Local Beach: sherman island
Style: freeride, freestyle
Gear: core kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

2013 Core GTS2 10m review and riot XR2 comparison

Postby jb8431 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:22 am

Part 1: Independent review for 10m GTS2

First of all I am 185lbs on135x42 shinn monk and 5'2" directional.

I have been on the Core riot xr2 all season and at my weight 185lbs it is a one kite quiver.

The GTS2 is a new animal for core. I will compare both the riot xr2 and GTS2 to help those who can't decide between the 2 kites.

I flew the GTS2 and riot XR2 back to back a couple days ago at Sherman island. The wind was steady at 14-18 mph. Pretty light but very steady wind and on an ebb tide, so good light wind conditions. Every one else was on a 12 or 14m, and me the 10m only.

The kite in the air is an instant noticeable change from previous Core just as others have stated, and I agree here. So, here is the scoop:

Kite setting on stock rear line position which is middle position, front bridle I put on front setting for heaviest bar pressure and direct steering. Really light bar pressure and nice instant kite steering, no delay in steering response . Feedback is all there as this is a must for me. Any kite with light bar pressure and no feel is useless to me, so the GTS2 is excellent here.

One little dive with the kite and I took off nicely. This kite moves and pulls forward like the xr2 and once I got going I was able to just park the kite and go. Very fast apparent wind development and accelerates really fast much better compared to the previous GTS1 which needed more wind and more kite movement to get going in light wind. The kite blasts up wind better than the GTS1. Considering the light wind I didn't boost to the moon, by never the less I was having a blast jumping and kitelooping.

Without proper wind it is hard to comment on jump and kite loop performance, but for light wind it had quick loops tighter radius than the GTS1 and a better feel through the loop. The Gts1 turned slower and had a slower constant pull through the loop where this kite will let you tune it's speed on the fly so you can have either super fast or slower depending on your bar input. This is very nice!

I can't write to long so I will end for now saying the XR2 has alittle more grunt on the low end and jumps better in light wind. I went out back to back in the same wind. But they both get going early and essentially have same lowend. I don't bother with a kite bigger than 10m at all anymore. Kiteloops are fun On both kites but the GTS2 is going to be a blast I can tell already, really smooth flutter free kiteloops.

Really fun kite!!!!

Please post questions as I am pretty short winded right now and would like to get questions answered for those of you interested. Of course I will have more to say once I get some wind over 20kts..
Last edited by jb8431 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 Core GTS2 10m review

Postby robertovillate » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:22 am

jb8431,

Thanks for starting this GTS2 review. I am eager to read an update when you have a chance to fly it in wider wind ranges. I'm 160# and fly the XR2's (8-11-15m), mostly with directional boards - occasionally TT's) and really enjoy the kites but am intrested in the GTS2 as well. It's great to read a comparison between the 2 models.

Other things I would be interested to see you report on are:
- self-laucnh, water re-launch, self-landing
- safety system function with the Sensor bar
- versatitlity in gusty conditions
- wave riding performance
- min/max winds for the 10m (and other sizes if possible)

cheers

jb8431
Rare Poster

Postby jb8431 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:59 pm

Hey Roberto,

What's amazing is Core kites have really gone through a real evolution and IMHO keep getting better. They definately have a hit this year with the XR2. As I said I am 83kg and the 10m is a 1kite quiver for me and I have ridden from 11kts to 32kts with only 2 boards. I usually fly on 21m Lines
And then 24m lines when wind is light. I think I could squeeze more low end with 27 or 30 m lines, but I haven't been desperate for wind this season.

As I said the XR2 and GTS2 have pretty much the same lowed of 12kts on a twin tip, but the xr2 will get you jumping sooner. The GTS2 will be good for learning unhook tricks in light air as it has good pop, slack, and float. The turning speed on both kites is great and the GTS2 can be flicked around with one hand with ease even on high bar pressure setting( which is still really light). In light air the Xr2 has a little more power through the turn, but it turns wider so it comes down to how aggressive you ride. For someone on a wave it could go either way as both kites are fast turning. The GTS2 is better when riding at the kite it has a stable drift and depending on downwind angle will still give a little pull, but I need more wind to really see how GTS2 will behave at this compared to XR2.

Self launch/ land and relaunch of xr2 is super easy and the kite self launches off the water. You really have to be doing something very wrong to not be able to get off the water. When your on the water and don't have waves to pound the kite you can just let go of he bar and the kite will usually just taxi to a wingtip and wait. I have not tested GTS2 for water relaunch as I don't do this on purpose, so you will have to wait until I crash it on the water.

That's all I can answer so far!

