Xenon Infra 136
Ronix Boots
Mystic X
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Zhik Avlare rash guard review... finally a wind and water proof solution

Postby bmcfiv » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:25 pm

The evaporation from rash guards makes me cold, even in 85 degree weather, so I set out to find one that provide the sun and ocean protection that included some type of wind protection.

After searching, I found Zhik that specializes in sailing gear. Large market so they have the funds to design properly. There is almost a perfect overlap between high performance sailers and kiteboarders. We're always wet, but above the water exposed to the wind. Therefore Zhik's priority is insulation and wind resistance.

So the Avalar uses material that minimizes water absorption and provides protection from the wind. The water largely beads off like a rain jacket. The wind resistance is noticable but not complete, however, combined the effect achieves what they're after. It's also extremely thin.

In use, I love it. When you forget about a piece of gear when using it, you know it's the one. I finally have sun and ocean protection, fabric that's comfortable, and the ever elusive water and wind resistance. I'm never hot or cold b/c of the garment.

The quality is superb. It is close to form fitting. I've had no issues with my harness.

They only have one color grey, which looks pro.

The cost is high compared to others, but assuming this last 5+ years which I'm sure it will, well worth it.

They have additional gear, contemplating buying, we'll see.

https://www.zhik.com/mens-avlare-top.ht ... e=us_sail

Return to “Reviews”