All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: new kite (PL Charger 12)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:02 pm 
Rare Poster

12 Charger - new Peter Lynn
Got to try a few days ago. Conditions blew average 14 MPH - 10-20 and there was fun surf C-Street. I am about 165 lbs and ride different gear. Today on an old 5'3" directional underground. My friend Traig, the main monkey at Monkey Air handed me off the kite, as he was exiting his fun session riding waves on his fish. The wind felt like it was coming up a bit, so off I go. First wave I ramped up on - WOW, good pop...up, up & away...nice float. A bit out of control because I wasn't used to the fast steering. Went in and out for a while, feeling the kite's reactions. Easy to ride waves, smooth and responsive steering, with sleeker look due to its new shape and design. Stability was classic, just let go of the bar and kite drifts slowly back over your head. Great for screwups, like me, especially if you're upside-down in the surf. All around fun kite to ride, probably best 15-25. Want to try out the new 15. Just my 2 cents..still testing. Gary

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: new kite (PL Charger 12)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:09 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I am 195 pounds and ride a real floaty and flat rockered 5'10" wide tailed strapless fish surfboard that I also regular paddle in surf on. An efficient board is everything with these ram air and inflato kites that develop good apparent wind power to maximize power for us heavy guys. Was able to get out again on the 12m for a few minutes again in the evening with some light winds at Topanga and a little surf. Had some fun rides on the 12 in conditions that I would have only used the 15 syn before. Just throwing the kite around for power when needed in the frequent lulls was keeping me upwind and riding waves. So used to 20 m lines on my sle kites that using 25m lines always takes getting used to. The kite pivots far better and the stiff feel and upwind add to a much better kite from PL than all past examples. If you are a cruiser, jumper and want a great all around kite, this is it. Really looking forward to testing the 15 for our light local conditions on marginal days. For pure wave riding, the instant stiffness of the best and fastest sle gives an edge in the lightest air stuff as the extra weight actually allows it to instantly get going whereas the PL charger offers the huge advantage of easily stayin in the air in the lulls and does not demand constant attention to keep it air born. The charger turns much faster than old PL's with the added benefit of the double pulley tip bridles, thinner profile for more speed through the air, stiffer structure with extra cells and just two main vents to keep the internal pressure higher. Going to build up a 20m lineset bar to test these kites on. These are certainly the stiffest ram air kites I have tried.
If you are coming from PL kites, you will be very happy with these and those from the LEI ranks will take less time to familiarize themselves with the kites flying style to maximize performance on this the highest performance kite from PL to date.

Post subject: Re: new kite (PL Charger 12)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:37 am 
Very Frequent Poster

OOOps Left the main center zipper wide open on the 12m today and if flew well considering... Took me a while to figure out where all the power had gone. A clear show of the kites improved internal pressure to have gone through an entire session like that. Loosing a fin on my old twin fin surfboard forced me in and discovered the odd lack of power in the light winds today. The kite is proving to be the best one so far for PL.

[ 3 posts ]