Costco Sevylor Samoa Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
grantman54
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Costco Sevylor Samoa Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board

Postby grantman54 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:36 pm

Well I bought this simply because I have a two door coupe and have no room for a normal SUP. Plus it was only 375$ complete from Costco. Its a 10' board with quite a bit of rocker.

Construction:
The board is made out materials that normally would be seen on a high end inflatable toy. Its actually quite heavy. The seams aren't perfect but from 3 ft away it looks pretty normal. The fins are crap. Just cheap plastic. However, if you had fiberglass it would be easy to reinforce them and make them longer. The paddle it comes with is ok quality. Has some flex, not good. And is a tad short. But hey its a paddle and works. It comes with a huge bag that is nice and a pump. The pump is just like a kite pump but doesn't put out as much air so I have been using my regular pump. It also comes with a little pressure gauge that is nice. The deck pad is surprisingly nice and moderately comfy and the board has tie downs on the nose that I am using for a fishing rig.

Performance:
Ok, this thing isn't incredible compared to a normal SUP. BUT if this is your only option or its that extra board for traveling then it is AMAZING! I have ridden it on 4 mile trips in the ocean and in 3ft waves and it is quite fun. The water comes right up to the edge so my toes are always wet; I weigh 180lbs which is the max size person I would recommend using it. So that isn't ideal. On the waves it actually is decent. Not the greatest because it can be a bit hard to turn because of the smaller fins. Also the smaller fins will not anchor the back end as much. All in all, it gets you on the waves and on the water. You will forget you are on an inflatable board quickly.

Value:
Everyone that sees me pumping it up gives me funny looks. But when they actually see it 100% inflated they are impressed. I would only purchase this if it comes back online at Costco (I think I bought the last one). The reason being is the return policy there is incredible. I used to work there and no that if this thing pops in 2 years they will return it. I love having an inflatable board that I leave in my car. I have had two spontaneous sessions on it.

Here is the website link http://www.sevylor.com/Samoatrade-Stand ... 29C43.aspx

If anyone is really interested I can shoot video and more pics of it.

These are pics from a recent trip not inteded for a review but you can kinda see the board and how well it floats.
Attachments
GOPR0602.JPG
GOPR0331.JPG
GOPR0385.JPG
GOPR0945.JPG

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Costco Sevylor Samoa Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board

Postby grantman54 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:27 pm

Found it on Costco's site with more peoples reviews. But it says its no longer for sale.
http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11507275/reviews.htm

dirkydiggler
Medium Poster

Re: Costco Sevylor Samoa Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board

Postby dirkydiggler » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:33 pm

I got sucked into one these. I was surprised to see this at Costco when doing the monthly visit. For the price you can't go wrong. The next closest SUP is around $800 without a paddle. I have had a few sessions on it when the wind was dead. First timer on a SUP and enjoyed it. It is very nice to just throw it in the car with the kite gear. No worries about having a 12 ft board on the car. I bought it so I can travel and not have to find rental gear. Overall I would recommend it, especially if you get the $400 price from Costco. Paddle needs to be about a ft longer for anyone 6ft. though.
Digg

Return to “Reviews”