Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

F-One Bandit III review

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Morten W
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sydvestpynten / Amager Strandpark (DK)
Gear: Cabrinha and F-one kites / Naish and Spleene boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: F-One Bandit III review

Postby Morten W » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:50 pm

J-GAR wrote:I ride the Bandit III for freestyle and waves and have the 7,9,11 quiver. I am 180lbs and this covers me from about 14mph to over 30mph. The 15 is probably too big for you, especially in waves. For your size, I would probably go 8, 10, 13. I know another guy who is probably over 240lbs and he rides a 9,13 quiver.
With the supposedly large wind spectre of B3 (good low end and good high end) I was thinking of a wider spread in the sizes than usual (8,11,15 instead of my usual 9,11,13-freestyle setup). The large wind spectre of the B3 is a main reason to change brand, so I can get a smaller wave kite and a larger freestyle/lightwind kite without having to buy 4 kites - any thoughts on that?

J-GAR
Medium Poster

Postby J-GAR » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:12 pm

The B3 does definitely have good low end and high end (range), but I personally like to ride my kites near the sweet spot as much as possible. It is nice to have the range depending on the type of riding you want to do, what board you are using, and if the conditions change while you are out or if you have already rigged. My favorite size is the 9m and was thinking for you weighing more than than me, the 10m would be a great size. The 15m is a large kite and I don't think it gets you that much more lowend than a 13m, maybe 1 knot. I would rather have the 13m which is faster and you can move it to generate more power and just use a bigger board or surfboard.

It also depends on the typical conditions where you ride. If you get a lot of light wind (low teens), then maybe go for the 8,11, 15m. The 13m is still fun to ride in the waves and turns quick enough to ride waves effectively.

The B3's are super stable and don't backstall. They turn very fast also if you want them to which is nice in the waves. They are excellent unhooked.

For me I ride the the kites in the following condtions (due to their great range, they can be ridden in wind outside these ranges, but this is my favorite conditions for each size):
7m from ~22mph to over 30mph
9m from ~18mph to ~25mph
11m from ~13-14mph to ~20mph

Hope this helps.

John

unaitxi
Rare Poster

Postby unaitxi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 pm

Dear Everyone,

After Oqion's review and others replies, I am pretty sure of purchasing a B3.
But, I have still some questions:
- Considering my weight (90kg), wind conditions (10-20knots) and board (TT140x40), don't you think it would be better a 13m B3 than a 11m one?
- Does the 13m B3 have similar speed than 11m. Do you really feel it is much slower?
- Finally, I have a Crossbow 11m 2010 and I love its bar. I would like to know if anybody knows if the Powerdrive IDS 2010 works correctly with the B3. Would it be risky to use it in the B3?

Thank you

Unai

BigBafana
Medium Poster

Postby BigBafana » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Hey Unai, I'm around 87kg and ride a 13m B3 and board (TT139x36) and share a 9m B3 with my girlfriend. I personally wouldn't recommend a 11m for you. The 13m is perfect. Yes its slower than a 9m but I don't expect to notice much of a speed difference between a 13m and 11m. But unfortunately I haven't tried a 11m yet.

unaitxi
Rare Poster

Postby unaitxi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi Bigbafana. From how many knots you begin going upwind in the 13m and your TT?

Thank you

Unai

BigBafana
Medium Poster

Postby BigBafana » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:06 pm

I'm guessing from about 11-12 knots

unaitxi
Rare Poster

Postby unaitxi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:03 pm

Hey Bigbafana or Oqion,

Do you know if the cab Xbow 2010 bar is suitable for the Bandit?

Thank you

Unai

BigBafana
Medium Poster

Postby BigBafana » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Sorry, I've only used the original bar with my kites. I would suggest you contact your local kiteshop which sells f-one gear and ask them the same question as they should know all about the functional restrictions and possibilities.

Don't take my advice but I know that the B3 bar has all four lines at equal lengths. So if your other bar has them to it should work, but please ask your local sales rep first or any f-one dealer etc.

Return to “Reviews”