CrazyFly - LightWind 156cm
DaKine Seated Harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginner Schools - North Carolina vs Texas

Postby Ergo1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:14 am

Hi All
In early April I was looking for a kiting location that is easy for beginners - waist deep water, jet ski rescue and assistance, and fairly warm water conditions. I have narrowed down the choices to the two following states - North Carolina and Texas. However, if one has another suggestion in the US, I am open to any and all responses. Also, it would be helpful if the location is not too far away from an airport. The names of the schools, of course, would be appreciated.

Thank You

Eric

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Beginner Schools - North Carolina vs Texas

Postby Bain » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:22 am

I would narrow your search down to Texas if you are interested in warmer temps. It's still really cold in Hatteras right now, and April isn't too far off.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:53 am

The way this winter is going you may have to go to Equador if you want warm temps. I have been to Hatteras in April..Wind from North Very Cold!! , from the East Cold!!, from the west warmer!!, from the South. Warm!!! No problem for us New England guys. On a good note the beaches are empty and hotels are cheap.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:59 am

It's still cold on OBX but it's been windy almost every single day no. About 60% of the time it's been NE or E. The other days there have been some good North, NW and Southwest flows. Get at least a 4/3 suit, 5 mil booties and 2 mil gloves and a beanie, youll be warm enough.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:10 am

you are unlikely to need a wetsuit at all in early april in south texas. it is possible depending on weather and air temps during your trip, so bring a light fullsuit (3/2) or shorty, but more likely it will be hot and you will be in board shorts.

brett
www.prokitesouthpadre.com

spikiteboarding
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island
Favorite Beaches: SPI Kite Ranch
Style: all
Gear: NORTH
Liquid Force
Ben Wilson Surf
North Pacific Surfboards
ION - NSI
Brand Affiliation: South Padre Island Kiteboarding
SPI Kite Ranch

Postby spikiteboarding » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:18 am

We would love to have you down to South Padre Island. Good wind, warm water, nice people!

Call me or Scotty at the shop for more details about lessons etc...

Aloha, Jason

www.spikiteranch.com

95-772-1098

spikiteboarding
Rare Poster
Liquid Force
Ben Wilson Surf
North Pacific Surfboards
ION - NSI
SPI Kite Ranch

Postby spikiteboarding » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:57 am

Here is a little promo video on SPI Kiteboarding 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k99Wrwxhn0E

spikiteboarding
Rare Poster
Liquid Force
Ben Wilson Surf
North Pacific Surfboards
ION - NSI
SPI Kite Ranch

Postby spikiteboarding » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:16 am

Not only is SPI a great place to learn, but a fantastic location to advance your skills and start riding waves. Generally we have 3-6 foot waves and miles and miles of downwind riding. Perfect for strapless riding on the smooth south wind days. Advanced wave riders usually stay near the jetty where the best sandbars are, just downwind from the surfers. Maybe you will get lucky and meet Ben Wilson or Ian Alldredge in April on his TX leg of the BWS Tour. Check us out on FB for updates!
SPI Kiteboarding is also a demo center for North, LF, BWS and rents top of the line kitesurf boards.

"The guy who rides with a smile, always has the best style."

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby GregWoj » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:35 pm

I just learned last year and if you are willing to stretch your air travel budget a hair, I would honestly check out 15knots in San Juan Puerto Rico. On a nice beach right next to the SJU airport.

www.15knots.com

There is ALWAYS a spot within a 45 min drive of the main school location that has wind and flat water learning conditions. They will take you to the best spots to learn to greatly increase your chances of progressing. The instructors are awesome and they use pretty much brand new gear. The main location is on isla verde beach right next to San Juan airport. Big long beach with light chop and always a side onshore wind. There are tons of hotels on the beach that shouldn't be too expensive. No rental car needed. You can fly in, 5 min cab ride to the beach, 2 or 3 days of lessons, 2 days of self riding/training using rented gear, then fly out.

I was up and on the board early into my second training session and going upwind by the end of the session. Each student is different in progression but these guys (and girls... my instructor was female) are pros who know how to communicate to a newbee. They also showed me some cool spots for beginners to train on: Shallow water for 500+ yards out, light to no chop, perfect wind conditions and no one else around you.

And... the water is WARM (80-85 degrees) all year round. If you contact them, ask for Juan Fernando or Felix... tell them Greg W referred you.

Return to “Reviews”