Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
kitester
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Airush 2011

Postby kitester » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Over the past three weeks we have had the chance to try out some of the new line offered by Airush. We have not seen many of these in this neck of the woods for several years but that might change soon. Riders in other parts of the country, especially Hawaii, may be accustom to the the Airush name but there they are a rare site. Years ago I flew Airush Lifts. I learned to jump on them, throw kite loops and have yet to jump as high on anything since. As Airush users began to diminish in this area names like Cabrinha and Best were seen more and more on our beaches. But, as manufactures have improved their kites it has become harder and harder for any one brand to stand out in performance, quality or in any other category. However, Airush may have hit the mark with at least two of their new performers.

The first kite I had a chance to try was the 12meter Varial. If I had to some it up I would say it does everything well and would be a good choice for a first kite. Its performance is good across the board but it doesnt stand out in any one aspect or another. Build quality, stability, speed and turning are all very nice on the Varial 12.

The next kite I had the chance to try from Airush was the One 12 meter. There is just nothing as easy to set up. I have to say it does look odd to the more seasoned kiter but having only one strut makes the kite light and efficient. The bridals are so simple I had to check to see if something was missing. In the air the One has huge wind range and pushing out on the bar dumps ALL the wind from the sail while the large diameter leading edge keeps the kite back in the wind window and flying. Pull in on the bar hard with the kite at noon and this kite will just elevate you off the ground. We had good winds in the high teens to low twenties and I am about 183 pounds. After I had the chance to try it out in the surf I offered it to one of the local riders that weighs in at around 165. He was reluctant to try it because he thought it would just be too much for his weight. Ten minutes later he was surfing waves, screaming up wind, and throwing forward rolls with kite loops. The One is super stable and turns extremely fast. Wave riding is not my best thing but kite surfers will like the way the One can hang out without pulling while they ride the face. Jumping the One is fun because you have great hang time. But did I mention that pushing the bar dumps all the wind? This kite can set you down as quickly as you want so spot your landings carefully. Later the same day another rider was throwing S-bends and other unhooked tricks so the kite seems to perform well for wake style riding too. As a trainer I will be looking at the One in the 15meter size. Simplicity and ease in rigging should make this a great kite for the student kiter and light winds.

The third kite I had the chance to ride was the Lithium. This kite is clearly the jumper of the family. Its super fast speed through the window means that when you pull the trigger you will find yourself floating consistently higher. At the same time the Lithium was very stable and had surprising pull when it was allowed to run. In winds less that twelve mph I found that I could stay up wind in a following current if I worked the Lithium and was careful not to over sheet it. Once speed was built it locked in and continued to pull. That is surly a comment on the trend of smaller kites delivering greater performance. A few years ago many 180 to 200 pound guys were flying 17meter kites on those light wind days. At 180+ pounds I use a 145X44 Crazyfly twintip. In a few years we may all see 10meter kites as the large kite in the quiver.

All these kites were tested in winds ranging from 3 or 4 mph (on the beach) up to the high twenties by about 15 or 20 riders. Water conditions ranged from butter to head high surf. All of them had comments ranging from good to great. Airush could be the new sheriff in town; again.

Major props to Extreme kites in St. Augustine, Fl. and Ariush kites. Thanks guys!

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Re: Airush 2011

Postby droffats » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:56 pm

A little video of the Airush Varial and Lithium 2011.

(I still can't figure out how to post the video directly....)

- Droffats

http://vimeo.com/20086858

kochease
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Jones Beach
Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cayman Islands
Jones Beach, Or
Manzanita, Or
Maui
Style: Freestyle
Gear: F-One, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop Owner and PASA kiteboard instructor

Postby kochease » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:55 am

I taught most of my lessons last season of the Airush Lithium. Great student kites because of the massive depower, looking into the Airush ONE kite myself for teaching on this summer in light winds. I still ride the Litiums rotating them in and out with my Bandit's and Epic renegades. Love all 3 kites and hard to decide which one I love more. I use the litium for gusty winter conditions and works amazing, is also my big air kite. I'm very happy with them and can't wait to get the new 3 strut 2011 Lithium, bet it is going to be alot better. My Bandit is my unhooked and trick kite, stable and fast, loops like the mad hatter!! My Epic Renegade I love in the surf with short lines strapless, doesn't get any better than that....

Having an addiction to kiteboarding sure can get expensive, having different quivers for different riding conditions. I thank the ex-wife for bailing or I never could afford my habit :lol: :naughty:

http://www.air-pirate.com
2011 Epic renegade, 2011 Epic screamer, F-one Bandit 4, Airush
http://www.air-pirate.com/products/epic-renegade
http://www.air-pirate.com/product/2011-f-one-bandit-4

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:41 pm

In the video I linked, the Lithium is a 2011 and it is a 4 strut kite...

