Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

The Ultimate Wetsuit !?

Postby Barryg101 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:04 pm

Greetings ,

I’ve been on the hunt for a new wetsuit for this season in Spain and have been put off some brands as other kiters claim that they literally fall apart .

I’ve heard that Hurley & Ion Wetsuit’s both have weak seams and aren’t durable at all and find this very hard to accept especially since they cost hundreds of €€€

From your experience what’s a good solid brand of wetsuit that can withstand kitesurfing for at least a few seasons .

Looking forward to hearing your experiences !

A

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Ultimate Wetsuit !?

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 pm

needessentials.com
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Kerplow (Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo
Has thanked: 0

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:42 pm

surfing for 35 years - kiting for 7 years. I have an o'neill wetsuit 5\4 and after 5 years the seams are seal. I use this wetsuit 30 times a year when is very cold. I keep it away from direct sun. I buy a new wetsuit every year but only when they are on sales. After the o'neill I put my money on Rip Curl .

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:21 pm

Barryg101 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:04 pm

I’ve heard that Hurley & Ion Wetsuit’s both have weak seams and aren’t durable at all and find this very hard to accept especially since they cost hundreds of €€€

From your experience what’s a good solid brand of wetsuit that can withstand kitesurfing for at least a few seasons .
I'm kinda torn on Ion

My Ion Onyx (which I only use for kiting) feels great, drains really well, doesn't stink. But the seams don't seem to last a long as my ripcurl wetsuits. That being said I kite 3-4 times a week for 6 months out of the year and I'm going to be going into season 2.5 on it and it'll probably last until the end of the summer if I'm a little more careful with it. My ripcurl flashbomb lasted about 3.5 years and was used for both kiting (including learning) and surfing year round. The neoprene just got too leaky (a soft shower head could push water through the shoulders). So the hours on that were way higher...

1. Get the wetsuit that fits you the best.
2. Don't pay extra for ankle drain holes, just heat up a nail and poke them. I'd also put some neoprene tape on the back of where you poke, Mcnett makes a good one. Drain holes are great for kiting, not so much for surfing.
3. Needessentials makes good wetsuits (they aren't really THAT much cheaper than similarly spec'ed suits) but their outwear is trash.

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:40 pm

:thumb: Good info for thanks for advice , I currently have a quicksilver wetsuit and it’s been good for 2 season but man I hate the zippers at the end ....

Nothin but trouble !

Mite give ripcurl a try this season

:P

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:04 pm

I had a Ripcurl E-Bomb from 2013 or 14, and that thing looked like it was uses 20 years, after just 6 months. Seams toring apart, lining peeling off, knees splitting open, discoloration. Fit wasn't that great either tbh, forearms and lower legs waaay to small.

Got a Ion Onyx after that, and although the suit itself was fine, it had problems with the knees splitting open right next to the protectionpatches (ironic), and seams tearing apart on the inside mostly on the back. Got a warranty replacement, same problems again withing 6 months. Got a warranty again, but a backzip (Strike I think) and again, same problems.

Now I have an Ion Onyx Amp, got a pretty good deal and the fitment for me is excellent, and it's way better than the older regular Onyx. The seams are protected on the inside so no problems there, and they have finally changed the kneepads, so no more tearing there. But I have it for 9 month now, so can't comment too much yet.

Not sure if I'll stick with the brand. Plenty other good stuff available. Billabong, ONeil, XCell, C-Skins. Patagonia, Matuse etc looks good too, but very expensive and I'm not sure how they hold up when you get dragged in the sand sometimes. I keep away from Mystic, Prolimit, Manera etc, although Ion is in the same league.

BehindTheDune
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Slufter (The Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: La Pointe Faula (Martinique); Tatajuba (Brazil); Brouwersdam, Slufter (The Netherlands)
Style: freestyle, freeride
Gear: Vegas 8, 11; Rebel 11,13
Been thanked: 0

Postby BehindTheDune » Sat May 19, 2018 4:33 pm

I had an ION when I was a beginner and granted I did get dragged on the beach, but the knee got completely torn (along with my own knee). I have an NP and I am very happy with it. I kite a lot in the Netherlands and it is warm and comfy enough (warmer than the ION) + getting big falls or getting dragged did not tear it at all. The seams seem much sturdier + they are lined with neoprene. I would definitely not go back to ION.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Sun May 20, 2018 7:06 am

I have a recommendation for NP combat 5/4/3. I have a back zip, but if the front zip is anything remotely like it it should be very good. I will stress to you that fit is very important. A mediocre suit that fits you well will be worth more than an excellent suit that does not fit. Most modern wet suits from different companies fit different body styles a bit better. The NP certainly seems to be cut for stockier builds. Mine fits me beautifully, except I think they use Nick Jacobsen’s balls to size the crotch. Loads of space down there.

I have used it in cold water in my winter here (High 40F water with mid 50F air) and in the Cape Town summer. Also took it on a several hour river hike in SA during 80F weather and 70F water, did not overheat. No worse for wear after clambering over and sliding down rocks for hours. Seems to have a very wide service range temperature wise.

I do not like the Velcro closure on the back zip, not easy enough to ‘hide’ the cling side of the Velcro to stop it from snagging the inner suit liner when removing or storing the suit. Also the batwing anti-flush panel that goes over your head migrates out of the neck over time. I need to bunch it up to keep it inside the neck. Neither of these deters from the warmth or utility of the suit, but they should be solved on the front zip version.

Seems to have held up well over the past year. The liner near the neck is showing a little pilling from the aforementioned Velcro closure, and the ankle Velcro straps have lost a stitch or two, but I expect the core suit to hold up for quite some time. Outside looks just like the day I took it out of the plastic really.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Sun May 20, 2018 9:04 pm

I always shop wetsuits by cheapest price because I know Ill trash it quick regardless of brand. Id rather have three new ones ready to go than one expensive suit Ill trash just the same anyway.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon May 21, 2018 1:40 am

Greenturtle wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:04 pm
I always shop wetsuits by cheapest price because I know Ill trash it quick regardless of brand.
Every worn a $300 suit vs a $100 suit? They definitely fit and feel different.

Return to “Reviews”