Good winds

jb8431
Rare Poster

Postby jb8431 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:18 pm

Part 2 GTS2 review

Had an amazing day for this time of year at sherman island.
It blew 20-30 mph all Day :D

Kiteloops: this is supposed to be one of this kites design goals.
I only have the 10m so I put 21m lines on and the first kiteloop I through scared the heck out of me. The kite rotated really fast and gave me a psycho blast not Only downwind, but vertical as well. What was instantly noticeable compared to other kites I've looped is this kite gains power and boost on the upstroke, so as the kite comes up from the bottom of the loop be prepared for a serious ripper blast. After that I had to back off a bit to try and tame this beast a bit as I was not used to that feeling. The kite floats incredibly well and is more stable than any kite I have flown. If the lines go slack the kite just flys itself down wind and doesn't jerk you when it catches wind, pretty insane.

With some careful control at the bar I was able to learn how to control the power and turn radius of the kite and the loops can be tame or psycho depending on your desire. I did eventually put the rear lines all the way on the forward wakestyle setting and wow perfect feedback and bar pressure for kiteloops for me. I like to really feel and know where the kite is, so heavier bar pressure was greatly helpful. Plus the kite felt way more stable on this setting. The kite setting are very different so experiment with what you like, there is sOmethimg for every one on this kite.

I was in the river so no wave, but I went way up wind to get some downwind runs doing cutbacks and jibes to see how it would feel in a wave. the kite turns super fast and doesn't yank you forward when jibing. you can really just flick the kite around and ride right at it and it just floats with you. The pop is amazing! You can jump off the wind swell and get great air and hang. This is more a pop where the kite is stationary and you turn hard at the swell or wave lip and release and you get nice strong smooth pop and the kite just floats with you and you can do a grab or rotation and not even think about the kite.

Jumping: good lift and depending on where you redirect the kite during your jump the kite gives a nice hang time. In order to get better float you need to bring the kite forward early inthe jump otherwise when you send the kite back it will slow you down and give you more vertical movement and less hang time. You just have to learn the kite. The Xr2 jumps better and hangs sooo long! so if easy riding jump festival is your thing get the XR2. The Gts2 has nice vertical lift and will send sky high in strong wind, but it doesn't hang up there like the xr2 and the xr2 jumps really well in lighter air, but the Gts2 has better pop for unhook tricks in light air. There is a trade off in the two designs and the blessed Germans know how to dial it infor each design. Core really is an amazing company and they make kites for the public with all the safety and performance at the same time. I have been riding core for 4 years and have been well served by them. Customer service is just as incredible as there gear so you won't be disappointed.

My conclusion for now is the xr2 and GTS 2 are both great all around kites. The GTS will be better inthe waves and the xr2 will satisfy boosting and hangtime junkies. For serious kiteloopers and unhook riders the GTS2 will greatly bless you. For the aspiring loopers the xr2 can loop well and has a nice loop that won't scare the hell out of you, but is nice and powerful and quick through the turn not a gutless loop. Both models in the 10m is a 1kite size for me 185lbs. The bottom and top end of both kite is insane and the GTS has great top end and With a much better upwind angle and less lateral pull downwind than the GTS1. The upwind is really pretty much the same between the xr2 and the GTS2, it was hard to notice the difference.

Good winds!

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:17 am

jb8431 wrote:Hey Roberto,
.....Self launch/ land and relaunch of xr2 is super easy and the kite self launches off the water. You really have to be doing something very wrong to not be able to get off the water. When your on the water and don't have waves to pound the kite you can just let go of he bar and the kite will usually just taxi to a wingtip and wait. I have not tested GTS2 for water relaunch as I don't do this on purpose, so you will have to wait until I crash it on the water.....
jb8431,

Thanks for adding info to your review.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I was interested in those additional questions for the GTS2. The XR2, which I am very familiar with, is very user-friendly in all those respects. I even love my 15m XR2 LW in the waves. It's great to have a lively and stable "big kite" in the waves when the wind lets up and the waves clean up - I just hang the 15m up there and it rocks! SO still waiting to hear your feedback after you crash the kite in the water - -and also your comments about self-launch/landing with GTS2.

btw...I have used the 3m extensions for the 15m a few times and to be honest do not like it and do not feel that much advantage from it...mostly because there is a noticeable difference in turning speed, and not that much more power, and the faster the better for me.

I would venture to say that the difference in the flying charactersitics you describe (XR2 vs GTS2) is due to the fact that the new XR2's are probably flatter than the GTS2, and are flatter than the previous XR version which I also have and LOVE.

I find that the "Intelligent Arc" design is a real thing and not just hype. When you pull the bar all the way down you can really feel the kite flatten out (without any feeling of stalling) and I think this is really adding some good lift and glide.

Would love to try the GTS2 but for now no complaints about the XR2!

cheers

Return to “Reviews”