All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Reviews on the Naish Fly ?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:10 am 
Rare Poster

Hello,
Considering purchasing a fly but would like to get some input. Anyone ridden one and if so what are the pros and cons? Most important, what's the true wind range for this kite.
Thanks
Lm

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Reviews on the Naish Fly ?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:47 am 
Rare Poster

Haven't tried the Fly, but I think they touch on the wind range in this review:

[url]http://www.realwatersports.com/2014-naish-fly-kite[url]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:51 am 
Very Frequent Poster

What do you want it for?

I tried one of the V1s... was looking for a fun, zippy lighter-wind machine.
VERY stable - set the bar with the stopper, then you could almost ride hands-off and the kite would just stay there.
Fast turning. Jumps well and good hang time. Nice feedback and bar pressure...
Low-end was good for the size.
V1 was a lot of leg work, as it wanted to pull downwind a lot but that's been fixed with the new versions.

Now comes the off-topic pimping :lol:
When I got my Ocean Rodeo Flite 17.5, it totally reminded me of the Fly! Except better :D The 2013 Flite (sizes 15 and 17) are on sale too, BTW...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:06 pm 
Rare Poster

Hey Lindseym: If you do buy a Fly, can you post your thoughts on its performance here? I'd like to know if it lives up to the hype...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:52 pm 
Medium Poster

I tried the Fly a little bit in the beginning of this year for me it felt horrible to me. The bar pressure was large and the turning was very slow. It could be because I was cruising on a 7m earlier in the day, so I might have been biased, but I remember the blade fat lady to be a much, much livelier kite in sub 10 knots and with less bar pressure.

I do not normally want to speak bad of any products, but I remember feeling so disappointed when I compared how it felt and what I thought it would be like from all the marketing hype. Maybe the newer versions are much better.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:24 pm 
Frequent Poster

Haven´t tested it to much yet, but a short session, and was very impressed! I use 15m a lot during winter and summer, and for unhooked and oldschool. (bin riding the 15 TS the last two versions)
The kite seemed to have a lot of power for it´s size, I know people who have tested it back to back with the ozone zephyr 17 and they said it had more power, so really looking forward to getting it out on those light wind days. Great unhooked - stabile, steady, and a nice pull, but also slack. A bit of a giant to handle overpowered. I really liked the kite, and it will give some great freestyle session on those light wind days. If you are looking for a light wind kite to go freestyle on it is spot on, if you are going to race you´ll probably find something else that will suit you better. Haven´t tested the marginal low end jet, but I am sure it has to be good... It has more power than the TS and I could use that one from around 5ish ms (cold wind) so I bet a knot lower, feeling the power on it, but this also dependes on the rider, board, wind temp, current, and so on...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:52 pm 
Rare Poster

I owned a Fly during 8 months (a V1)
Great kite. Very very powerfull, turns quick for it's size, super stable and stays in the air without much effort even when there is not enough wind to ride.

Now the "negative" (and why I sold it):
- upwind is not great. It really pulls downwind.
- I found it needed to be flown with 30m lines to help a bit with the upwind
- not that fun to handle when overpower
- I rode it with door type boards -> great! but I also rode it with surf and race boards -> not that great... it really needs opposition from the board edge: for me does not work great with boards that you ride on the fins.

I sold it and replaced it by a core XR3 15m. A lot better for my riding style.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:33 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Great for TT, unhook, waterstarts, needs 30m lines, sucks for race boards,get a draft-racekite.

Good low end, bad high end... Good for fat guys on TT, bad for light guys on race-surf boards.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:14 pm 
Medium Poster

In depth :)

http://www.kitesurfguernsey.com/reviews/naish-fly-2012-15m-kitesurfing-kite/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:30 am 
Rare Poster

Thanks for the great feedback all. Very informative. I was hoping that by now I would have been able to ride one and share my thoughts, unfortunately not yet but as soon as I do I will let you know. One thing I did find out from someone who used to work at a shop that carried them is that if you damage the bladder its very difficult to repair and you practically have to have a pro do it for you. Not good. As I know more I will keep you all posted.

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next