Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shinn Ronson review

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories


Ianw
Rare Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:36 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride/Wave
Gear: Shinn Ronson, Shinnster, F-one Bandit 11's
Brand Affiliation: None - Spent a fortune on it.

Shinn Ronson review

Postby Ianw » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:11 pm

Me - 75 kg freerider, hooked in. Conditions:- wind 16-18 mph mushy waves typical south coast conditions
The Ronson 136X41 cm – underfoot the board feels so much smaller, lighter and more nimble than the size suggests. Frisky/skatey/fast with great acceleration but always in control. The stand out attributes are craving, popping and going upwind all with minimal back foot pressure. Why, turn the board sideways and the heel side step kicks in sending the board into a massive controlled pop, or carve or you can use it really effectively to go up wind. The contradiction is that the board feels skatey and loose and yet the step gives you phenomenal performance in the above 3 attributes without giving it a feeling of being on rails or bogging it down. Think of the step as a “turbo charger” which remains in the background not influencing the characteristics of the board until you choose to deploy it. You are not conscious of the step other than the spray which comes from the middle of the board instead of all from the back rail when you’re going up wind. My previous board was a 2year old Shinn ADHD. Overall - a great throw about freeride/freestyle board, great fun to ride and should improve the skills of even old timers like me.
The foot straps – for the first time ever I felt comfortable in foot straps. The correct foot pressure, the consistent position of my foot in the straps, the use of the raised toe grip even with boots, all because of the incredible micro click adjustments which you can adjust when sailing. If only they had the same system to tighten waist harnesses!!!!!! In fact because my foot was using the full strap not just wedged in with the weight on my heel I felt like I was standing almost over the tip of the board. So next time I will move to the inner mounting positions. Overall - carpet slippers adjusted to within a click.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 782
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Shinn Ronson review

Postby iriejohn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:01 pm

Ianw wrote:Me - 75 kg freerider, hooked in. Conditions:- wind 16-18 mph mushy waves typical south coast conditions
The Ronson 136X41 cm – underfoot the board feels so much smaller, lighter and more nimble than the size suggests. Frisky/skatey/fast with great acceleration but always in control. The stand out attributes are craving, popping and going upwind all with minimal back foot pressure. Why, turn the board sideways and the heel side step kicks in sending the board into a massive controlled pop, or carve or you can use it really effectively to go up wind. The contradiction is that the board feels skatey and loose and yet the step gives you phenomenal performance in the above 3 attributes without giving it a feeling of being on rails or bogging it down. Think of the step as a “turbo charger” which remains in the background not influencing the characteristics of the board until you choose to deploy it. You are not conscious of the step other than the spray which comes from the middle of the board instead of all from the back rail when you’re going up wind. My previous board was a 2year old Shinn ADHD. Overall - a great throw about freeride/freestyle board, great fun to ride and should improve the skills of even old timers like me.
The foot straps – for the first time ever I felt comfortable in foot straps. The correct foot pressure, the consistent position of my foot in the straps, the use of the raised toe grip even with boots, all because of the incredible micro click adjustments which you can adjust when sailing. If only they had the same system to tighten waist harnesses!!!!!! In fact because my foot was using the full strap not just wedged in with the weight on my heel I felt like I was standing almost over the tip of the board. So next time I will move to the inner mounting positions. Overall - carpet slippers adjusted to within a click.
Good review, much better and more comprehensive than mine for sure.

What size are your feet and what boots were you wearing please?

Ianw
Rare Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:36 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride/Wave
Gear: Shinn Ronson, Shinnster, F-one Bandit 11's
Brand Affiliation: None - Spent a fortune on it.

Re: Shinn Ronson review

Postby Ianw » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:13 pm

John - my feet are size 9 uk(43 EU) understand the straps are good for sizes 7 (41.5) to 11 (46). Boots are Atan Mistral 3mm not split toe. I am delighted with mine as I said I wish waist harnesses had the same system.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 782
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Shinn Ronson review

Postby iriejohn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:45 pm

Thanks for the info Ian, very interesting.

By coincidence I also have Atan 3mm boots* (round toe) which look identical to yours but I think are size 10-1/2 (45) or 11 (46), and I just can not get them into the straps properly. :-(

Are you on the UK south coast? I'm in Chichester.

* On the back of them it says "Flush-titanium", "Isotherm protection", "Barefoot System", but all the internal tags are long gone. To be honest they are very old (like me!).

Ianw
Rare Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:36 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride/Wave
Gear: Shinn Ronson, Shinnster, F-one Bandit 11's
Brand Affiliation: None - Spent a fortune on it.

Re: Shinn Ronson review

Postby Ianw » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:26 pm

iriejohn wrote:Thanks for the info Ian, very interesting.

By coincidence I also have Atan 3mm boots* (round toe) which look identical to yours but I think are size 10-1/2 (45) or 11 (46), and I just can not get them into the straps properly. :-(

Are you on the UK south coast? I'm in Chichester.

* On the back of them it says "Flush-titanium", "Isotherm protection", "Barefoot System", but all the internal tags are long gone. To be honest they are very old (like me!).
Mine are T3 in size I like to wear them tight.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 782
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Shinn Ronson review

Postby iriejohn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:58 pm

Ianw wrote:
iriejohn wrote:Thanks for the info Ian, very interesting.

By coincidence I also have Atan 3mm boots* (round toe) which look identical to yours but I think are size 10-1/2 (45) or 11 (46), and I just can not get them into the straps properly. :-(

Are you on the UK south coast? I'm in Chichester.

* On the back of them it says "Flush-titanium", "Isotherm protection", "Barefoot System", but all the internal tags are long gone. To be honest they are very old (like me!).
Mine are T3 in size I like to wear them tight.
OK, so yours are 8-9 and mine will be T4 which is 10-11. I'll see if I can go down a size, but I doubt it. I can see that mine are an older Mistral version.

topshelfboards
Rare Poster
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:56 am
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Anywhere in New England...OBX...Cayman Islands
Gear: Nobile NHP
Shinn Monk
F-One Bandit
Nobile T5 and Mr Big
Brand Affiliation: Nobile
Shinn
Contact:

Re: Shinn Ronson review

Postby topshelfboards » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:05 am

Thanks for the review. We are a Shinn dealer in the States and sold out of them so fast last year. The Ronson is going to give the Monk a run for the money!

Pemba
Medium Poster
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:39 am
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Ozone C4, Brokite Hybrid
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Shinn Ronson review

Postby Pemba » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:19 am

I've never even seen a Shinn board but its interesting how I don't think I've ever seen anything but really positive reviews on them - and lots of those. Probably the first make I would look at for my next board.

Ianw
Rare Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:36 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride/Wave
Gear: Shinn Ronson, Shinnster, F-one Bandit 11's
Brand Affiliation: None - Spent a fortune on it.

Re: Shinn Ronson review

Postby Ianw » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:42 am

Pemba wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:19 am
I've never even seen a Shinn board but its interesting how I don't think I've ever seen anything but really positive reviews on them - and lots of those. Probably the first make I would look at for my next board.
I've now had the Ronson for a year since I did my initial review and the whole package board and straps have been perfect for the sea conditions I kite in and my level of kiting. Also the board has stood up to some tough treatment without showing any signs of damage. It's worth checking out the video's at the bottom of the description of each of the boards on the web site https://www.shinnworld.com/ronsonpatrol to make sure either of the boards fits your requirements. I hope you manage to get a Shinny you won't regret it!!!!


Return to “Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests