Almost got killed, cut line. Question.

Forum for kitesurfers
Dieselboy
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Almost got killed, cut line. Question.

Postby Dieselboy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:37 pm

I tied the line into 5 knots. Will this hold or should I just replace. Has anybody ever fix a cut line with no problems.

dobiewan
Frequent Poster

Postby dobiewan » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:09 pm

Hi - normal (dyneema) kite line cannot be tied (a 5th line which is not under the same load as your flying lines would probably not be an issue). In fact, knots reduce the strength by about 50%. That is why kite lines are looped and sleeved at the attachment points. Replace your's immediately, or prepare for a swim, a lost kite or worse.

Ken

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:10 pm

Regards,

Q-line can most certainly be tyed without worry....

Use a fisherman's knot: do a knot search,,,,it's a sweet f-en knot.

Regards
fokiten

Q-line is just simply the way to go

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Re: Almost got killed, cut line. Question.

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:10 pm

Dieselboy wrote:I tied the line into 5 knots. Will this hold or should I just replace. Has anybody ever fix a cut line with no problems.
You will absolutely have to replace those lines, knots in unsleeved dyneema or spectra will not hold under load, AND all knots in lines GREATLY reduce the strength of your lines, AND knots along the length of the lines, where the twists collect when you do spins, can/will cause a DANGEROUS line lock up, AND may prevent your safety depower leash from working properly.

Now that you know about knots, don't tie knots in your lines, replace them.
Do not use fishermans knots in kite line, kite line is not mono filament nylon fishing line. Fishermans knots DO susbtantially weaken fishing line and especially braided kite line. Even the brand mentioned by the 1.5yo pimp above who rarely kites and just sits in front of a screen 23/7.

Cya and

NoKnots

Steve McCormack

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:31 pm

the reduction in weakness of any knot in any line is directly proportional to the size of the smallest diameter turn in the knot....

maybe huge knots would work.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:38 pm

kitepower wrote:
Dieselboy wrote:I tied the line into 5 knots. Will this hold or should I just replace. Has anybody ever fix a cut line with no problems.
You will absolutely have to replace those lines, knots in unsleeved dyneema or spectra will not hold under load, AND all knots in lines GREATLY reduce the strength of your lines, AND knots along the length of the lines, where the twists collect when you do spins, can/will cause a DANGEROUS line lock up, AND may prevent your safety depower leash from working properly.

Do not use fishermans knots in kite line, kite line is not mono filament nylon fishing line. Fishermans knots DO susbtantially weaken fishing line and especially braided kite line. Even the brand mentioned by the 1.5yo pimp above who rarely kites and just sits in front of a screen 23/7.

Cya and

NoKnots

Steve McCormack
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2319186&highlight=qline

Evidently our two year old doesn't stock q-line...

Hence the tantrum..

In our material universe:

You tie loops in q-line as a matter of standard practise...

The figure eight knot is reccomended for loops the fisherman's knot is ideal for a quick back on the water splice...

Stagger your leaders by at least a few feet

( iinterest note/factiod: our two year old sells kites with locking knot lines as standard practise... [cab-x-bow])

No knots in the field are of course preffered, however, one must have leaders, and a stopper for the bar,,,the indignation of a two year old is limited to stock on hand.

(or in hand if you're keneso- finger testing LOL,,,)

fo tip # 3. q-line rocks,,,because you simply tie knots.

Regards
fo

Get some q-line if you now possess the wimpy stuff.

It rigs better, wraps better, untangles easier its just the way to go.

I was given some of the flimsy stuff,,,,two year olds like it, adults preffer q-line

Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Phillipp » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:02 am

What everyone is trying to tell you is: GET NEW LINES. (Fokiten, just needs a bit more text to get to this point, but that's how he is - being crisp, precise and to the point was never his strength).

P

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:29 am

Just a note,,,

All kites come with crap-lines, meaning no kite company uses q-line.

I think the shops like selling you new wimpy ones every friggin season,,,wimpy lines suffer from all sorts of short comings, breaking being the most severe,,,

get a knot in one,,,,and your in trouble,,,

do yourself a favor,,,,lose the wimpy shit,,,

And let the two year olds squeal,,,,it's good for their lungs,,wink !
fokiten

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:35 am

fokiten wrote:
kitepower wrote:

Cya and

NoKnots

Steve McCormack
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2319186&highlight=qline

Evidently our two year old doesn't stock q-line...

Hence the tantrum..

In our material universe:

You tie loops in q-line as a matter of standard practise...

The figure eight knot is reccomended for loops the fisherman's knot is ideal for a quick back on the water splice...

Stagger your leaders by at least a few feet

( iinterest note/factiod: our two year old sells kites with locking knot lines as standard practise... [cab-x-bow])

No knots in the field are of course preffered, however, one must have leaders, and a stopper for the bar,,,the indignation of a two year old is limited to stock on hand.

(or in hand if you're keneso- finger testing LOL,,,)

fo tip # 3. q-line rocks,,,because you simply tie knots.

Regards
fo

Get some q-line if you now possess the wimpy stuff.

It rigs better, wraps better, untangles easier its just the way to go.

I was given some of the flimsy stuff,,,,two year olds like it, adults preffer q-line

What we are seeing here is a true 1.5yo Fo hissy fit.

Once again he shows his true colours and motivation - negativity and misinformation are the tools of this TOOL.

Kitepower does stock Q-Power has since it first came out. I still have a bar with it. We just have not got around to putting it on the web, it is not a popular line. BUT I would never recommend that anyone actually ties knots in it mid span and uses it regularly, as the 1.5yo (who rarely kites, and only on antique gear) just recommended above.

One does not need leaders, unless you are an old fart nice person like Fokiten, (he thinks every bar has to be rigged like the dogs breakky, old wipi AB bars) who follows anyone who gives him free stuff (he must have scored some free Q-Power, thats why he is pimping it).

Modern bars have a monkeys fist or a loop at the end of very short leaders, so that the connection is very smooth and there is virtually no chance of line lock when there are twists in the lines.

Kitepower has never sold a Crossbow with the leaders rigged incorrectly, as some apparently were set wrong in the factory, we checked and changed them all here if they were the wrong way around.

In the real world of genuine users, it would be better to sleeve Q-Power and sew the sleeves in place so that there are no knots.

Knots and power kites suck, if they can be avoided DO IT!!
Always replace broken lines that will be used on kiteboarding kites (land, snow or water use)

Don't listen to people who sit on computers all day trolling for negative
action.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve McCormack

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:48 am

hehehe,,

Just que them and they preform...

We're getting back into the bold tantrum are we?

I preffer longer leaders on the backlines, and no leader whatsoever on the fronts....mini thimbled stub...

(self landing) and anti tangle bar flippin reasons

The squealling is good for their lungs...

Can you say bolder on your shoulder???

LOL
Regards
fo

I traded all my production bars so far for q-line sets...

I make my own bars,,,they're just better

Return to “Kitesurfing”