Crazy Fly Kites

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Tio
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Crazy Fly Kites

Postby Tio » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:34 pm

A couple of weeks ago a guy posted a very bad experience with the 2010 Trix Kite, launched by Crazy Fly as a first experience with kites after years of expertise with boards.
This year on their website they promote the new three kites.
Sculp, Moo Wii and Slash. I would apretiate if any one could share a review on the kites, just overall performance, and quality construction?
Thanks.
Tio

Tomas-s
Rare Poster
Gear: FLEXIFOIL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Crazy Fly Kites

Postby Tomas-s » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Tio
Medium Poster

Postby Tio » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:32 pm

Thank you! Good review.
Tio.

raimonds
Rare Poster
Style: Wakestyle

Postby raimonds » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:15 am

Just got my new 7m Slash. here is more pictures -
http://www.kitecomrades.com/comrades/ra ... beedb8963/
First impression is really good! :thumb:

yehonatan_naim
Rare Poster

Postby yehonatan_naim » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi I also had a short session on the Slash11 and the Sculp9

I must say that from building quality those kites are really at top level.
CrazyFly also improved the bar, the swivel is close to the rider and the lines connection to the swivel was improved too.
there are new lines in the bar which look very High Quality lines.

I ride only 40 minutes on the slash11 and the sculp9, wind condition was 16-18 Knots
I didn't try them a lot since the guys on the beach didn't release the kites to me. (by the way i got very positive feedback from the guys who tried the kites)

but from first impression I can say that those kites are very friendly and forgiven,it took zero time to get used to them.
they generate exactly the amount of power expect from those size of kite.

stability of both kites was amazing.
turning ability is very good both kite react immediately for input from the bar with no delay.(for the C kite this pretty obvious)

I'm waiting for more windy days to check them more, but unfortunately its seems that we going to have no wind for the next 2 weeks

:evil: :evil: :evil:

AmericanRonin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Hampshire Seacoast
Favorite Beaches: Silver Sands, Barbados. Cabarete. Corpus Christi.
Style: Wave Rider
Gear: 6' Crazyfly Strapless, BWS TDZ

Postby AmericanRonin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:02 pm

So has anyone gotten any more experience with these kites? I shot the guys at CrazyFly an e-mail asking about what the wind ranges for each kite was because I couldn't find anything about it on their web site. Jozef Jr. got back to me with an Excel spreadsheet that had the Slash's wind range as the following:

5m (30-45 kts)
7m (20-40 kts)
9m (16-35 kts)
11m (12-30 kts)
13 (10-25 kts).

While I appreciated his speedy reply, something about this just strikes me as way too hard to believe. I mean, come on: a C-kite with a twenty-knot wind range? I understand there's always a difference in what a manufacturer says it can do and what a rider can make it do, but this seems pretty hard to swallow. I've got Wainman kites at the moment, which are pretty well known for having a decent wind range. My twelve-meter falls out of the sky quite a bit on me if it doesn't have have at least a steady sixteen knots to keep it up there. I have a really hard time believing this nine-meter c-shape can stay up there in sixteen and be used in as much as thirty-five; but then again I don't know. I haven't seen for myself.

Has anybody on here seen for themselves? What's a realistic wind range to expect?

reinis
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: CF, TK, OR, FS, o`neill

Postby reinis » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:06 am

AmericanRonin wrote: I mean, come on: a C-kite with a twenty-knot wind range?

Has anybody on here seen for themselves? What's a realistic wind range to expect?
i own a slash 13m2 for 8 months now and have ridden it in a myriad of different conditions. 25 knots - definately. i would say it is comfortable for unhooked tricks up to 20-22knots, after that it`s just a question of edging technique and water conditions (choppy water - less edging possible).

i would rather doubt the 10 knots. i would say 12... i weigh 85kg and ride a 134*41 CF pro tour board.

yehonatan_naim
Rare Poster

Postby yehonatan_naim » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi,
I have a lot of experience with CrazyFly kites, more with the sculp less with the slash.
Can you define what is realistic wind range ? it is a bit problematic to define it, as well taking the water condition into account can change the low end by2-3 Knots.

I define it as:
low range for start going upwind with your regular TT.
high range again with you regular TT which the kite is still can be under good control and don’t loose his steering abilities.
Sweep spot as good wind for getting nice boost

from my experience (78Kg) with the Sculp sizes 11 and 9 the wind range are:
9 --> 15-35 ; sweet spot for 9 is about 25-30 (if you ask me the 9 can get more then 35 but I didn’t been there)
11 --> 13 – 30 sweet spot for the 11 is about 18-23

As for the slash from my experience the 11M low end and its more 14K-15K.
As for other ranges of the slash I have not enough experience sorry.

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:47 pm

We had demo/test day in Grado/Italy yesterday and was able to test Slash 9m, Sculp 11m & MooWii 13m in the same day.

Now, they behave exactly how it is written on CF web and they fits like it is stated.

Slash - Freestyle
Sculp - Allround
MooWii - Freeride

+ Build quality is like their boards, really good.
+ They're all stable, eats gusts really well
+ Slash is fast with crazy loops
+ Sculp was true allrounder with lofty jumps, good top end for deltish styled kite (better than other delta models)
+ MooWii with good LW power and steady predictable behaviour
+ Linear power/depower
+ Working out of the box

Loved all 3! :thumb:
Tio wrote:A couple of weeks ago a guy posted a very bad experience with the 2010 Trix Kite, launched by Crazy Fly as a first experience with kites after years of expertise with boards.
This year on their website they promote the new three kites.
Sculp, Moo Wii and Slash. I would apretiate if any one could share a review on the kites, just overall performance, and quality construction?
Thanks.
Tio

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi,

1st hand experence for both CF & Wainman.

Yesterday we had winds starting from 10kts up to 25kts on the end of day. I've flown Slash 9m with a skim under 16kts easily so I'd say that these numbers are a bit on the safe side at least for 9m kite, but sweet spot was starting around 20kts and above for 80kg guy (me :)). Windrange of Slash kite amazed me too! In 25kts has all depower left.

If you'd compare CF Sculp 11 & Wainman 12 - despite they falls under delta type of kite there are some differences - Sculp with more linear power delivery (better feedback from the kite) was the most important for me for instance.
AmericanRonin wrote:So has anyone gotten any more experience with these kites? I shot the guys at CrazyFly an e-mail asking about what the wind ranges for each kite was because I couldn't find anything about it on their web site. Jozef Jr. got back to me with an Excel spreadsheet that had the Slash's wind range as the following:

5m (30-45 kts)
7m (20-40 kts)
9m (16-35 kts)
11m (12-30 kts)
13 (10-25 kts).

While I appreciated his speedy reply, something about this just strikes me as way too hard to believe. I mean, come on: a C-kite with a twenty-knot wind range? I understand there's always a difference in what a manufacturer says it can do and what a rider can make it do, but this seems pretty hard to swallow. I've got Wainman kites at the moment, which are pretty well known for having a decent wind range. My twelve-meter falls out of the sky quite a bit on me if it doesn't have have at least a steady sixteen knots to keep it up there. I have a really hard time believing this nine-meter c-shape can stay up there in sixteen and be used in as much as thirty-five; but then again I don't know. I haven't seen for myself.

Return to “Reviews”