Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Plastimo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone C4

Postby Plastimo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:12 am

Hi Cleo,

Thanks for the comparisons... :D This Kite really sounds what I am looking for and I already have got a 9 and 13 on order and they should be arriving in Canada around the New Year!

Can't wait to go on a Spring Trip and see what this Kite is made of!! 8)

Cheers,

Plastimo

Cleo
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Cleo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:11 pm

No worries Plastimo :) I am waiting for 7, 9, 11 and....I can't wait! This will take couple of weeks to get them but...I ll try to be patient :)

ineedwindnow
Medium Poster

Postby ineedwindnow » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Had a test run on the 11mtr wind was gusting 17 2 24 knots I have no preference on any brands or am a team rider for any shop.

The build quality was top stuff from ozone the bar nice and simple , we also had the torch , and fuel to demo as well.

Unhooking with the C4 was smooth but it did not have the expolsive power the torch and fuel had when unhooking we also found the kite to back stall a little as well we suspected this was due to the bridle and with the bar pressure being so light at times we could not feel where the kite was.The pop was not as good as the fuel or torch and we found we had more time in the air with both the fuel and torch.
Boosting with the C4 was nice very smooth and the landings were soft and controlled.You can really go big with this kite.
After testing the kite we were all impressed with this kite but felt it was more like a hybrid than a full blown C kite.Nice job ozone. :thumb:

Plastimo
Medium Poster

Postby Plastimo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:47 am

Hi Ineedwindnow,

Solid Review :)

When you say its not as explosive as the Torch, How would you compare it to most other Kites for Unhooked pop and for freestyle Riding. Looking for a kite that excels at freestyle riding but can also relaunch quick at its low end and does not get tangled in its fifth. As well where I kite we usually see 12+ knot gust so depower is key here at our local spots. You say the Kite goes big...? Kinda like Old School big airs i take it, What height would you say you were getting on average for your boost?

Very interested to here your comments!!

Cheers,

Plastimo

ineedwindnow
Medium Poster

Postby ineedwindnow » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:01 am

The torch has great pop as does the fuel we felt the ozone had good pop but we could get more height and glide with both the torch and fuel just by edging and poping of the water.So if your going for unhooked freestyle these two kites excelled in that area.
Relaunch the ozone was slighty faster out of the water due to the four lines and bridle set up.Depower was good but edging is required to slow the kite down we felt out of the three the torch had the best depower with the ozone second and then the fuel but all kites had great depower for C kites almost on par with Sle kites.
The kite goes big but has a smooth pull as it lifts you up and the landings were smooth the fuel was grunty and wanted to rip you out of the water as well as your harness.With the right wind you can easily get 30 foot boosts with this kite we just thought although the kite was nice and smooth to ride it still lacked the performance the torch and fuel had when unhooking.But depending on what you want to do Im sure this kite would satisfy most intermediate to advanced riders.
C kites are great these days they just don't have the range of a Bow or Sle but hey they have much better performance and bar feel. :thumb:

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:23 am

Hello friends,
was able to try the C-4 13m in very bad off shore Bali wind... 6 to 13 knots.
Really impressed from the kite... I thought that my Light XC where smooth!!
The C-4 is even better... Tried back to back and felt the C-4 13m has a bit better low end then my XC 12m. Turn same or a bit faster... But the turns are just nicer.. more rounded and with more power!
Catch few waves and was really happy. Tried the relaunch and kite is coming out of the water very easily.
Very very happy.. I would prefer not to have the one pump but knowing the quality is fine.
Love the new bar but I will try tomorrow the 13m on last year bar.

