3%

Total votes: 381

noody
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby noody » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:29 pm

Lewis, please behave, stop lowering the tone. (Thats Worthing for you)

Oop's, what! "open your zip and I'II pee in yours? Now that's lowering the tone. (Smile)

This is getting hillarious but I dont think everyone is telling the truth. Come on guy's, open up. Lewis has done his bit. (As usual) :lol:

girl
Rare Poster

Postby girl » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:09 am

According to an item in Carve Magazine, Spring '98, pissing your wetsuit could be dodgy in the wrong locations. It reads as follows:

Pissing your wetsuit can have fatal consequences if you surf in sharky waters, according to an Australian marine biologist. David Baxter from Sydney, who has studied sharks for 15 years, claims that most attacks occured shortly after the victims had urinated in the water.

"Surfers and swimmers think their urine will be swept away faairly quickly, but it stays it the wetsuit and creates a powerful smell for sharks. Sharks have well-developed olfactory glands intheir noses and are attracted to the smell of body fluids such as blood and urine."

And another quote here:

The shark smells this and many documentaries have shown me that sharks sense this smell and immediately think a free feed is available as urine indicates an animal in distress. A common response by animals for shock and near death. Not enough is said about urinating in the ocean and I never do soley for that reason and it can damage the wetsuit. Sharks are known to be in a beach and go straight for the person who has urinated missing hundreds of other beach goers sensing the smell and hunting it down."

Now all I have to ask is - how did he know that these people had just pissed in the water - going on forensic evidence - ie sampling the remains - would be difficult to figure out whether they had pissed before the attack or during it (pretty likely I would have thought). And there are so few shark attacks that even if he asked all the people who lived through one, I would have thought he would have to have about 100% of them say they had just had a pee for it to be statistically significant.

However - there are HUGE sharks where I live, and I never peed in my wettie and on the strength of this research i am not about to start, even if the research (as presented here) seems a little suspect.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:12 am

I would imagine the info was culled from interviewing attack victims that survived. I'm sure at some point, the biologists started trying to come up with a theory and asked those questions. Eventually the common points start to show up. As for how many attacks there have been, check some sites. It's kind of scary. I was looking at a book on sharks common to Hawaii tonite and was VERY unpleasantly surprised to see that my favorite spot of Kailua has had quite a lot of Tiger sharks sighted, caught, and even attacks. And all this time I just figured it was nothing but little white tip reefies out there with me. :-? :roll: Oh well, I made a deal with them a long time ago. I don't eat them, and they don't eat me. :wink:

Aloha,

SENDIT!
Last edited by SENDIT! on Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noody
Medium Poster

Postby noody » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:30 am

I was on Maui for two years running, I asked around about sharks and mostly the regular riders were not concerned and doubted that an attack would occur. One local had been sailing/surfing the north shore for fifteen years and no one was ever attacked. (He said)

Then a lady was chewed and scared by a small shark of unknown species. That was quite cleverly smoothed over as well.

Do you think local authority has worked with the inhabitants to keep this danger in perspective.

For you guys who are used to riding in sharky waters I suppose the issue of shark attack is kept in perspective.

It was only the site of all the riders out there that brushed away my concerns and I joined them eventually being unconcerned.

However, nice slant on the issue of peeing in your suit. I only wore a thin suit on Maui because of the jelly-fish risk at the time.

Optimus_Angles

Postby Optimus_Angles » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:52 pm

i was being ohnest. us goring boys are so keen. that its not worth the time to get out and go for a poo. just slip one out and it finds its way into the sea after a few hours. trust me i know

TilmanHH
Medium Poster

Postby TilmanHH » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:09 pm

Once I drank two beers before kiting. I hardly managed it.... so as I don´t drink before kiting, I don´t have to pee.......

Do you pee in your bed? :lol:

girl
Rare Poster

Postby girl » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:03 am

SENDIT! wrote:I would imagine the info was culled from interviewing attack victims that survived. I'm sure at some point, the biologists started trying to come up with a theory and asked those questions. Eventually the common points start to show up. As for how many attacks there have been, check some sites. It's kind of scary. I was looking at a book on sharks common to Hawaii tonite and was VERY unpleasantly surprised to see that my favorite spot of Kailua has had quite a lot of Tiger sharks sighted, caught, and even attacks. And all this time I just figured it was nothing but little white tip reefies out there with me. :-? :roll: Oh well, I made a deal with them a long time ago. I don't eat them, and they don't eat me. :wink:

Aloha,

SENDIT!
I guess I just didn't take into account the number of people that survive attacks - where i live the beaches are populated with Great Whites, (and nervous looking seals) People don't seem to do so well in the survival stakes unfortunately...I Like the part about you don't eat them and they don't eat you. For my part I've always been told that it's lonely at the top, but not when it comes to the food chain.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:58 am

girl wrote:
I guess I just didn't take into account the number of people that survive attacks - where i live the beaches are populated with Great Whites, (and nervous looking seals) People don't seem to do so well in the survival stakes unfortunately...I Like the part about you don't eat them and they don't eat you. For my part I've always been told that it's lonely at the top, but not when it comes to the food chain.
Yeah, I suppose that would be true in that case. Most shark attacks (from what I've picked up in my life-long fascination with sharks) are perpetrated by a small percentage of the almost 400 species. Piled high at the top are Bull sharks, Tigers, and Great Whites just to name a few. There are many people that suffer loss of limbs, but live to tell the tale. That's b/c most sharks are just testing what might appear to be a tasty meal and stop when they discover it tastes like McDonald's! :wink:
The bad thing about Great Whites is that most people can't survive the intial taste test! :o

Aloha,
SENDIT!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

vegetarian?

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:53 am

Hey...can we please stop this discussion? I have heard that a shark would never attack / hit a guy with glasses (better get a pair now) :wink:
Especially if he is vegetarian....(me hoping).

Hey Rog..what do you mean about the lotsa sightings of sharks? Thats on the other side of the bay...near the marine core base right? I have talked with a girl who'd seen a 9 feet racing in the shorbreak by Naish's house...gives me the chills....

alex

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:15 am

"To Piss or not to Piss"