Gear: 2006 Airush Lift 10m and 12m
2007 Liquid Force Recoil 130 x 39
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Epic Screamer Full Review, Videos, Pics, & Discussion

Postby pdkite » Fri May 07, 2010 2:25 pm

Dimitri M wrote:
P.S. Pdkite,
Maybe you should try the kite again and see how it performs in the LOOPS. But hold on to your pants :thumb:
i plan to.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Fri May 07, 2010 3:08 pm

magnus... the bar has several safety features. The throw is great, and if you tune the kite just right, you can have it fall out of the sky if you drop the bar. If you pop the QR, it engages a mini 5th line that runs a few feet of the front lines (to the metal loops). Great depower there, and it's really easy to put back together. There is a full flag feature via the outside line loops. I've used this once and in an emergency situation I can openly say that it was effective. The kite is in the garage, and I'm here typing... so it worked just fine.

Good luck with the demos.
b

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Either way, in my opinion, Epic is one of the most pimped kite brands on this forum right now. So for me, personally, I would like some more info on how the kite actually performs, not just post after post talking about how it is the best kite in every aspect... When it is said to be a good kite for looping, I would like to know how it loops, if it pivots or turn
Magnus I hope you read my review. Cuz i really did talk about the kites performance rather than just say it is amazing.

As for looping. I am not pulling F-16s yet (unhooked kiteloops) give me a couple weeks. But I downloop it a ton and do some hooked in loops. It pivots exactly how I like a kite to, around a wingtip and the pull through it is nuts. I flew this kite back to back versus a waroo and cult, (kites in a different league but w/e) and I can tell you those kites don't even compare to the Screamer in looping. I haven't tried a similar high performance kite back to back but have tried plenty others in the past and can say confidently the Screamer feels the most natural when looping. It hauls up to the top of the window and catches so nicely.

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:12 pm

Oh also would like to comment on the depower
As everyone has mentioned. If you tune the kite by a couple of knots it completely changes the amount of power the kite has when sheeted out/flagged out. I have mine tuned (very easy to do with multiple knots on both ends) to where the kite depowers 80% percent bar throw. I know that it depowers fine and anyone that says so otherwise does not know what they are talking about or had a poorly tuned kite. I have used the release and it drops the kite out of the air just fine. I also will let go of the bar and it drops the kite smoothly. I am fully confident that my release will work in a sketchy situation (it already has!)

magnus_norway
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10
Cabrinha XBow 7
Cabrinha Switchblade 12
Slingshot Lunacy 129
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby magnus_norway » Fri May 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks, grantman. Sorry, missed the part about the turning characteristics... I do think your review is one of the more specific that I've seen about the Epic kites. It's only that I'm getting a bit skeptical when I see an SLE kite announced as having all the C-kite characteristics. That's a claim many companies bring forward these days...

When it comes to the safety of the bar, I'm not convinced. That mini 5th as it is displayed in the pictures doesn't do more than depower the kite some more than letting go of the bar (the difference is given by the distance between the stopper ball and the mini 5th attachment point where the two front lines meet). For me, I prefer a true flagging ability off of one of the front lines or a real 5th line. I agree that you can achieve this with the O'shit handles on the back lines, but this is not a good permanent leash attachment point.

On a side note, I must say that I'm impressed by the effort Dimitri puts into answering questions on this forum! (Mail is also sent.)