Bye Jankie

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:59 pm

this is the new baby....looking good though , although the wind was pretty gusty!:thumb: :thumb:

kitayatollah
Rare Poster

Postby kitayatollah » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Test in Holland this Sunday with a 9m borrowed from Billy Kite shop in Brussels

Test Conditions:
- Flat water with winds ranging from 25 knots (beginning of session) up to 40 knots (end of session).
- 2 Riders 74kg/82kg accustomed to ozone sport + / Edge for one and Rev. II for the other.
- kite setting on middle attachment point (the kite has 3 settings with bar pressure increasing as kite speed decreases).
- Boards: TT acid II 130 and SS Lunacy

Pros (vs. Sport + and Rev II 9m):
- Impressive high end: we had to bring the kite down when gusts started hitting 40 knots. With our Ozone Sport + / Rev II 9m, we would have had to bring the kite down above 35 knots. The high end of C4 9m remains however way below that of Sport+ 7m. We still had the Sport+ 7m on the water when the 35+ knots gusts came in and were still grinning.
- Faster turning speed than the sport + 9m. Now about equivalent to the sport + 7m. Turns around its axis vs. Sport+ that turned more around its wing tip.
- Same bar pressure and smooth feel than the Sport +
- Bigger lift than the Rev II and the Sport + same size. You send kite at 11 o’clock for boosting, keep it at noon during the jump and bring down to 1 o’clock for an ultra smooth landing. The kite is fast enough to sent it back at the very last moment when you spot your landing. Timing is intuitive.
- Kite behaves safely: it did not fold or misbehave even in the 40 knots gusts.
- Kite can be parked at zenith or edge of the wind window. Won’t move.
- Relaunch was no problem in this wind.
- Anal construction and attention to details, as usual with Ozone. There’s now a seal on the kite "Rip stop fabric by Teijin Techno Force" for those who have not yet noticed that Ozone does not use the same fabricI that most brands made in China.
- Single Bar 54cm (5cm less than the Sport +) for all sizes. New grip.

Cons (vs. Sport + and Rev II 9m):
- Feels a bit less reactive than the Rev II 9m. Although the C4 turns quickly, the bar must be frankly engaged. We however tested the C4 with the middle bar pressure/turning speed setting.
- Kite artwork is a bit boring with just 3 colors to choose from.

Question Marks (there was too much wind to tell):
- What’s the low end vs. Sport+/Rev II 9m?
- Unhooked performance?
- Kiteloopability: we just had the balls for downloops. No flapping with moderate pull here.
- Low wind re-launch ability?

Conclusions:
- vs. the Sport + 9m, the C4 9m has the same smooth bar feeling but is a faster turning kite with higher top end and more lift. Coming from the Sport+, felt at home immediately.
- vs. the Rev II 9m, the C4 has a much smoother bar feel, turns slower but has much bigger lift and higher top end
- we will need to test the C4 low end to check its wind range and behavior unhooked and in kiteloops.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:50 pm

Anal construction
:lol: funny comment. :lol:

kitayatollah
Rare Poster

Postby kitayatollah » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:59 pm

Re-tested the C4 9m today, this time in its mid to low end (25 to 15 knots). The other kites on the water were Rebel 12m, Convert 12 m and RRD 9m.

Rider: 74kg + TT Acid II

- The kite low end is around 17 knots. Below that, I still had planning but could not keep upwind anymore (I checked the 15 knots lull with my windmaster II that I had left on the beach). So comparable to the Sport+ 9m in my experience.
- Kiteloops are too easy. The kite turns fast so allows to complete the loop before you touch water even with small 2-3m jumps. What a difference vs. my 9m Sport+! The pull is not massive however so looks like a real kite loop but may not feel like a real kiteloop to some. Perfect for arthritic Rubens like me.
- Same for downloops. I did all my jibes heelside or toeside withe the kite parked at 10 or 2 and then whacked it for a downloop as I was jibing. No problem here for the kite to complete the turn way above water, even when its starting position was quite low. This for me is the major improvement over the Sport+. This is a kite that will perform beautifully in the surf.
- I played with the kite rear lines attachment point settings. Tried middle and rear attachments but did not find a big difference. The kite is a bit faster with the rear attachment setting but by not much. Bar pressure feels the same.
- Even in 15 knots, the kite relaunches easily. The only issue that I discovered is that the kite is hard to re-launch when it falls on its back (extrados) and forms a U in front of the rider with the wingtips pointing upward.
- Kite is fast. There was max 25 knots today and my GPS max speed showed 30.6 knots.
- Finally, the in air stability is amazing. I could re-adjust my straps keeping the kite at 12 for a full minute!

Net, this is an improvement over the already excellent Sport+. Particularly when it comes to how it should perform in the surf (I find the Sport+ a bit too slow turning here).

Return to “Reviews”