- Droffats

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Schmidy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:49 am

Heyo Guys,

The 2011 Lithium is a 4 strut while the 2011 Lithium LW is a 3 strut with the goal of reducing weight in the structure to increase lightwind performance. Definitely try it out if you haven't had the chance.
Attachments
LithiumLW-Tybo.jpg
Riding-Tybo.jpg

kochease
Medium Poster
Jones Beach
Oregon Coast
Jones Beach, Or
Manzanita, Or
Maui

Postby kochease » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Schmidy...What kind of winds can you go out in on your 13lw?? How low can the wind be for it to relaunch and you to ride??

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumarcil » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:13 pm

kochease wrote:Schmidy...What kind of winds can you go out in on your 13lw?? How low can the wind be for it to relaunch and you to ride??

With last year Lithium 13LW I was able to go out (upwind) in 7 knots on a sector 60. With a twin tip like the plasma I would say +- 8 knots. In these kind of winds don't drop it if you don't touch the bottom :-)

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Schmidy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:23 am

kochease wrote:Schmidy...What kind of winds can you go out in on your 13lw?? How low can the wind be for it to relaunch and you to ride??

Hey Kochease,

I am 75 kg and run a sector 60 with the 13...it is more than enough for 7 knots just like Jurmarcil said. I would suggest going to the 15m Lithium LW if you are a bigger boy in the 80+ kg. It pulls like a train. Airush One 15m is also awesome for lightwind, had the kite in the air at 5 knots and it just floats like a balloon cause its so light (3.2kg).

I would also consider the Airush Sector since it really makes a big difference what is under your feet just as much as whats in the air to get the most out of the windless days. Relaunching is subjective based on your skill/technique and if you have enough resistance against the kite to keep your lines tensioned. The kite is designed for lightwind relaunching in mind, I can get it out of the water at 5-6 knots

note: I am affiliated with Airush but there are unbiased riders on KF who can comment on these kites.

kochease
Medium Poster
Jones Beach
Oregon Coast
Jones Beach, Or
Manzanita, Or
Maui

Postby kochease » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:16 am

Schmidy: am 75 kg and run a sector 60 with the 13...it is more than enough for 7 knots just like Jurmarcil said. I would suggest going to the 15m Lithium LW if you are a bigger boy in the 80+ kg. It pulls like a train. Airush One 15m is also awesome for lightwind, had the kite in the air at 5 knots and it just floats like a balloon cause its so light (3.2kg).

I would also consider the Airush Sector since it really makes a big difference what is under your feet just as much as whats in the air to get the most out of the windless days. Relaunching is subjective based on your skill/technique and if you have enough resistance against the kite to keep your lines tensioned. The kite is designed for lightwind relaunching in mind, I can get it out of the water at 5-6 knots
Thanks for the info. I don't mind an airush affiliate review. I always give an honest opinion on the gear I sell affiliated or not with the brands I sell. I use the airush DNA in my school but stopped at 12m. Lost alot of days teaching to winds of 8-11 knots so this year I'm getting a light wind kite. For light wind the lessons would be more of in shallow water learning to sheet the bar and steer, body drag ect... Not so much board time. The students skills wouldn't be good enough to get the kite back in the air without their feet on the ground since my area has a 3-6 knot current and paddling out to rescue students get old really fast!! :angryfire:

I was debating the 15 LW and the 15 ONE. really interested in the ONE kite but having a hard time finding anyone who has expierence on it. I got to Demo the new 13lw lithium at a trade show on a sector 60 in 8-10 knots and flew great, relaunch was difficult in 9 knots. Not much better than my 12m DNA which I can get up in deep water at around 11 knots. So my preference has been leaning toward the ONE kite but I'm gun shy without good opinions of its low wind relaunchability. Plus the ONE looks like it can turn better than the LW's. Not so park and ride.

Any info you can give me would be great! The Epic Infinity has my attention aslo but the cost is a huge deterant.

kite252
Medium Poster

Postby kite252 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:27 pm

I've ridden the 13m in some seriously light winds too, and it is pretty amazing. I rode it one day in straight offshore just wind, probably about 3-10 knots, and couldn't believe how stable it was in such crappy wind. Not much experience on the One, only ridden the 9m, so I cannot say much about its light wind ability, but the lithium LW seem to be more of a park and ride kite, where the one seems to pull a bit more thru the turns. but again im comparing a 9m to a 13m....

Return to “Reviews”