Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which kite brand do you fly? (July 2004)

Forum for kitesurfers

Which kite brand do you fly?

Naish
11%
Flysurfer
7%
North
10%
Ocean Rodeo
4%
Best
14%
Peter Lynn
5%
Slingshot
7%
Cabrinha
11%
RRD
1%
Gaastra
1%
Flexifoil
1%
Wipika
2%
F-one
2%
Takoon
3%
Globerider
3%
Liquid Force
3%
Monkey
1%
Other
5%
Totally mixed
5%
Caution
2%

Total votes: 807

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby vietkiter » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:24 pm

realitycheck wrote:
PAFF wrote:I have never seen anyware where BEST are soo "Great", as on this site. Alot off Best post/press/pr also.
Good Point. this seems to be the only place you hear about Best. Reports in all the popular kite spots around the world and in the US, Hatteras, Gorge, CA, Texas. One Best kite, Two Best Kites, no Best kites. And dont forget the local yahoo selling gear out of the back of his van.
vietkiter wrote:
... ask Real how's lesson business this year and how much Best gear they have moved... I am guessing a lot!
Yeah let's get the "REAL" report. On site Hatteras reports are the only Best kites are on display in Reals shop. Where are all the Best kites? Still sitting in their FL warehouse? But hey, they are ON SALE again! Why the ongoing big sale? Gotta move some kites!
I could care less how many kites REAL sells...

I have already commented on the "best cheerleading" tactics months ago... as did a lot of others... seems like a non-issue today on this forum... yes there are over-the-top supporters... but the distractors are there too...

If Best is just a "one kite wonder", spending "millions" to sell one kite, isn't it clinical paranoia to be alarmed? Reminds me of late eighties when people worried about Japan Inc. yes Japan did sell a lot of cars/electronics to the western world... but they certainly shared the wealth by buying a lot of overpriced western real estate and financed our debt cheaply. So if you really believe Best is about "stupid money" then you should welcome Best with open hands...

Here's my "realitycheck" - 1) Best has established a strong beachhead in Brand and Volume. 2) The well cultivated perception that a top performing kite should cost over $1000 is permanently shattered. 3) Whether Best ultimately succeed or not... Best has created the blueprint that many others will try to eminate... focus on price only and you will be another China Kite... credible Brand is key... tell me a kite brand that is more recognizable on the water than the Flying Fish... the logo is also very "pleasing" to women... just ask them why they like the hats and tongas and baby tees and fake tatoos that were ubiquitous in Cabarete... therefore those who look down on the "crude" marketing tactics of Best don't have a clue as to the level of sophistication/thoughts involved... don't take my word... but fokiten even grudgingly concurred... it's amazing what a few online product contests can do for brand mindshare.

If you don't understand why the 3 for 2 is such a great marketing plan... then you are simply shopguy reincarnated. So, disrespect your nemesis at your own peril.

maddy
Very Frequent Poster

boring

Postby maddy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:24 am

in italy we say "aria fritta" that's FRIED AIR ...means talkin'of NOthing. Ok it does not matter what they say abou but they talk about ... BEST. I think the BEST is just STOP with this EMPTY arguments. Any market has seen it: cheaper tools working fine (it has been the same with BIC sailboards or ELAN snowboards for example). Everybody knows that there are shares of the market asking for this. Then others just want to pay more and so and so. Cars and bikes and shoes work almost the same way. The only problem is that the discussion really drops off... OK OK I'am wrong, I was a bit bored, keep on , relax

CoastPop
Rare Poster

Postby CoastPop » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:57 am

I somehow doubt the BEST figures, but if it is for real, good luck to them. I personally have got to the stage where if I see the word BEST in any topic, I ignore it, and any replies punting BEST, I ignore as well. There are far more interesting posts to peruse.

In fact this forum is getting so flooded with BEST I now visit it far less frequently than I used to.

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:41 pm

in Germany online shops offer discounts between 20 and 25%, so that Best receives very strong competition from established brands with guaranteed resale value. Best just started "buy 2 pay 1" - maybe this makes them brake through. I haven´t seen a single one though in southern Germany and nothern Italy.
Number 1 on all spots I visited this year clearly was North.

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vietkiter » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:55 pm

CoastPop wrote:I somehow doubt the BEST figures, but if it is for real, good luck to them. I personally have got to the stage where if I see the word BEST in any topic, I ignore it, and any replies punting BEST, I ignore as well. There are far more interesting posts to peruse.

In fact this forum is getting so flooded with BEST I now visit it far less frequently than I used to.
Actually, if you are a consumer of kite products, it is in you interest to root for Best, whether you ever buy their products or not. Whatever you are looking at... its a little more attractive at earlier time in the season than ever!

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vietkiter » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:06 pm

Foxi wrote:in Germany online shops offer discounts between 20 and 25%, so that Best receives very strong competition from established brands with guaranteed resale value.
Forgive my arrogance if this is simply a "loss in translation" issue... since my comprehension of German is nil...

But "guaranteed resale value"????? I would love to hear what exactly does this mean in terms of discount and average price after 3 months, 6 months, 12 months? I haven't seen too many 04 Best kites being offered on the used kite markets... which indicates a high customer sastifaction rate... as oppose to stuntc's beloved 04 CO2... which apparently is "dramatically improved" in 05 compared to 04... that really makes me feel good about my 04 co2 that was purchased earlier this year... don't my money feels really stupid.

gumball
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gumball » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:52 pm

CoastPop wrote:I somehow doubt the BEST figures
Just to clear things up, based on annualized sales for our first 5 months in business, Best is by far the largest kite company in the world.

jasevinda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jasevinda » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:27 pm

/ by 3 and x by 2 to get true sales!

El_Gran_Extractor
Frequent Poster

Postby El_Gran_Extractor » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:23 pm

Best kites .. hum..
I don't like how they look,
I don't like how they fly,
I love their price, but I have a wife that also kites so money isn't an issue. :thumb:

I love my Cabrinha Recon system,
I think the 5th element on north (altough never tried it yet) looks even better.
I don't mind spending a lot more money on a kite that offers more than then the standard kite Best offers.

If Best would also come up with a great safety / relaunch system I would probably give them another try.

realitycheck
Rare Poster

Postby realitycheck » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:25 am

CoastPop wrote:
I somehow doubt the BEST figures

Gumball wrote:

Just to clear things up, based on annualized sales for our first 5 months in business, Best is by far the largest kite company in the world.
Gee thanks for clearing that up. The truth will set you free, but then again you must find pleasure in your little fantasy. LMAO :lol1:

Vietkiter wrote:
I haven't seen too many 04 Best kites being offered on the used kite markets... which indicates a high customer sastifaction rate...
Yes viet, no one has seen to many Best kites anywhere. But your alter ego seems to think they are HUGE. Saw a few brand new 3 fer 2's on Ebay.

Return to “Kitesurfing”