NJKite
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SS board SX136

Postby NJKite » Thu May 08, 2003 7:26 am

Simply put...This board is a gem.

Initially when i first saw the size and shape of the sx136, I was skeptical about it's wind range and planning ability in moderate winds. But this board scored top grades with me and i am having difficulty finding any faults to mention in this review.

Note*I weigh 165 lbs, kite in the ocean and am usually out in 10 to 20 knots of side shore wind. (I am not affiliated with SS in any way).

I've been riding a wipika mystery 150. The SX does everything my mystery board does, but better.
The SX is a lightweight board, awesome footpads, quick to plane, perfect rocker to push through any chop or wave. It's narrow rail makes edging effortless in the gusts. It easily holds power and there is plenty of pop. It definitely has a wakeboard vibe but feels turny and carves almost as good as a mutant on a wave.

Don't follow older standards when looking at the length and trying to figure out what size you should get. The width gives this board surprising range at 136cm & for my weight this board works in 10 knots or above. It feels like your riding a foreign sports car because of it's size. A 180 degree heal to toe switch takes little effort. There is some width to the board (by your feet) which give the board it's added wind range, but it is un-noticeable...

I know this sounds like a biased review and I wish i had some negative comments to round out things, but A+ to Doyle...If any and all of the other companies newer board designs are like this...I say that board designs have come a long way in one year.

Good winds...

Postby Guest » Tue May 13, 2003 12:27 pm

You can go shorter than this.
I ride now 122cm x 38cm and the trend is even shorter.

Eddy

SRV
Medium Poster

136-141?

Postby SRV » Sun May 25, 2003 10:22 am

hi

could u recommend for a 80kg rider experienced the 136 or 141?
my conditions are 12-25 knots?
& how is the recovery from transitions?
tks

NJKite
Rare Poster

141 or 136...?

Postby NJKite » Sun May 25, 2003 4:49 pm

I have never been on the 141 so I can't tell you from personal experience the difference between the 2. I called to chat with slingshot about the 141 to find out more about the board. They said that most the team riders are on the 136s...

IMO,for your weight I believe slingshot might recommend the 141...it has greater range. But, I don't know what to tell you.

As far as recovery on spin tricks the board is very forgiving, but again, I have just started doing spin tricks and haven't had enough experience in that area.

Sorry I can't give you better answers to your questions.

sx

Postby Guest » Tue May 27, 2003 4:28 pm

Ok
tks anyway.
by the way if anyone can share any info on these boards(riding Drake)at the moment,need a small board to plane quiker in light winds yet hold a lot of wind in overpowered conditions.

SRV

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue May 27, 2003 6:20 pm

had the drake last year, and have the 136 this year, better in every way this year.

i prefer the board with tfc fins on the tips and no centre fins, but i'm running 7cm asymmetrical tfc style fins, so not much difference, the rocker line is superb, fast and agile, the board is super light under foot, with this fin configuration and rides down the line like a mutant, almost.

jumping the pop is similar to my 120 x 41cm square, and lands a litle bit asofter with a progressive tail glide into the water.

the only negative i have to say about the board is that in chop exactly the wavelength of the board and half the boards width high, it can pop alittle over the chop, but thats it, if you are powered up enough to rail it then its not a problem.

footpads are even better than last years.

Return to “Reviews”