Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

X3 review - part 1

Postby Airgear.com » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:21 pm

Ok,

Sat. I had about 2 hrs on the 16 X3.

Wind description: Other folks my size were mostly on 16s, one guy on a 19.5 Gaastra. I was slightly underpowered at times but I'd say that for 90 minutes out of the 120 I was powered ok. I was on an Airush 136 board (pretty much the smallest board on the beach). I'm 180lbs. Henri was on a 12m X2, 136 Airush and had to walk a few times but could generally stay upwind (he's about 170 lbs.).

Range: The first thing I noticed was the range. When I was in the power loop, the kite became super-powerful where I actually had to get out and push the bar to keep an edge. But when the bar was all the way forward, the kite was very under-powered. This is pretty amazing because I think it will allow using this kite in lower winds than the X2 16 yet have a more "comfortable" gust control because when the bar is forward, the kite is at 30% power. Very nice. Overall, the bottom-end is improved from the 16 X2. Top-end is hard to say because it didn't really get there.

Steering: A bit less back-line tension than the 16 X2 (I'd like to see it even lighter). Steering was certainly easier and a bit faster. Overall, the steering was very similar to that of the 14 X2. A noticeable improvement.

Jumping: Pop is incredible. I felt (and was confirmed by some folks later) that I jumped significantly higher than everyone else. Even the 19.5 guy (who was using a larger board as well - probably a 150-160). I was very impressed by the hangtime as well. The kite seems very disciplined in the air and kinda waits for you when you're in the air. Landings are very smooth with very little spray. I managed to pull my first no-footer (both feet) yesterday. Landed one out of 30 attempts :) But the point is that the X3 made it very comfortable to try anything in the air. There was another guy on a 15.7 Mach One who was doing one-footers but was getting 6ft at most. The 16X3 was taking me to 15ft easily.

Upwind: when I launched the kite, the kite went to zenith and then above and then BEHIND my head. At first I freaked. But then realized that it just sits there and wait for me like it's hung in the sky. Maybe it was a 20-second gust. But it felt like it simply sits higher in the window. Almost like an F-ARC. Needless to say, upwind was a breeze on it. It rides very high in the window when the bar is away from you. Bringing the bar in pushed the kite and stabilizes it at about 5 degrees lower in the window with more static power (proved great in the tiny waves we had). By the way, the kite is very resistant to backing up and folding in. Never happened, even when the wind got lighter.

Overall stability: The kite felt very comfortable from the get-go, so I tried a bunch of new tricks yesterday. Needless to say, I made more flying mistakes than I could count. Yet, the kite never even showed signs of Hindenbergin' on me. In fact, several times I was sure it will and when my head popped out of the water the kite was solidly above the water with surprising tension in the lines. I did several trans. jumps which required to bring the kite back to the power via the bottom portion of the window (fake-kite-loop type of thing) and the kite turned very quickly and smoothly without the fluttering noise which sometimes occurs on the X2 when I turn it very sharply.

Finish and quality: I found the kite to be very stiff on the beach (which is why I believe there is an incredible top-end potential with it). Stiffer than anything else I've seen. The proprietary (actually, 2003 North kites have this as well, but most bars on the market still use 4 loops) pig-tail deal has its safety advantages for the typical dumb-ass who occasionally connects a center line to the rear connection points (I hate to admit it but I've had my moments of dumb-ass startdome) - I hope people will use it and not convert. Although it seemed as if conversion takes less than 30 seconds using the existing pigtail. The pump-leash is a great touch and the new pumps with the larger diameter spout (?) make inflation much easier. The leading edge bladder and struts are very thin. Feels like the size on the 12 X2 (not confirmed). The bag looks great in the shop, but is too much like last-years bag (to be fair to Naish, '02 bag has 1 strap, 03 bag has two straps, a zipper pocket, and a larger diameter) but I still don't really like it. A long zipper throughout the entire length og the "condom: would have been much better. The kite, though, having thinner struts allows for easier entry into the bag without having to deflate the center strut (at least this was addressed along with the zippered pocket for my darn keys).

Conclusion: Well, I love the kite and find it to be a definite improvement over last year. With it's improved pop, longer hangtime, and much greater range and stability, I find upgrading my quiver a go. No negatives really (well, the graphics could be better :). Henri used the kite for about 20 minutes - maybe he will add to this.

We are hoping to get more winds today, so I'll try to write more details about the top-end, and put more focus on wave-riding if we get anything above 5 ft (highly doubt it).

Let me know if there are any questions to stuff I didn't cover.

Boaz

-----------------------------------------------------
AirGear - LA's top kitesurfing-only store!
5855 Green Valley Circle, Suite 206
Culver City, CA 90230
Tel: 310.642.7695 x203 * Fax: 310.642.7778
http://www.airgear.com

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:02 am

Boaz,
I'm pretty sure i saw you in a tecate beer comercial here in mexico, it was you wasn't it? Where did they shoot the commercial?

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:22 am

Thanks for the review. How is the bar pressure on the X-3

Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby Mo » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:42 am

How light was the wind? You didn't mention.
Mo

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:33 am

thx a lot for your review, Boaz.

I will move the review into the review forum and leaving a shadow in the main, so people can view and reply in both.

Greets
Toby

Airgear.com
Medium Poster

Postby Airgear.com » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:28 pm

Andres - yes it was me and my crew (Alex, Phil and Jaime). It was filmed near La Ventana. The kiting was insane. They editted the worst stuff in because they needed more water shots (less jumping) but it was still a blast :)

Mo - I think numbers, are not a very good way of judging. So I gave more of a relative description to other kiters. But, since you insist :): first hour avg.14 MPH, very steady. Second hour, avg. 12, very steady (+- 3).

Guest - Bar pressure is a bit less than the X2. The bar is a lot more "effective". In other words, playing with the bar position (changing Angle of Attack) makes a huge difference in power. At avg. 14, you can be over-powered in the chicken loop and totally under-powered 2 seconds later by pushing the bar forward all the way. Thsi gives you incredible range and control. Especially for boosting and wave-riding.

Boaz

Bertus
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Safety Bay, Western Australia
Gear: Naish X3, Flexifoil Atom, Liquid Force Lithium

Postby Bertus » Tue May 06, 2003 12:21 pm

Thanks for the info Boaz.

I want to buy a X3 to compliment my X2-12. It sounds like the 16 would be good. I were thinking 18. Juding from other posts here it seem the 18's weight may count against it. Does that sound like a fair comment or is the difference not that much?

Bertus

Return to “Reviews”