jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Dakine Storm Seat Harness

Postby jkrug » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:32 pm

Just a quick review on this harness, as let's face it, harness reviews ain't very interesting. the only reason i'm writing about this is that i never heard of it till shopping around to replace my very old and falling apart Dakine Fusion, and can only assume others may not have either.

When I tried on a newer Fusion (probably a 2010 model) I felt so confined. This seat harness is just too bulky for me now. I'm sure it would loosen up some after a while, but I had to believe there were better options out there, and I have to use a seat harness for back problems.

Searching the net, I ran into the Storm and it was described as a less intrusive harness than the Fusion. I ordered one, and think it's awesome. It is simple, non-confining, and immediately comfortable. And no pinching in 'sensitive areas'.

If you're looking for a seat harness, and don't want to feel like you're kiting in a lower body cast, I'd recommend the Storm completely. I wonder why the Fusion remains Dakine's primary seat harness when this one seems superior, at least to me.

ChrisNZ
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Karikari
Gear: North F1 crazyfly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dakine Storm Seat Harness

Postby ChrisNZ » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:21 pm

:cry:
I bought two storm kiteboarding harnesses a few years ago as I wanted a full set of gear at home and one where I work - I only occasionally get to kite in NZ and did not want to miss out because my gear was in the wrong place. I only started really using one of these harnesses on a daily basis during a 6 week visit to New Caledonia recently. Unfortunately after a couple of weeks use it has started falling apart. I am surprised to see that the harness straps do not continue through the back off the harness and I believe this is the root of the problem. I really think that this is badly designed and should be replaced even though it is well outside of the 2 year extended warrenty period. Please see the photos attached and you can also see that the rest of the harness is still in very good condition as has not had much use. I have many other Dakine products and they are all very good.
Attachments
20171205_131721.jpg

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:06 pm

ChrisNZ wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:21 pm
:cry:
I bought two storm kiteboarding harnesses a few years ago as I wanted a full set of gear at home and one where I work - I only occasionally get to kite in NZ and did not want to miss out because my gear was in the wrong place. I only started really using one of these harnesses on a daily basis during a 6 week visit to New Caledonia recently. Unfortunately after a couple of weeks use it has started falling apart. I am surprised to see that the harness straps do not continue through the back off the harness and I believe this is the root of the problem. I really think that this is badly designed and should be replaced even though it is well outside of the 2 year extended warrenty period. Please see the photos attached and you can also see that the rest of the harness is still in very good condition as has not had much use. I have many other Dakine products and they are all very good.
Looks pretty faded, did it spend a lot of time in the sun?

william_rx7
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby william_rx7 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:47 pm

I have that same harness, been riding it since 2006, summer and winter snow kiting, and several season land boarding. It's been pretty solid for me, even if it's more than a little faded.

Return to “Reviews”