Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Switch Kites: are they any good?

Postby rocktor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Seriously considering a 13 m element. I currently have airush DNA 10 m. I am 185 lbs. is it a good kite for a beginner? and also where I am located winds are on the lighter side like 12-15 kts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.

Postby Telekiter » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:30 pm

rocktor wrote:Seriously considering a 13 m element. I currently have airush DNA 10 m. I am 185 lbs. is it a good kite for a beginner? and also where I am located winds are on the lighter side like 12-15 kts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hello. The Element is a very good beginner kite BUT you will not outgrow it either!

For your stated weight and wind strength I would consider the Element 15 instead of the 13. The E15 would possibly top out at at least 20 knots.

However, if you have a specific lightwind board you could get a way with the E13. With a normal TT-board I would definately go for the E15.

/Urban.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:56 am

pj sofine wrote:Just received email from switch introducing element 15.Has anyone flown this size?How does it compare with other kites this size?Been casually looking for a lighter wind kite and wondering if this would work for a 220 lb on a 145x47 board.Biggest kite now is a 12 screamer. Price was similiar to other brands 1-2 years old. Thanks
Hey pj, you should privste message KAWIKA, he owns an E15, check it out

I was actually gona test it this weekend but storm rolled in.
A buddy of mine had a E13, I flew that one, on a crapy day though. But I hated the bar pressure, way too light, I like to feel the kite, and although very quick and turns super fast, I felt the low end sucked, and so did my friend, he sold it and got a 12m Switchblade (2012), but I went with the Methods, so far I'm incredibly happy, I use to ride switchblades, and my brother owns Ions and I like the Ions also, but really like the M.

Contact him, maybe he can answer some of your concerns.

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.

Postby Telekiter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:14 am

pj sofine wrote:Just received email from switch introducing element 15.Has anyone flown this size?How does it compare with other kites this size?Been casually looking for a lighter wind kite and wondering if this would work for a 220 lb on a 145x47 board.Biggest kite now is a 12 screamer. Price was similiar to other brands 1-2 years old. Thanks
Hey there.

At your weight I would def go for a BIG kite, 17m,18m something. I´m at 200 lb (+90 kg) and have the Blade Fat Lady as my big kite and it is a realy nice kite.

Switch kites have the 16m Nitro Race as there biggest kite and now as the new Nitro V2 is soon to be realesed (no change in sizes) the V1 is on sale (buy two and get the third for free). If your not picky about bar preassure this could be an interesting option.

Regardless of the above I believe that you should keep the Screamer 12 as a complement to a big kite.

/Urban.

screwfootsc
Medium Poster
Style: strapless

Postby screwfootsc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:02 pm

:bye:
Last edited by screwfootsc on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:47 pm

I like them a lot

I have been flying the 9m and 13m Elements for almost a year now. I use the 13m most and I ride 100% of the time on a boots board.

Loon
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake, Michigan
Favorite Beaches: Icarai/Isle do Guajaru/Cumbuco Brazil, Los Barriles BCS
Style: All of it.
Gear: Waiman 7, 9, 12 and Epic Screamer 14

Epic Spartan 129, F-One Trax 134, Waiman Blunt 137 W

Postby Loon » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Hey, I'm a new Switch Team Rider in the Detroit Metro area. I have a 12m Method to demo and 15m Element is currently in transit.

I'll be in the Silver Lake area of western Michigan this weekend if anybody wants to demo one and make up their own mind.

Mike... feel free to pm me if interested

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:41 pm

pj sofine wrote:At your weight I would def go for a BIG kite, 17m,18m something. I´m at 200 lb (+90 kg) and have the Blade Fat Lady as my big kite and it is a realy nice kite./Urban.
[/quote]
Even heavier riders don't need to go with huge kites at 210 I used a 16m switchblade, now @ 200 I use a 12m Method, in the same windrange of my Switchblade with either my 6'0" Wam or my 138 Hadlow TT, granted is a little more work, just gotta know how to work the kite. But the speed of the smaller kites, to create apparent wind, make up for it. IMO

Test the kites before you buy, and if not, wait a bit for the Nitro V2 coming out soon, and if you wan tot save some ca$h get the V1's, I believe I read on another thread, the last few are being discounted.

wytcap
Medium Poster

Postby wytcap » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:55 pm

I rode The Nitros last year, good kite, but this year I am on The element,
My 11m is my all time favorite, it really does everything great, for me, my buddy tried it yesterday and was mad he spent The season on another brand

Speedkillz
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mokuleia, Kailua
Style: Freeride, Wave
Gear: Switch Element 13m, Switch Element 9m

Postby Speedkillz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:24 pm

I have a Switch Element 13m and the 9m. I weigh 250 pounds and stand 6'3" tall. I am a pretty new rider, so I really like the Element for its stability and predictability. I use the 13m almost all of the time and I ride a 144cm Cabrinha Spectrum twin-tip. Anything above 12 knots and I am riding upwind with confidence. Give me 20-22 knots and it is a park-and-forget ride. I really like being able to focus on improving the subtleties of my edging and stance without having to fly the hell out of the kite the whole time.

The kite has been bomb-proof thus far with many crashes (land and on sea) and nary a nick on it. One tiny canopy tear that Felix fixed for free (it is really awesome to live right down the street from Switch's test rider!) but the lines and the bar are still mint. I ride at Mokuleia, Oahu every afternoon and I self-lauch and land without the use of an anchor point. I bought both kites and a bar & lines that works with both for $1700 and got it in the mail in 3 business days.

If you get a chance, go on the Switch Kites website, find a team (demo) rider near you, and try one. You'll be happy I promise! I am not a team rider (Felix is my neighbor) so I have no incentive to talk up these kites -- other than the fact that I have had a great experience with them. Aloha!

Return to “Reviews”