug of the bar, so fast and nice. Easy to unhook for down the line waves.

My pal was on the 10m and a F One surf board and ripping too.

Iain

Loopit
Rare Poster

Postby Loopit » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:42 am

Hey blue, I haven't tried to light so unfortunately I can't say what I would have gone for.

For the unhooked stuff I can answer thou

Some kites have a really long depowerline, I mean long enough to not be able to grab it once you lose it. The C4 is not quite that long. But it got some bridles so its a bit forgiving in that sense.
Although when you unhook and also hooked in turns you never loose power which is so boring.

If it's lightwind and you got it at 12 and let go of the bar (why) it will stay for 10seconds? and then a gust from the side hits it and it will slowly go down on one side. Same in strong winds actually

OK so unhooked when you miss the bar in a trick: It goes out to the edge of your wind window, no problems at all, wish I could upload a crash I've done with it, I mean its great no more to explain, I love the lenght of the centerline/depowerline and I'm always suicide except when I'm on the beach.

Sorry about the messed up english, its early in the morning and I gotta have my tea now :rollgrin:

54bigfoot
Rare Poster

Postby 54bigfoot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:06 pm

http://vimeo.com/9139266

Is this C4 15 ???

Return to “Reviews”