Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

which freeride board for weak knees / antivibration?

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: which freeride board for soft landings / weak knees?

Postby mr moon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:02 am

CEPIDIX wrote:Hi there for the last two years i has riding a Nobile 555 137 from 2008 and i thought it was the most comfortable boar it existed but now i tried de Nobile 2HD and man it's out of this perfect its so soft to ride in choppy water seems that you are riding in perfect flat water and the landings wow try it
Yep Nobile has got a great reputation and the 2HD looks really sweet... it might be worth trying it

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:34 pm

A board good for the knees? that's a Mako.
Soft landings is not it's best points (maybe the 2011 got more flex and is better for soft landings)
I find the North X-ride also good for the knees and got decent flex for softer landings.

But I also jump with my waveboard and I'll make sure I got soft landings... wow with the right kite handling you got soft landings aswell...

mr moon
Frequent Poster

Postby mr moon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 pm

Has anyone in the 'trashed knees gang' :cool2: tried the Jimmy Lewis Model 3 out of curiosity?

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:11 am

@mr moon, no but I hear really great things. I was goign to mention that in my earlier post and then deleted it. I'd be interested in knowing too.
With Model 3's you can usually find a good one on Craigslist or ebay if you have patience....they have not changed much in the last few years.

mr moon
Frequent Poster

Re: which freeride board for weak knees / antivibration?

Postby mr moon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:05 pm

...quite keen in Nobile 2HD, Nobile T5 or Wainman Blunt...
Feedback please! :o

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:01 am

Favorite so far is the 2010 NHP 131 X 40 or 134 X 42 depending on your size :-)

indosafe
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Almanarre
Style: Old school
Gear: Naish Torch
Been thanked: 0

Postby indosafe » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:54 pm

F-One SK 8 :thumb:

lion
Rare Poster

Postby lion » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:57 pm

Howdy. Had some kite related knee issues a few years back which I eventually traced to using a twintip. The main problem with a twintip is that your back leg, which has the most pressure on it, has the foot pointing not in a straight line with your leg as it should be, rather it is 'duck'. This lack of alignment was causing my knees to ache & feel dodgy bigtime after kiting.

I did some research on this forum at the time and there were some great older articles with lots of people having the same issues & even some docs/physios etcs adding comments.

They were all recommending switching to a directional/surfboard as your back leg is then aligned correctly. I did this (ended up with a naish custom surf 4'10 - nice & small) & had an immediate improvement on the knees - I've not had any issues beyond a very light aching when it's heavy chop. I really enjoy the board - it's very nice for jumping so I don't feel I've lost anything in the switch.
This was a lifesaver as I was almost at the point of considering quitting kiting

So for those of you out there with knee issues, have a think about your footstrap angles (the more duck, the worse the alignment issues) & maybe switching to a surfboard - there's plenty to choose from these days...

Cheers and happy kiting

mr moon
Frequent Poster

Postby mr moon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:25 am

Thanks everyone for your great input on this post. In the end I've bought a Wainman Blunt 135 and I've already tested it in 25knots on a 9mt for around 3 hours and the following day in around 15kn on a BiG Mama for another 2 and half hours... Normally I'd be in pain on my right hand trashed knee, now absolutely NO PAIN!!!

This board rocks, is sooooo smooth that you feel like flying on the water! it's lightweight, great for control in the air, and the landings? You don't even feel like landing, in fact it's lie landing on fresh powder when you go back country snowboarding!!!

The shape is so right that you don't get any splashes around, it's a real dream board. The pads are super soft and shock absorbing, it's like kiting with suspensions.

The quite pronounced rocker makes it real fun in carving without affecting the great pop...

Two of my friends borrowed it to try it and one of them has already placed an order!

Well done Wainman.
lion wrote:Howdy. Had some kite related knee issues a few years back which I eventually traced to using a twintip. The main problem with a twintip is that your back leg, which has the most pressure on it, has the foot pointing not in a straight line with your leg as it should be, rather it is 'duck'. This lack of alignment was causing my knees to ache & feel dodgy bigtime after kiting.

I did some research on this forum at the time and there were some great older articles with lots of people having the same issues & even some docs/physios etcs adding comments.

They were all recommending switching to a directional/surfboard as your back leg is then aligned correctly. I did this (ended up with a naish custom surf 4'10 - nice & small) & had an immediate improvement on the knees - I've not had any issues beyond a very light aching when it's heavy chop. I really enjoy the board - it's very nice for jumping so I don't feel I've lost anything in the switch.
This was a lifesaver as I was almost at the point of considering quitting kiting

So for those of you out there with knee issues, have a think about your footstrap angles (the more duck, the worse the alignment issues) & maybe switching to a surfboard - there's plenty to choose from these days...

Cheers and happy kiting
You made a good point and I can agree to a certain extent. The stance is important and yes can affect the knee with the foot torsion.
What I find very trying on my knees are the vibrations too, especially on choppy waters, together with landings etc..

I too have moved for this reason to surfboards, got a 6'2" which is my allround board. I ride mainly strapless as I do get some benefits from it on my knees: the freedom of movement and the general loose feel of the feet and knees not forced to the board by the straps, but the stiffness of the epoxy together with the poor absorption of the thin pad, that alone can really hurt my knee.

I like jumping, so I end up putting straps on the board and going for it when you get the irresistible kickers, but hey that ride with straps and hard landings really cost me days to recover afterwards.

So I've now decided to get myself a super soft and absorbing tt and enjoying airs and chop with it. I wish I did it earlier!

As mentioned above, I went out 3 days on a row, on 12mt the first day for 2 hours, then on a 9mt the second day for 3 hours on over 25kn and lastly on a 15mt for 2 hours, and I don't take breaks when I kite! Now on normal conditions I'd be dead... While I'm here writing at 1:20am without even feeling anything on my knees! Legs are a little tired of course, but my knee is soooo good.

This is to say that it all depends from what you do, how you ride and where...

Thanks again to you all.

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:02 pm

Here's clear solution for what u need !
soft board and best feet pad with straps
Link here = http://www.aboards.eu/public/index.php? ... s:ANATOMIC
:thumb:

Return to “Reviews”