Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Rotating Pad & Strap tested and review

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:22 pm

henningsurf wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:I did, and waiting for your reply. Thanks
Once you have had a few decent sessions with the rotating strap, it would be nice to hear about your experience with it. :) Thanks, have fun.
I ordered two to be used for both front and rear straps for my Rush Randle hydrofoil. The front one was a perfect fit, the rear however was a tight fit. I replaced the snowboard bindings that came with the board because the board was actually made for waterskiing behind a boat. Not very practical for kitesurfing. I am so glad I made the switch. It made water starting so much easier. After 3 sessions I was able to remove the rear home made poorman's strap and rely on the front strap only. If the aluminum foil wasn't so heavy, I would have tried strapless. I need the front strap to hold the board in position for water starting until I get a lighter carbon foil.
Attachments
image.jpg

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:00 am

Cool board! I've always wanted to try a foiling board.

I'm glad you tried the rotating strap. I've had mine on my Spleene Zone for several years now and still love it, never had any problems with it after 100's of hours. It really allows a comfortable stance when you square up or "duck" your feet - no pinching of the feet in the front strap (I just use a normal strap on the rear as well).

I think a lot of people would be surprised at how nice it is if they tried it.

:thumb:

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:11 am

The rotating strap
Music by Samingad (Wild Fire)

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/63986600[/vimeo]

https://vimeo.com/63986600

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:25 am

ahhh man...i want to try one of those foil boards!
whats the learning curve like?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:41 pm

I had the board for 5 months, and was so afraid of using it. I ordered the rotating plates to replace the snowboard boots. A very wise move. I started using the board two weeks ago. The board was originally designed for air chair type ski behind boats. It is not very good for kiteboarding. The aluminum part is very heavy, there is no way I can hold it up without the straps in the water. Once going, I tried the "slowly let it rise by itself" approach. it worked very well until it lift off the water, then all hell broke loose. I would compare it to a cowboy riding a bronco. It took me three sessions to get the hang of it. I then removed the rear strap and was able to ride smoothly with pro active pumping with the knee to keep the horse from bucking up and down. I find it to be like the raceboard when waterstarting. I need to apply the kite force gradually due to the large under water fins. Once under way, I need to ride it like a surfboard with a lots of edging to keep it from going too fast. Once the kite catch the apparent wind, the foil tend to buck up and down too much. I believe it is due to the short fuselage only two foot/60cm. The short fuselage made it easier to turn and do back rolls on the Air Chair, but makes it very unstable at speed. I think the upwind angle is higher than my Naish Venturi RaceBoard. However I can not hold the foilboard when it reach speed. I need to get a newer carbon foil to hold the speed and go strapless. For the $500 I paid for the Foilboard, it was a very good learning investment.

Return to “Reviews”