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:39 pm

When it comes to the safety of the bar, I'm not convinced. That mini 5th as it is displayed in the pictures doesn't do more than depower the kite some more than letting go of the bar (the difference is given by the distance between the stopper ball and the mini 5th attachment point where the two front lines meet). For me, I prefer a true flagging ability off of one of the front lines or a real 5th line. I agree that you can achieve this with the O'shit handles on the back lines, but this is not a good permanent leash attachment point.
Absolutely agree. A true flagging option on the front lines is the best for some. This kite does not have that standard but would be super simple to add. All you would need to do is add a metal ring to a frontline since it already has the mickey mouse ears.
I have found that flagging a frontline is more of a hassel than it is worth. ie it drops the kite in a weird, not ready to launch, manner. And it flags out to much line for you to "real" in quickly. The current flagging on the Epic bar pulls in about 4-5 feet on both frontlines. However in the future an added flag ring would be nice to see uptop on the mickey mouse metal piece WITH a way for the rider to choose their flagging option.
It's only that I'm getting a bit skeptical when I see an SLE kite announced as having all the C-kite characteristics. That's a claim many companies bring forward these days...
I just checked Epic's website and couldn't find a specific label on the kite. I think many riders are just saying it has some c-kite feel. I know my friend (a good cabrinha rider) said it feels more like a C. I have flown C's and this is the bridled kite that has come close to the same feel.
I don't really think it is marketed as a specific type of kite. In fact it looks like Dimitri is unsure of what kind of kite it is still. :D :D :) :) :)
When people come to the beach and tell me: "I heard so many good things about this kite can I try them. What type of kite is it, C kite, Bow kite...?"
My response is: TRY IT AND LET ME KNOW WHAT TYPE OF KITE IT IS.

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:59 am

WOW! I switched my 9m to the "slow" setting for half of my session today and it completely changes the kite. The kite is much more "floaty". Obviously it still turns a bit slower but is still very responsive. It is less twitchy and does not drop into the window as much. It also seems to not race to the edge of the window as fast, making easy planing. For my 9m, I am going to ride it on the slower setting a bit. It does take away some fun but "rounds" out the sharpness of the kite. If you have a screamer give it a try! If you are demoing and find the kite to fast for you, change it to the slow setting.

epickites2010
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island / Holly Beach TX
Favorite Beaches: Holly Beach
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Slingshot for now, but switching to the new 2010 Epic Kites designed and made by Dimitri Maramenides.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby epickites2010 » Sat May 08, 2010 4:34 pm

My Name Is John Doan, and I have been kiteboarding for 2 years on South Padre Island. I ran into Matt Thames with Epic Kites founded by Dimitri Maramenides. I was able to test most of the Epic line and let me tell you current kiters or newbies ( The Screamer kite Is absolutely Amazing ) Where do I start when doing a review. First, the Limited Edition rocked the house when it came to upwind ability, being very stable, lots of boost for load and pop for huge jumps, and massive hang time. I really didn't have any complaints at the end of the session, except I had to give the kite back to Matt which was the hardest part. I mean, I fell in love with the kite, and grew attached, it performed like no other kite I've flown, therefore I am switching from Slingshot to Epic, no questions asked. And I would like to say thanks to Dimitri for making such a super sweet kite, and to all you kiters out there new or experienced I highly suggest that you buy and fly the new Epic kites, you can't go wrong, and won't look back. Happy Kiting. John

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Sat May 08, 2010 4:48 pm

definitely agree that these kites haul upwind. Lately I have been doing upwinders. I have gone a mile upwind on a single tack. Which is nuts at our beach. It sits in the perfect spot to scream upwind, is super fast, and has a ton of power. Making it the best kite I have demoed for rocketing upwind.

Hugoloco
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lac-St-Jean, Québec, Trois-Rivières.
Style: Airtime
Gear: Ozone
Zeeko
RSC
Ion
Brand Affiliation: Complicated

Postby Hugoloco » Sun May 09, 2010 3:38 am

Grantman, how is you doing?
I have not buy my Renegade yet cause I have worked something like 140 hours in 2 last weeks...No time for ordering a new kite... not even for riding mine. But next week yeahhhh :D :D

Here I have a question for U :
You say:
«I have flown, Liquid Force Sessions, Liquid Force Havocs (2010), Liquid Force Envy, Best Kahoona 2010, Best Nemesis NXG, Best Waroo, Caution Zombie 2010, GK Sonic 2010, Nobile 555 2010, Liquid Force Menace, Naish Cult, Epic Screamer, and the Epic Renegade.»

Myself : riding Waroo 13 M 2010 + Waroo 7 M 2008.
Need a 9 M right now & don't have any time to loose :!:
Just need to know wich one (from Screamer & Renegade) will please me better?
Must say I ride choppy & wavy waters.
So I would like your opinion since you say you've riden some Waroo's...
I'm used to Delta shape & don't want a drastic change.
Don't wanna re-learn...
Any comparing points?

Return to “Reviews”