-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Switch Kites: are they any good?

Postby Telekiter » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:53 am

Sound like you had the same experience as I did on my first ride on my E9. What I found was that the stopper had been set far to low and hence the de-power range on the bar was just about 30 cm :cry: so I had the feeling of kiten with an old c-kite from early 05. Had to edge like mad to control the kite. I did finally just get ridd of the stopper altogether to get something like a "normal" sheeting range, now the kite was completely controlable and nice, realy nice infact.

If you get a chance to try it again, possibly with another bar, let us know how it turns out.

As you has stated you have a Naish Cult and in my experience these kites are possibly the best kites ever made for gusty horrible winds. I did have a Naish 14 m Helix, and boy was that a kite that could handle gusty overpowered riding :o .

I just have to say that the Element 13 and Element 9 are realy good, allround kites but are a bit put down by the bar system (mostly the stopper) that I believe need som work.

/Urban.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:02 pm

The Element appears to be a very nice kite and has the appearance of a RPM/Park. I have never tried these kites but I can say that I am definitely intrigued by them. The price point is a huge factor and that can make all the difference for most people. It is nice to buy two kite for the price of one!

James
www.theglobalartist.com

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jkrug » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:19 pm

i had the same depower problem with the Nitro...just not enough throw in the bar to depower when you need it. i use it on an old Wainman bar now and it's much better. and the bar pressure is less, too. that Switch bar hurt my hands as well after a short time period. the Switch bar just ain't my cup of tea.

flyingdutchman1978
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St. Catharines
Gear: 2010 9M Waroo
2010 13.5M Kahoona V2

Postby flyingdutchman1978 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:24 pm

Demo the Switch kites and see what you think. That's the best thing.

IMO, Switch kites have an excellent build and the inflate valve is great (similar valve to Cabrinha). I fly the Switch Nitros.

The control bar needs some minor improvements and a bit more polish. Other than that Switch is a great brand with excellent customer service and price point.

I've used two other brands besides Switch and each brand has pros/cons. Demo :)

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:30 pm

esg wrote:And the kite felt super jerky. It did not handle gusts well at all in my opinion. You couldn't just sheet-out to deal with the gusts. It just yanked you and you'd have to edge hard and bring your kite up to 11 or 12 to not get blasted downwind.

In my opinion, it just did not have enough depower. Whether it was the kite itself, or the amount of bar-throw on the center lines. You just could not depower enough when you needed it.
Dude I guarantee is the same thing that happened to me. To come find out that the stopper was set half way down, so I only really had half the depower on my Methods, I kept thinking, what the heck are these people talking about great depower, great depower my a$$, and on the switch kites forum, they explained how to work the stopper and ball.

I'd say try it again. they do have great depower. Just like most kite on the market.

One tiny thing to note, and this is really stupid, but to be aware of, is that I'm not sure why or what causes this, but the white fabric get a bit stained if you roll up the kite with the slightest moisture. EVERY SINGLE switch kite I've seen so far has this issue. But so fat, doesn't affect the performance of the fabric.

sledrat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Keho
Gear: Cabrinha switchblade/omega HD/Griffin 08

Postby sledrat » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:31 pm

esg wrote:I got a chance to demo a 7m Element yesterday. Winds were probably 25-35. I'm 210 pounds. So this is typical 7m conditions for me.
And the kite felt super jerky. It did not handle gusts well at all in my opinion. You couldn't just sheet-out to deal with the gusts. It just yanked you and you'd have to edge hard and bring your kite up to 11 or 12 to not get blasted downwind.

In my opinion, it just did not have enough depower. Whether it was the kite itself, or the amount of bar-throw on the center lines. You just could not depower enough when you needed it. For example, landing from big, lit-up jumps. Or doing turns. Bottom-turn type turns and off the lip( top turns). In all these scenerios, if the wind was strong, you couldn't depower enough for a smooth landing or turn. And you'd get totally pulled downind until you edged and brought the kite up.
I'm wondering if the bar throw was set up really powered - when you depowered the bar was the kite anywhere close to luffing? The bar throw distance is adjustable (shortens the depower line length). I don't have any issues with the depowering my elements (have had many different brands/models in the past), and I have the bar throw set a little longer than stock since I have fairly long arms. Pulling the depower trim in all the way with the bar out will get you to wind-edge luffing/stalling with almost no power from the kite. Unless of course the center lines were stretched or the rear lines had been hiked up the leader lines on the adjustment knots.

Since the wind was cranking with the kite that powered it would sit back in the window a fair bit and really pull, perhaps that is what happened bc with your weight and wind you shouldn't be overpowered on that kite size.

esg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 200
Local Beach: Hawaii
Gear: Naish

Postby esg » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:07 pm

Yes, I had the depower rope pulled to the max.

I asked the team-rider who I had borrowed the kite from about the stopper-ball, and was told that it could have maybe been moved up another inch at most(because of the clam-cleat). Which would have made little difference.

I don't know. I'll take it for another spin if I ever get the opportunity and see if it feels any different.

KAWIKA
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for Switch don't get payed by Switch luv the kites & price

Postby KAWIKA » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Basically the Switch bar is one of the only bars that is adjustable for any rider big or small recently I had a girl who wanted to demo my 9 Element but she said the bar was to far away so I told her to land the kite I simply adjusted the regulator for her arm length I think it took 3 min see vid http://youtu.be/ig91OwiLUDE also there is a screw on the white stopper that u can loosen so it moves freely all the way up to the regulator hope this helps :thumb:
Also you can find a lot of informative videos on Switchkites TV on YouTube :thumb:

The reason I Switched is because I work hard for my $$$ I could not justify spending 2K on one kite & bar! With Switch you can spend that & get 2 kites & 1 bar :thumb:

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:18 pm

esg wrote:Yes, I had the depower rope pulled to the max.
I asked the team-rider who I had borrowed the kite from about the stopper-ball, and was told that it could have maybe been moved up another inch at most(because of the clam-cleat). Which would have made little difference.
You can also move the cleat (regulator) if your arm each is long enough. Ask the team-rider if he is using factory set up on back lines pigtails. some of us add a knot closer to the tip to get more direct and "gruntier" feel on the bar.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Just received email from switch introducing element 15.Has anyone flown this size?How does it compare with other kites this size?Been casually looking for a lighter wind kite and wondering if this would work for a 220 lb on a 145x47 board.Biggest kite now is a 12 screamer. Price was similiar to other brands 1-2 years old. Thanks

Return to “Reviews”